IJN Sōryū | Aoshima AOS14851 | 1/700

My first finished ship ever.

For starters, I thought I would do something easy, an aircraft carrier – it fell on IJN Sōryū, but when the model arrived I saw what I bought. The old Aoshima, now I know why the prices of Aoshima’s Sōryū vary. The new one is much better, I have also bought it with some add-ons.

In this model, Aoshima couldn’t decide whether she was doing Sōryū or Hiryū , hence some issues with the island and the mast behind it. Complete lack of details. Panel lines on the deck which airplanes would be likely to crash into during take-off or landing. Well, but for the first model, let it be.

I’ve only replaced the 127 mm artillery, anchors and boats with a set of accessories from Fujimi, added etched railings, a few more details from the Fujimi set. I opened the funnels, that were just solid blocks. The nets are my own work, they turned out so so. Rigging done with Uschi 0.02 mm lines, only the ones attached to the mast behind the island have been made of the stretched sprue (and I already know that this is not the good choice in this scale). One could probably add some more details to the sides, but I stopped myself. It was just supposed to be a study if I would like it. And I like it a lot!

I also decided to make water. The waves are probably a bit exaggerated, but the work on making this stand (the first one in my life too) brought me a lot of fun.

Three airplanes on the deck (just awful) from the box. 

Sorry for poor photos, somehow I couldn't get the right depth of field.

Hope you like it anyway :)

WQANuq.jpg

7EaAjQ.jpg

cZAsXf.jpg

PAzj6C.jpg

bgh9OS.jpg

C0IG6L.jpg

hLHy0s.jpg

aAm2eS.jpg

hD30zq.jpg

• Like 22

Gidday Hubert, that's a nice model you've done. I'd like to make some more Japanese ships in the future, but I like to work in 1/600 scale if I can, 1/700 if I can't. I think you photos are OK. What I often do is set the camera to zoom in about half way, then physically move back until the entire required subject is in the photo. By doing this the majority of the ship is at a much similar distance from the camera, which negates somewhat the depth-of-field issues. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

I like this very much - nicely crafted model in a very realistic sea (what did you use?). The flightdeck looks a bit deserted, are they all over Pearl Harbor?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toryu said:

a very realistic sea (what did you use?)

It's just a kitchen foil glued to the piece of balsa wood. Painted with Tamiya paints (various shades of green, blue, sea blue, clear blue, gloss clear and the white foam from AK Interactive.  The flight deck is almost empty indeed, because these Aoshima's little planes from the box were so awful, that I just didn't feel like making them at all, and didn't want to waste anything better for such a poor, and old kit. Saving them for the newer and much better kits, have already bought few more of these Japanese aircraft carriers, for me there's definitely something eye-catching in these ships.

Thanks for comment :)   

Really Beautiful work!   I work mostly in 1/72 aircraft, with some armor - but the fact I served a career in US Navy means that I really have to do some Vessels.     I have the Tamiya Aircraft Carrier (Akagi?) and the USS Alabama......your work inspires me to get cracking on that carrier!

• Like 1