North American P-51H Mustang, Modelsvit, 1/48

This model depicts P-51H-5-NA 44-64415 in service with the National Advisory Council for Aeronautics (N.A.C.A.) Ames Aeronautical Laboratory at Moffett Field, California, ca. 1957.

This is the excellent Modelsvit kit. The gunsight was omitted, as were the wing guns and tailwhell bay doors. The only correction needed was to close the main landing gear doors, as these were always closed on the P-51H after every gear extension. (Modelsvit has erroneously designed them to be positioned open.)

I used a few of the decals from the Caracal P-51H sheet: the data stencil and the NACA emblem on the fin, and the red emergency arrows, which are unfortunately printed upsided down. Caracal’s research for this airplane is a little iffy, as it doesn’t include the NACA-130 markings for the wings. Not that that mattered much, as I cut masks and painted all these markings anyway.

P-51H wings were primed in zinc chromate and painted with aluminum lacquer, so I depicted wear and tear in the wing root areas. The wings are finished in Alclad High Speed Aluminum. The fuselage is MRP White and Dark Aluminum.

This airplane survives is (was?) owned by Bill Whittington, and until recently was flown in RAF markings as N49WB, but was deregistered in 2018.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png