New Tamiya announcement January 25th 2021

One 48

7 minutes ago, zaxos345 said:

Yes but....which variant of P-40???

John

If its Vintage Wings - a P40N

http://www.vintagewings.ca/Aircraft/tabid/66/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/12/The-WC-Stocky-Edwards-Curtiss-P40-N-Kittyhawk.aspx

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 1:53 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I think i'm right in saying that during the BoB Hurricanes had a higher 'Kill Ratio" than Spits? and due to their construction, could take more battle damage and make it home compared to a Spitfire ? anyway i digress.

IIRC, there were nearly twice as many Hurricanes available in the BOB, when compared to Spitfires. Also, the Hurris tended to go after the bombers, so that's one reason the Hurri had more kills (that's not to denigrate the noble efforts of the Hurricane pilots in any way - the pilots of both airframes did an amazing job at a desperate time). 

Chris.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

IIRC, there were nearly twice as many Hurricanes available in the BOB, when compared to Spitfires. Also, the Hurris tended to go after the bombers, so that's one reason the Hurri had more kills (that's not to denigrate the noble efforts of the Hurricane pilots in any way - the pilots of both airframes did an amazing job at a desperate time). 

Chris.   

Yes Chris. that's correct. Maybe 16 ? odd squadrons of Spits  and 39? odd squadrons of Hurricanes.

also Flying in the almost suicidal  'Vic' 3s  against the Rotte or Schwarm formations as used by the Germans. (Only the leader could scan the sky effectively- the other two pilots having to concentration on formation ). Inexperienced pilots some with 7 hours on type against some very experienced fighter 'aces' with more ammunition (40 secs v 13 seconds) and punchier guns. It's quite amazing an outcome all considered! Also the first effective 'defeat' suffered by Germany.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Hope its a Hurricane (a good 1/32 Kit that is not multimedia is long overdue) 

I'm with you regarding multimedia. Yes, there are many who love it and use it most effectively, as seen on many of the RFI's here. State of the art being what it is now in injection molded kits, I'm quite happy with working with plastic alone. I honestly don't do well with tiny parts (or sharp metal ones either, for that matter). Personal opinion, mind you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I'm with you regarding multimedia. Yes, there are many who love it and use it most effectively, as seen on many of the RFI's here. State of the art being what it is now in injection molded kits, I'm quite happy with working with plastic alone. I honestly don't do well with tiny parts (or sharp metal ones either, for that matter). Personal opinion, mind you. 

Make that 2 of us. 

Tamiya have the balance about right.

What ever it is Tamiya will be richer and we will be poorer.

Roll on the 25th.

Dick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It does seem to be pointing towards a P40, I would prefer it to be in 1/48, my built Hasegawa 1/32 P40 is more than fine for me, but of course Tamiya would really go to town on it with detailed engine, gun bays and superb engineering, so would still buy one if it is ... just for the sheer pleasure of building it (have one of each of all Tamiya's 1/32 bar the Tomcat) a P38 in 1/32 would be to die for, same goes for a 109 or 190 IMHO and yep ... know there are plenty of those already, next choice would be a MK1 Hurricane.

Tamiya are such a tease, wonder what it is?

19 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Inexperienced pilots some with 7 hours on type against some very experienced fighter 'aces' with more ammunition (40 secs v 13 seconds) and punchier guns. It's quite amazing an outcome all considered! Also the first effective 'defeat' suffered by Germany.

I has always amazed me that some RAF pilots had so little actual flying time and the incredibly limited ammunition situation. Added to that, you had the lightweight nature of the .303 inch round (as opposed to the much more substantial .50 inch round). How the RAF pilots were able to shoot down so many Luftwaffe aircraft during the battle is beyond me. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

I has always amazed me that some RAF pilots had so little actual flying time and the incredibly limited ammunition situation. Added to that, you had the lightweight nature of the .303 inch round (as opposed to the much more substantial .50 inch round). How the RAF pilots were able to shoot so many Luftwaffe aircraft during the battle is beyond me. 

Chris. (

It is a wonder absolutely .One of the best books i've read on the BoB is "Fighter Boys" by Patrick Bishop. True Heroes these men ,( though many modestly deny this description.) I do have respect for the German participants too.  They realised the reality of their situation  fear, KanalKrankheit! Channel Sickness ! the long victorious road they had previously travelled ... ran out, just like their fighters petrol frequently did over southern England 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

If Tamiya have visited Wings Of Canada they have 2 to base their kit on. 

It is no secret they visited Vintage Wings of Canada and that is where they researched and measured their Spitfires, Mustang, Corsair, and the Mosquito (while it was on the Canadian tour). I knew about the Spitfire release nearly a year before it was announced. Only 6 months on the rest.

I have zero inside info this time, although several years ago they had the same access to their Hurricane and P-40. Personally I hope it is the Hurricane.

One thing Tamiya did promise to the owner that hasn’t come to fruition is a FAA Corsair.

• Like 1

5 days to go now, crowd is nearing fever pitch, what will it be?

1/32 P-38 Lightning, 1/48 P-40, 1/12 Motorcycle only I as a Biker enthusiast might have heard of, another 1/35 armour thingy with tracks that I have definitely never heard of, or was the whole rumour just hogwash to begin with? :)

Rumour of something is strong though and it never started here, we'll just have to wait and see ... not long now :)

2 hours ago, One 48 said:

5 days to go now, crowd is nearing fever pitch, what will it be?

1/12 Motorcycle only I as a Biker enthusiast might have heard of...

