334Sqn Norwegian Air Force F-104g

typhoon1

Hi There

I am in the finishing stages of my 334Sqn Norwegian F-104g,it has the sidewinder rails under the fuselage but i wanted to put a couple of sidewinders on them did they carry training ones if so what is the colour could any one please help. 

Kind Regards 

Craig

@RidgeRunner  might be the guy to help you on that one, as he is rather fond of Belgian and Norwegian Zippers! @Starfighter might also be able to help you. My guess would be a blue training round or an AMI body that acted like an AIM-9 but stayed on the rail. I'm not well-versed on 'modern' weenie cookers, so they would be my main go-to sources!

Mike

5 hours ago, typhoon1 said:

Hi There

I am in the finishing stages of my 334Sqn Norwegian F-104g,it has the sidewinder rails under the fuselage but i wanted to put a couple of sidewinders on them did they carry training ones if so what is the colour could any one please help. 

Kind Regards 

Craig

Do you have a photo of this aircraft in this configuration? I can dig out my references tomorrow but from memory 334skv was a ground attack unit. However, I have something in my mind that says it was a temporary air defence unit at one point too. 

Martin

The RNoAF Starfighters mainly carried AIM-9B's until well into the 70's when the AIM-9J became available. These were all white. Captive rounds with the usual blue band around the missile body. 
As many of the period photos are black and white, it can be difficult to descern whether the pictured missiles are live or inert, but this really doesn't matter as it is well know that captive rounds have the blue band. 
I have not seen photos of RNoAF Starfighters carrying captive missiles with full-color missile body, hence I tend to believe that they were mostly white with the said blue band. 

During the transition to the F-16, 334sq took over QRA mission, hence they were seen carrying AIM-9J on fuselage pylons intercepting amongst others USSR Badgers. I have a photo of 730 in this configuration. 

Edited by Boman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First, 334 Squadron operated the CF-104 variant of the Starfighter, not the F-104G. There are some differences. The F-104G was operated by 331 Squadron though.

I have never seen blue Sidewinders on Norwegian Starfighters. Only white, with the appropriate coloured bands.

Nils

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2020 at 10:45 PM, RidgeRunner said:

I can dig out my references tomorrow but from memory 334skv was a ground attack unit. However, I have something in my mind that says it was a temporary air defence unit at one point too. 

I checked. and 334skv were an air defence unit during the run down prior to F-16 operations. Apart from this they were a pure ground attack unit. I looked in the "Luftforsvart" Nordic Airpower book and there are no photos of these machines with sidewinders or even the rails. I'm sorry I cant help more.

Martin