Minicraft 1/16 MG TC Midget

Hi Folks

This is the first car I have done since I was a kid, which was built in probably less than an hour including gloss paint by brush.  Will leave the rest to your imagination, the only others are 1/35 military vehicles which I think you will agree is a different kettle of fish.

The reason that this is my first is that I have always been put off of cars because of chrome.  Nice shiny parts but by the time you have sanded, scraped, filed all the flash etc you will be lucky to have 30% chrome & 70% bare plastic.  I bought this in the 90's (why I dont know) and I think the only thing that was available at the time was bare metal foil, never used it but understand it is a b***** to apply. Then in the last year getting back into it and getting the stash of the loft was going to sell the MG, why.....chrome. Then I stumbled across Molotow Liquid Chrome (how things have changed).

So here it is

Minicraft 1/16 MG TC Midget

Paints: Tamiya Acrylics.
(Here we go) Halfords Grey Primer, Gloss Black & Burgundy Red
Molotow Liquid Chrome: initially sprayed but not knowing about drying times eventually brush painted

Weathering: Flory Washes

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see I have a long way to go, the paint finish especially & chrome among everything else.  Ive weathered it a bit as Im not a great fan of factory/concourse, maybe the next one 

I suppose you could say this is a bit of a test bed for future builds.  I have acquired on the basis of Molotow a kit Ive always wanted to make, the Airfix 1/12 4.5ltr Bentley Blower, a kit from the early 70's so should be good on the molds

The SHMBO loves the Bentley and has asked if Im going to do that next, Ive said that I think I need to maybe do a couple more before I tackle the Bentley, get my skill levels up, nudge nudge wink wink say no more.....amazingly I got the green light......happy days

I thought I would finish this today but completed it on Friday (I think......... losing track of time).  My good friend and neighbour saw it yesterday and said "Ill be back in a minute"  When he returned he gave me this (see below) and said "can you do this for me please". Guess what my next project is? I think he was waiting for me to finish the MG

spacer.png
Hope you like

Si  

• Like 31

2 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

As you can see I have a long way to go, the paint finish especially & chrome among everything else.  Ive weathered it a bit as Im not a great fan of factory/concourse, maybe the next one 

I reckon you have struck a good balance there with the weathering - it has the look of a much used but also looked after car, which I think suits this sort of vehicle well. I have one of these too, but I suspect that it will end up being used as the donor for a project that I have in mind which is to build one of my favourite prewar cars.

2 hours ago, Paul H said:

I reckon you have struck a good balance there with the weathering - it has the look of a much used but also looked after car, which I think suits this sort of vehicle well. I have one of these too, but I suspect that it will end up being used as the donor for a project that I have in mind which is to build one of my favourite prewar cars.

Thanks very much Paul, if you don't mind me asking what is your pre-war favourite car? I love anything old from the Model T to US Muscle cars, Lamborghini Muira and anything in between, Austin 7, Citroen 2CV. Just wish they did them all in 1/16.

Thanks again 

Si

2 hours ago, Spiny said:

That looks good to me, especially for a first car in 30 years. Got to agree with you that the chrome pen is very, very useful.

Thanks Spiny. Love the Molotow just have to get my head around using it

Thanks again 

Si 

35 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

Thanks very much Paul, if you don't mind me asking what is your pre-war favourite car? I love anything old from the Model T to US Muscle cars, Lamborghini Muira and anything in between, Austin 7, Citroen 2CV. Just wish they did them all in 1/16.

Thanks again 

Si

In this case, it would be a Riley Imp, MPH or Lynx Sprite.  I suspect that my MG kit will be the basis of an Imp or MPH (possibly both if I can find another kit for the right money).  I also have the 1:16 SS Jaguar 100 kit, which I also bought for this - size wise, that is probably better suited to become a Lynx Sprite.  I'm not intending to go the full Wingrove, hence needing the donor kits for things like wire wheels & tyres, as well as numerous other bits & pieces.  No doubt the chassis will be modified rather than fully scratch built too, but I haven't finished creating all the drawings yet.

44 minutes ago, Paul H said:

In this case, it would be a Riley Imp, MPH or Lynx Sprite.  I suspect that my MG kit will be the basis of an Imp or MPH (possibly both if I can find another kit for the right money).  I also have the 1:16 SS Jaguar 100 kit, which I also bought for this - size wise, that is probably better suited to become a Lynx Sprite.  I'm not intending to go the full Wingrove, hence needing the donor kits for things like wire wheels & tyres, as well as numerous other bits & pieces.  No doubt the chassis will be modified rather than fully scratch built too, but I haven't finished creating all the drawings yet.

I must admit Paul I had never seen or heard about these cars. I've just looked it up on Google though and now I see exactly where you are coming from, beautiful cars.

It must be a serious hobby for you if you are creating drawings for it?

Well done, Simon. The finish you gave it looks very good on this little one. And the Samba, great "next project"! I built the same kit a couple of years ago when I returned to this hobby of ours. I loved it. Enjoy!

13 minutes ago, Jonners said:

That looks the business! To my mind the TC was the best-looking of the T series MGs: classy and well-proportioned. Unfortunately, having tried, I'm simply too tall for the real thing!

Jon

Thank you Jon much appreciated.

My old boss (funnily enough was Jon too) was a complete petrol head. For 16 years we shared a lift into London every day. He was 6'7" and 20 odd stone and one day he said I'm going to get a Mazda MX5.....hmmm I thought....madman. But he did, his knees were up 11 & 2 o'clock on the steering wheel but he managed beautifully, was great, an everyday car for many years. We had such a blast especially in the summer.

I have one myself but it needs work and an MOT😱😭, fantastic little sports car.

Thanks again 

Si 

19 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Beautiful! Love the color (not that there's anything wrong with British Racing Green!).

Hi Space Ranger

Thanks you.

My favourite colour is green, at the top of them is BRG. I have a die cast Aston DB5 in BRG that I've had for years. Having only just got back into the hobby and the MG being my first car. I was tempted with BRG (and the VW T1 Samba Bus which is my next project). But thought a fleet of cars all in BRG would be a bit much...........hmmm then again? 🥴🤣

Thanks again 

Si 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Simon Dyer said:

Hi Space Ranger

Thanks you.

My favourite colour is green, at the top of them is BRG. I have a die cast Aston DB5 in BRG that I've had for years. Having only just got back into the hobby and the MG being my first car. I was tempted with BRG (and the VW T1 Samba Bus which is my next project). But thought a fleet of cars all in BRG would be a bit much...........hmmm then again? 🥴🤣

Thanks again 

Si 

In my opinion, a fleet of British cars in BRG is entirely as appropriate as a fleet of Ferraris in Rosso Corsa! But don't take just my word for it; the only British car I've owned, a '68 MGB-GT, was Pale Primrose!