Unicraft - Gu-VRD turbojet-powered fighter. ##FINISHED##

JOCKNEY

The secret to the successful completion of any Blitzbuild is preparation, simplicity of kit assembly, and attention to detail.

So it was only natural that Unicraft immediately came to mind.

Picture below, along with the history of an aircraft I doubt many of you will have heard of, 

IMG_5418

Info below from Unicraft

History
In early 1943 when not only there were no captured examples of jet engines and aircraft, but even there was no information at all about German and British turbojet-powered aircraft in the Soviet Union, the designer M.I.Goudkov has completed a prototype design study of the Gu-VRD turbojet-powered fighter. 
The project documentation was submitted on March 10, 1943. The Gu-VRD project was reviewed at NII VVS (Scientific Research Institute of the Air Force). A resolution of the leadership of the institute dated April 10, 1943 ordered: "Prepare urgently an evaluation review of the superfast fighter-interceptor of M.I.Goudkov design powered by Lyulka engine". 
Department chief I.I.Safronov wrote in his memo of 17 April 1943: "... Apparently, the aircraft would fly with the claimed speed, but the problem is that as of today there is no engine, just the name of its designer. Hence, the emphasis is to be on the engine". 
Gu-VRD was a monoplane with the engine placed in the bottom of the fuselage aft of the nose section. The side view of the aircraft had a step behind the engine's nozzle after which the fuselage had a much lesser cross section. Later this layout was named "stepped" and was used in the first Russian jet fighters MiG-9, Yak-15, La-150 and others. Some sources claimed that the stepped layout originated from German design studies of 1944- 1945. It is evident now that the stepped layout appeared in the USSR in 1943 without any foreign influence. 
The tipped nose of the aircraft had four segmented air intakes. The wing had trapezoid plane with curved tips. The horizontal and vertical tail design was standard. The retractable landing gear had two main legs and a small tail wheel. 
In the meantime Goudkov in his explanatory memo to the project wrote that by that time a combustion chamber of Lyulka engine had been tested, a two-stage axial compressor had been built and tested, achieving 1.25 compression ratio in each stage with 0.75 energy efficiency ratio, both figures rendered quite successful. An engine prototype rated at 750kg of static thrust had been designed and built to 70% readiness. Goudkov noted that the engine itself and majority of Lyulka design team were in Moscow. Lyulka planned to begin developing an engine rated at 1,500kg thrust. The engine had 700kg weight, 0.9m diameter and 2.1m length. 
Due to the Lyulka engine release delays the Gu-VRD was never completed, staying however one of the world's first JET FIGHTER projects. 
Wing Area 11m2 
Max.Weight 2,250kg 
Speed (sea level) 870km/h (calculated) 
Speed (6000 m) 900-1000km/h (calculated) 
Climb to 5000m 1.39min 
Range 700km 
Endurance 1h 
Landing Speed 141km/h 
Take-off Run 222 m, later considered to be too optimistic 
Armament 1x20mm ShVAK cannon 200rpg 
1x12.7mm BS gun 200rpg 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on "Samolyotostroyenie v SSSR (1917- 1945)" [Aircraft Development in the USSR], Vol 2, published by TsAGI in 1994. Prepared by Alexander Velovich.

Good luck everyone 

cheers Pat

• Like 14

Hi Pat,

lucky you! What I wouldn't give to have all these lovely, lovely butt joints to deal with!!!

You really keep the best for yourself!

Silly question: when did you go through such an existentialist crisis that Unicraft kits became a must-buy?

I shall be watching!!!

Have fun.

JR

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

lucky you! What I wouldn't give to have all these lovely, lovely butt joints to deal with!!!

You really keep the best for yourself!

Silly question: when did you go through such an existentialist crisis that Unicraft kits became a must-buy?

I shall be watching!!!

Have fun.

JR

There were a number of options to repent for past indiscretions 

1. Self flagellation, too much effort and I don't have the stamina. 👎

2. Act of confession, that's soul bearing stuff and if I have to go over all the misdemeanors, I'll miss Christmas altogether. 👎

3. Purchase something unique from Unicraft, repent, swear continuously throughout the build👍

The fit (I mean this in the broadest sense) of parts is so bad, I'm going to have to post a health warning before I show any pictures !

It's even got a vacform canopy so that's got the potential for disaster as well !

Happy days 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I can honestly say that the parts look far superior to the example I have of their MiG.7, which had short-moulding and resin intrusions (large blobs on the surface and making the shape difficult to make out.  It had airholes pretty well everywhere and mold lines.  After considerable (if sporadic, for obvious reasons!) cutting, filing, filling and smoothing sessions I have reached a stage where it looks only somewhat inferior to yours.  Fit?  Don't make me cry...  Some kits are meant to try our dedication to the cause of modelling.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jean said:

I think it was when he had that batch of Poitín made with green potatoes - rumour has it he also purchased some of those vac form things?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I think it was when he had that batch of Poitín made with green potatoes - rumour has it he also purchased some of those vac form things?

Its all true, a big boy made me do it !

• Haha 4

Pat.