Oh if only. It'll never happen but I really wish Tamiya would do some of the real world bikes that I've spent many years on. CX500 or GT550 (with 1980s despatch rider figure in Rukkas and Derri boots), NTV650, CBF1000 and of course my favourite, the thoroughly underrated and much maligned NT700V Deauville - king of long distance commuting! 😀😄

But I guess the racers and exotica they do produce means you can at least own a bike you'd never be able to ride or afford.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IanC said:

Oh if only. It'll never happen but I really wish Tamiya would do some of the real world bikes that I've spent many years on. CX500 or GT550 (with 1980s despatch rider figure in Rukkas and Derri boots), NTV650, CBF1000 and of course my favourite, the thoroughly underrated and much maligned NT700V Deauville - king of long distance commuting! 😀😄

But I guess the racers and exotica they do produce means you can at least own a bike you'd never be able to ride or afford.

Now that the KLR 650 is being discontinued, a 1/6th scale version to honour its years of exemplary service would be nice, but I won’t be holding my breath

20 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Oh I can go one better than that in terms of pointless exclusives: I hope it's a Spitfire (or similar) that has already been done in all versions, in all scales but with a couple more rivets here and there. And it has to be moulded in a colour I like.

Hang on though - I forgot that's what most of the previous post were asking for, FFS.

• Haha 2

Never mind the wingy things, I note that the latest 1/48 Armour is the T34/85 and they've done a proper job on it (not just sticking a big turret on the T34/76 chassis)

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/32599/index.htm

spacer.png

This is model number 99 in the range. Shirley the next up has to be the Centurion? 

29 minutes ago, ABeck said:

Anything but a retooled Lanc is a disappointment. Just immagine they do another Super Hornet......

Not sure they'd do a Super Hornet. I'm inclined to believe they'd do something from the past, as far as jets go. Something that's been done before but Tamiya would do it in far better form. F-111 maybe. Perhaps an RA-5C. The best ever F-100 maybe? All of these in 1/48 scale. In 1/32 scale I'd be inclined to believe it'll be an F-100 or F-105.

14 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I has always amazed me that some RAF pilots had so little actual flying time and the incredibly limited ammunition situation. Added to that, you had the lightweight nature of the .303 inch round (as opposed to the much more substantial .50 inch round). How the RAF pilots were able to shoot down so many Luftwaffe aircraft during the battle is beyond me. 

Chris. 

This is a very fair point - especially with the cannon equipped opposition! However there is never put the counter argument that the idea of having 8 guns was to put a shotgun type spread of lead downrange rather than the 'rifle' bullet of a slower firing - and at the time unreliable -  cannon. Frankly the AM didnt have much faith in their pilots being able to hit a barn door. That being said and again no-one ever mentions this - an 8 gun fighter was quite something in the mid-late 30s and also if you've ever seen the damage a .303 MG can do at medium-short range then 8 of them converging on the same spot is still pretty devastating. The fact is that despite all the historians tutting and saying how awful the .303 was - it was available in large numbers when resources were short and it DID THE JOB! 

TT

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Yes Chris. that's correct. Maybe 16 ? odd squadrons of Spits  and 39? odd squadrons of Hurricanes.

also Flying in the almost suicidal  'Vic' 3s  against the Rotte or Schwarm formations as used by the Germans. (Only the leader could scan the sky effectively- the other two pilots having to concentration on formation ). Inexperienced pilots some with 7 hours on type against some very experienced fighter 'aces' with more ammunition (40 secs v 13 seconds) and punchier guns. It's quite amazing an outcome all considered! Also the first effective 'defeat' suffered by Germany.  

I would heartily recommend Stephen Bungay's The Most Dangerous Enemy if you have even the slightest interest in the Battle Of Britain. Being an analyst, he  makes use of combat data in a way I haven't seen by anyone else. The breakdown of the combats make for  very interesting reading!

Regarding the '109's ammunition, remember that the cannons only had 60 rounds per gun, so the majority of that 40 seconds would be for just two 7.62mm guns. The eight Brownings on the RAF aircraft used a very effective type of ammunition. Although referred to as de Wilde, it was secret at the time and the RAF was quite happy to let everyone think it actually was de Wilde being used. It was certainly very effective against fighters, if not so much the bombers with their armour plate. Some bombers returned to base with literally hundreds of bullet holes in them. I've also read from surviving Luftwaffe pilots that flying into the tracer from eight MGs was a terrifying experience. Imagine trying to hold your nerve and not break away!

Another conclusion drawn by Bungay was that the MGFFs used by the '109s weren't as effective against Spitfires as has often been quoted. Their low muzzle velocity didn't give a lot of penetrating power, with the rounds tending to explode on contact with the Spitfires' skin. This would blow bloomin' great holes in them, but often not cause fatal structural damage. Certainly, the Spitfire was most survivable aircraft of all the combatants in the BoB, with the Hurricane coming third due to its propensity to burn. And you'd have to get in close with little deflection unless you really knew what you were doing. Bungay suggests that the '109s came out on top for the most part only when they had the element of surprise, bouncing and then diving away. Whenever the Germans were bounced or a dogfight developed, the RAF's fighters tended to dominate.

The RAF's tactics adapted too. Whilst inexperienced units still used the Vic, those that had seen combat quickly adopted better formations. But often, the numbers that attacked the Luftwaffe's formations were very small, this actually being to the advantage of the RAF, giving a "target rich environment" as it's called these days. You could fire at pretty much anything and almost guarantee it's a valid target, when the German aircraft could be getting in each other's way*. And while the RAF's formations were mostly small in number, they were more or less constant throughout the entire raid, causing a great deal of stress to the German crews. The squadron that intercepted the raid as it approached the coast could well be refuelled, rearmed and back as the Luftwaffe headed for home.

*This is reported to have happened to units of Leigh-Mallory's Big Wing on the few occasions they managed to turn up on time.