New Tamiya announcement January 25th 2021

One 48

10 hours ago, IanC said:

Perhaps unlikely given they already have a 1/72 Spit Mk I in the line-up,

they did a 1/48th Spitfire, and they retooled that.  The existing 72nd Spitfire has AFAIK all the same issues the 48th has.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, HMSLion said:

The other thing to remember about any speculation is that the Tamiya design team have not had the chance to leave Japan in nine or ten months.  I would therefore expect the next armor subject to be based on their big Saumur research trip (meaning probably French), or Japanese.  WRT aircraft, my gut keeps telling me 1/32 Fw-190...but I'm not sure if it's an A or D.

They are sitting on a lot data, when they developed their 1/32 Spitfires, Mustang, and Corsairs, Tamiya also accessed the owners Hurricane and gathered the same amount of data via the same methods as the other aircraft. That same warbird owner gave them access to the Avspecs Mosquito.

He also previously owned an F4U-4, which he arranged for them to visit. So not being out of the country doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yup, anything Tamiya might have measured that is near production release would have been measured before global restrictions happened ... the goal posts for speculation are still wide open lads :)

A new tool Tamiya 1/48 or 1/32 Hurricane would be awesome though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I just want a B-24 Liberator in 1:48 LOL

“M”  please ! 

He also previously owned an F4U-4, which he arranged for them to visit. So not being out of the country doesn’t necessarily mean anything.”

A -4 in 1/48 would be excellent ! 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

And this is really thinking outside the box here, but a 1/32 ... not 1/48 Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King ... I know Tamiya don't do Whirly Birds, but what a kit it would be.

Both their recent venture back into 1/6 scale Motorcycles were out of the blue and unexpected ... bought the Harley, but the Honda ... dont think so.

It's good to speculate, looking at some of my older release Tamiya kits in stash, like the 1/100 Space shuttle ... they dont like to stray far now ... there have been a lot of tanks and cars and Bikes recently ... I think one of their hinted releases will be an aircraft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope they introduce a complete new scale series, we don't have enough differing scales by far.

Just kidding. I only wanted to add my silly two cents to the speculations :)

• Haha 3

I'd post my usual annoying rant about a 1/72 Yak-9/VK-105 series (have I posted it already? I forget...), but it's pretty unlikely that a Yak-9 would ever appeal to Tamiya. I do see better sense to a 1/72 P-51B or an F4U-4 (followed by F4U-5 and F4U-7), though!

John

• Like 4

has anybody mentioned 1/32 EE Lightning F6, and a Bucc, and a Harrier GR3 and GR9, and Jag, and BAE hawk and Hunter, and JP5., and Mearbox. Not necessarily in that order but defo Lightning first. 

I know I'm dreaming but if you don't ask you don't get. C'mon Santa Tamiya ☺😉. That way I can part with my Echelon Lightning that I'm to scared to mess up

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I have a 'cunning plan'.. buy 51% of the shares in Airfix then convince the other board members that there IS a wide market for a 1:72 and 1:48 scale Liberator... LOL 

Maybe we could do a crowd sourcing, Fundraising, pass the hat thing here ? If we get enough maybe we could buy some stock and try to ? Dont necessarily need 51%, just enough to be noticed. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I have a 'cunning plan'.. buy 51% of the shares in Airfix then convince the other board members that there IS a wide market for a 1:72 and 1:48 scale Liberator... LOL 

Sorry to be boring but Airfix, and indeed Hornby Hobby of which Airfix are a part, are owned by Phoenix Asset Management.

A much bigger hill to climb

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Sorry to be boring but Airfix, and indeed Hornby Hobby of which Airfix are a part, are owned by Phoenix Asset Management.

A much bigger hill to climb

I doubt PAM has anything to do with decisions on what kits Airfix tool though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

I doubt PAM has anything to do with decisions on what kits Airfix tool though

I am sure that is correct for day to day decisions. On the bigger decisions around strategy and new

products I would imagine that they are much more hands on - this is the difference a Private Equity firm brings over a more traditional asset manager. 

• Like 1