1/72nd Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vc, 607 (County of Durham) Sqn, SEAC India/Burma, 1943/44

Hiya Folks,

The Spitfire Mk.Vc was probably the most widespread used variant of the Spitfire,... especially where it comes to colour schemes,..... serving in the UK, Europe, Middle East, Italy, Burma and Australia,...... and finally a mainstream kit of this much needed type has arrived thanks to Airfix! Personally I found it to be a delight to build,..... the model was brush painted and here is the WIP;

Although the decal options are great, I already had them represented in 1/48th scale on other models so for my first model (I shall be buying many more!) I chose to represent an aircraft of 607 (County of Durham) Sqn, Auxiliary Air Force, based on the India/Burma border in 1943/44 and flown by Australian Flying Officer Colin Doudy RAAF who named it `Sheana II' after his Scottish fiancee who he later married, hence the thistle insignia under the windcreen. The decals came from the excellent DK Decals SEAC Spitfires sheet.

72083-SEAC-Spitfire-ZS.jpg

Here is a 615 Sqn Spit around the same time;

unnamed-1.jpg

Also,....for those going for Lawrence Weggery`s Spit,..... here is his first Spit Vc, Verna June, with large roundels but no large fern on the nose;

spitfire-VENTURA-1.jpg

And Verna June II, with smaller markings and the fern on the nose;

weggery-1.jpg

And later, when Mk.VIII`s arrived the Mk.Vc`s were relegated to training units in India;

unnamed.jpg

I don`t have a photo of Colin Doudy`s `Sheana II' to post here,..... but a photo can be seen on page 151 of Norman Franks excellent book Spitfires Over the Arakan and also page 29 of Andrew Thomas equally good Osprey Aces 87 book Spitfire Aces of Burma and the Pacific.

And here is the model,.... and yes I have already lost the pitot,..... so I shall parley with the carpet monster to try and return it,.. along with the spinner from my latest  1/48th Tiger Moth! Again, it is a shame that Airfix did not provide a rear view mirror for the windscreen even if it was moulded in;

DSCF9327-NEW.jpg

DSCF9348-NEW.jpg

DSCF9350-NEW.jpg

DSCF9353-NEW.jpg

DSCF9325-NEW.jpg

DSCF9356-NEW.jpg

DSCF9357-NEW.jpg

DSCF9358-NEW.jpg

DSCF9355-NEW.jpg

DSCF9354-NEW.jpg

DSCF9311-NEW.jpg

I can highly recommend this kit and will be buying many more!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 60
  • Thanks 2

The new Spitfire Vc looks really great especially when the kit is build by a skillful and experienced modeller like you. 👍 The DK decals are an excellent choice. Their sheets always feature an overwhelming number of indivdual aircraft. So I am looking forward to seeing you next excellent Spitfire Vc in SEAC colors very soon. 

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Like 2

Your Spitfire looks real good Tony.  Odd how the filter appears “ungainly” and “out of place” on the Spitfire but yet “right at home” on the Hurricane.  Anyways, you produced another winner Tony!!!!! :elephant:

Mike

• Like 1

Excellent result! I followed the WiP thread with great interest, and will be following in your footsteps with some builds of my own.

There are some very interesting decal sets about, not just DK's, so this is a kit that'll demand several revisits :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Great work Tony as usual your builds are always fascinating and this was certainly no exception.   It is great to have a Vc now and have mine on the way.  Another Tiggie too looking forward to seeing that.

Cracking job on the Spitfire it looks fantastic and hopefully a winner for Airfix. 

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mick b said:

what is it with Airfix and their aversion to rear view mirrors!?

Quick, someone fire up the 3D printer! You can instantly corner the market :P

• Like 1

Fantastic looking build Tony. I think i must get myself a couple of these new V's. Ive just finished an old Heller Vb but am not that pleased with it as the canopy i used doesn't look right. Need some state of the art V's!

Terry

PS. I also lost my pitot!

• Like 1

Nice to see one finished so quickly. I picked one up last week.

I was bit annoyed that they don't supply a rear view mirror, even though it's shown prominently in the box art. However, in every other respect it looks a lovely kit.

• Like 1

Very nice work Tony, I have just received mine direct from Airfix (just before Brexit) and already begin one. I don't know witch deco first, I have also a lot of DK decals.

One from Malta perhaps 

Alain

PS : what dit you use for wheels ?

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind comments everybody,...... I`ve been offline for a few days due to a broken Modem and have just got back on line! 

Have a great Christmas,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2