Heller 1/72 Arado Ar 96 (162)

davecov

Another contribution of mine to this GB will be the Heller 1/72 Arado Ar 96 (162)

Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_001.JPG

Like some of my other GB builds, it will be a no-nonsense OOB build with no aftermarket items.

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks lads!

Before I get down to starting the build, here are some pictures of the box contents first.

Parts are crisply moulded with almost no flash and no dodgy seams to talk about:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_002.JPG

The transparency is crisply moulded and the decals are in register and well printed. However, the decals have yellowed so I have put them under a UV lamp to remove the yellowing. There are decals (and optional parts) for Ar 96 B-1 or Ar 96 B-5 machines:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_003.JPG

The instructions come on a double-sided A4 sheet. First side shows history of the real subject and list of parts on the left. In the centre is an exploded diagram with each part labelled with a paint colour, below which is a grayscale painting profile with details of decal placement. On the right hand side is a description of the sequence of assembly:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_005.JPG

The reverse side has the instructions and history written in English and German:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_004.JPG

Parts were removed from the sprues and cleaned up:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_006.JPG

I noticed from other BMer's builds that the main undercarriage legs have to be glued early in the build, before the wing halves are glued together. I decided that I would do it a different way. I cut the rear locating pin from the legs and they will be fitted at the end of the build. I also reduced the height of the remaining pin slightly to ensure a snug fit:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_007.JPG

The interior was assembled and fitted to the fuselage, the spinner cap fitted to the prop and the hub had a lot of filler applied:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_008.JPG

Filler was applied to some large ejector pin marks inside the upper wing halves:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_009.JPG

The canopy has been masked for painting:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_010.JPG

All filler has been sanded and I can start on the painting:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_011.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 5

A quick report to say that painting has begun.

The interior was given a coat of H31 Matt Slate Grey. Once dry, I won't be adding detailing to the cockpit apart from some painted seatbelts on the seats:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_012.JPG

Aluminium and Black parts were sprayed with a coat of gloss black base:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_013.JPG

Hopefully, i will be able to get the fuselage and wings buttoned up tonight.

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 2

A bit more progress to report.

The seatbelts were painted:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_014.JPG

Instrument panel dials picked out (badly), a task that should have been done before fitting the cockpit to the fuselage:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_015.JPG

Fuselage halves joined as were the wings. The fuselage halves weren't a very good fit due to the thickness of the plastic on the left side being thicker than the right in some areas. This was especially true above the instrument panel where the fuselage needed thinning quite a bit:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_016.JPG

Filler was applied to the fuselage and tailplane fitted. Propellor assembly was painted matt black and the main undercarriage legs painted with Alclad 2 ALC-101 Aluminium:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_017.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Dave. Not a bad little kit is it? Interested to hear about the disparity in thickness of the fuselage halves in places. Not a problem I had with my build, but it was a later 1980 release. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Steve

• Like 1

A little more progress.

The wing roots needed plastic card strips each side. Once dry they were trimmed and sanded to shape:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_018.JPG

The wing roots are ready for the wings now and all remaining filler on the fuselage was sanded. The canopy has been glued to the fuselage and wheels fitted to undercarriage wheels:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_019.JPG

Wings have been glued to the fuselage:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_020.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 2

Looking good Dave. Nice to see another Arado coming together. Interesting to note that the "black box" issue that I built had different wheels. What plans have you got for the colour scheme?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little report to let you know this build hasn't been forgotten. I was away from home for 12 days and only got back to the bench a couple of days ago.

When I finally got to work on this build again, I applied some filler around gaps between the fuselage and wings and left it to dry. Last night, I started sanding the filler and the wings made a loud cracking noise and the join on the starboard side broke apart. I glued and clamped the join and I will fill and sand it again tomorrow, hopefully with no further dramas:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_021.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat. Thanks for asking!

I did make a little more progress with the front of the engine glued on and all filling and sanding is complete. I was then ready to start painting but real-life has got in the way of this build. My modelling den is a tip and I doubt if I will be back modelling again for a little while yet. Whenever that is, the Arado will be finished!

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I last reported in on this build. Unfortunately, other things have got in the way and the GB Gallery being locked about a week before a possible completion, meant that I put it to one side as there was no longer a rush.

A couple of days ago I "rediscovered" this build under two other kit boxes that I had been working on and got going again. All joints were sanded, a coat of primer sprayed on, followed by H247 Matt Light Blue and some H31 Matt Slate Grey. I then masked off the yellow sections, painted them white followed by a first coat of yellow:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_022.JPG

I fitted the undercarriage and removed the masking of the yellow sections. I will paint another coat of yellow before painting the black section under the nose:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_023.JPG

That is all for now but at least I am finally near to the end.

Dave

• Like 1

My final report.

Ready for Klearing and decals:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_024.JPG

Oh, dear! Decals were going to be a problem...:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_025.JPG

In the end, the "31" numerals had to be PVA'd in place and I used Balkenkreuz and Swastikas from the spares box.
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_026.JPG

Finished:
Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_027.JPG

Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_028.JPG

Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_029.JPG

Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_030.JPG

Heller_72_Arado_96_2020_BM_GB_031.JPG

What started off as a nice little build morphed into bit of a nightmare but I got there in the end, albeit too late for the GB Gallery. Perhaps that is just as well.

Dave

• Like 5