You mad impetuous fool...

I have finished one unicraft model, their MiG Skat. I did it with its wheels up and would strongly recommend that. It solves many of the laughable flaws of unicraft kits at a stroke. Paint the cockpit; assemble; cover everything, especially wheel wells with epoxy putty; put in a warm place. Then, carve and sand approximate desired shape out of blob of resin and putty; paint; stick on transparency; insert stick underneath; enjoy approbation of fellow blitz(en)ers.

The MiG Skat took me about six months...so, I don't see how you can possibly go wrong.

Alan 

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

Pat.

You mad impetuous fool...

I have finished one unicraft model, their MiG Skat. I did it with its wheels up and would strongly recommend that. It solves many of the laughable flaws of unicraft kits at a stroke. Paint the cockpit; assemble; cover everything, especially wheel wells with epoxy putty; put in a warm place. Then, carve and sand approximate desired shape out of blob of resin and putty; paint; stick on transparency; insert stick underneath; enjoy approbation of fellow blitz(en)ers.

The MiG Skat took me about six months...so, I don't see how you can possibly go wrong.

Alan 

Thanks Alan

I'm hoping to trim a bit of time off with the use of the Aga in the kitchen and Mrs Jockneys hair drier, I've got previous with a Unicraft model in a Blitzbuild see below

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235025918-unicraft-luft-46-schwalbe-resin-lost-virginity-finished/

As you say what can possibly go wrong :tmi:

Cheers Pat

Ok, First of all, the Jockney household is not a happy place as the induction hob has packed up on the cooker (Fault E2 ?) so we still haven't had Christmas dinner !

However, I managed to sneak away for a bit of covert modelling during the wailing and nashing of teeth !

IMG_5424

Going to start with both fuselage halves needs a floor and an instrument panel to be scratch built, so need to find materials.

This Heller Simoun sprue can be recycled to make the floor and instrument panel

IMG_5425

So the tactic is to paint stuff, and allow the no building time for stuff to dry, so some parts painted, need to look for undercarriage legs as the kit ones are useless, a control column and do some research on paint colours.

IMG_5426

Sorry about the above photo it was 15:03

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Session restart

IMG_5427

Cockpit assembled

IMG_5428

Argument with a clamp, yes the resin is very brittle !

IMG_5429

Wings on , MIND THE GAP !

IMG_5432

IMG_5433

IMG_5434

No I didn't break that bit of the wing off, it wasn't in the box....

Still, can't get any worse can it ?

IMG_5437

This is the tail, which appears to have a piece missing so needs the fuselage extending...

So drill out the tail, use a splint on the inside, electric cable with the insulation left on, so..

IMG_5438

When you glue them together, you can adjust it for length and twist

IMG_5441

Now just a small bit of filler, that you will hardly notice

IMG_5442

IMG_5443

IMG_5444

So there you have it, Tamiya eat your heart out guys, you've got a lot to learn !

cheers Pat

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

On 12/23/2020 at 10:41 AM, JOCKNEY said:
On 12/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Do you have a plan B, just in case you run into any problems?

Yes, carve something out of the mess that looks close to the picture on the box, and lie convincingly  :P

I'd have thought a better option would be to flee the country.

Still, despite the odds being stacked against you, it is starting to look like an Aeroplane. Well played, Sir!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Not struggling are you Pat? It all looks so simple. 

Just between you and me Big H, I had it finished in 25 minutes, I took lots of pictures and I just upload them occasionally to keep the suspense going ! :giggle:

• Haha 6

So having fessed up to having finished this one ages ago, here's a few more pictures 

IMG_5445

The undercarriage legs are completely useless, looks like one had been broken and glued badly by the kits previous owner and the other leg was badly deformed.

Therefore I've decided to fall back on an old favourite, 2.5mm copper cable, bent to take the wheel and I will drill the inner wing to accommodate it.

IMG_5446

No prizes for looks but functions ok, sounds like me come to think of it !

Also managed to extract something resembling a canopy from the vacformed plastic bubble that came with the kit, blue tack and a new blade.

Finally, lots of sanding and refilling, not perfect by any means but starting to get better

IMG_5447

I've been giving some thought to colours, so thinking of doing the later 2 tone grey rather than the earlier green and brown. As it never got to fly and couldn't have done until they designed and built a suitable engine, it would likely have ended up the later colours in any case.

More later

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Bit more done last night / this morning

IMG_5448

Made and fitted the undercarriage, tried my best to get the canopy to fit (failed) lost the will to live sanding and filling, so decided to get some paint on to lift the mood.

IMG_5449

Big push today to get it finished !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

If you can get the windscreen on there’s always a canopy open option. We don’t know what it’s meant to look like so anything from the spares box glued on anyhow will work, just as long as you tell us it’s carefully researched from very obscure sources...

:wicked:
Adrian

• Haha 1

Thanks for the tip Adrian, started masking the canopy

IMG_5450

Please don't look to carefully at the areas of filler, I will revisit these another time as they are definitely as rough as a badgers bottom in places, however I'm determined to finish it.

IMG_5451

• Like 1