Blackburn Buccaneer Flare/Chaff Dispenser

Dan_RAFBC

3 minutes ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Hi all, is anyone able to identify the flare/chaff dispensers in this photo from the game War Thunder?

rNCYr7F.jpg

Thank you for any help in advance.

In the time period depicted by the Buccaneer colour scheme i am not sure the Royal Navy used chaff and flare dispensers, I think  the Buccaneer first used ALE40  but only in RAF service which was very much later. Its probably just something included in war thunder as a "what if" and not at all representative of an actual fit.

Selwyn

• Like 2

There's a photo of the dispenser mounted beside a flight refuelling pod in the book "Buccaneer" by Tim Laming. Unfortunately all the caption says is "Flight refuelling "buddy" pod and flash ejector pod." Another unfortunate thing is the photo only shows the centre of the aircraft.

Edited by fubar57
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Selwyn said:

In the time period depicted by the Buccaneer colour scheme i am not sure the Royal Navy used chaff and flare dispensers, I think  the Buccaneer first used ALE40  but only in RAF service which was very much later. Its probably just something included in war thunder as a "what if" and not at all representative of an actual fit.

Selwyn

Thanks for the response, the ALE40 info helps!

The variant of the Buccaneer is the S.2 and the skin is just a base, it's possible to make your own skins so imagine the aircraft not being depcited as a specific airframe but more of the S.2 in general (But not the S.2A or S.2B etc.).

A few of us have been unable to find any photos or general information on the fit of flares to the Buccaneer, especially the type in the image.

9 hours ago, fubar57 said:

There's a photo of the dispenser mounted beside a flight refuelling pod in the book "Buccaneer" by Tim Laming. Unfortunately all the caption says is "Flight refuelling "buddy" pod and flash ejector pod." Another unfortunate thing is the photo only shows the centre of the aircraft.

Just a thought, is it a Recce fit and a photoflash ejector for use with the in bomb bay recce pallet?

Selwyn

The whole load and role fit is a work of fiction.

The Bucc never carried a Microcell Countermeasure Pod. Illumination flares for the recce pod were carried in a "flash crate" behind the recce crate in the bomb bay.

spacer.png

If large scale illumination was required 8" Lepus flares were carried on tandem beams on the wing pylons.

That multi TER on the inboard pylon was never used either (apart from 1 publicity photo flight). The FAA used tandem beams with 2 x 500lb bombs loaded.

On the conversation of countermeasures used pre AN/ALE 40. It was the highly technical method of bodge taping packets of chaff to the inside faces of the airbrake. When the airbrake was opened, the airflow ripped off and scattered the chaff packet contents. Obviously this was a single use method.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

The whole load and role fit is a work of fiction.

The Bucc never carried a Microcell Countermeasure Pod. Illumination flares for the recce pod were carried in a "flash crate" behind the recce crate in the bomb bay.

spacer.png

If large scale illumination was required 8" Lepus flares were carried on tandem beams on the wing pylons.

That multi TER on the inboard pylon was never used either (apart from 1 publicity photo flight). The FAA used tandem beams with 2 x 500lb bombs loaded.

On the conversation of countermeasures used pre AN/ALE 40. It was the highly technical metho d of bodge taping packets of chaff to the inside faces of the airbrake. When the airbrake was opened, the airflow ripped off and scattered the chaff packet contents. Obviously this was a single use method.

look  here for a diagram (you will have to scroll down!)

Thats not a TER by the way its a British CBTE!

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

The only place I've ever seen that pod is on this site, which unfortunately is something of a mess due to having been archived years ago. Here's a picture of the section I mean, to save you having to muddle around with it:

spacer.png

For later Bucc equipment fits you might also find this thread useful.

If it's purely for War Thunder though, I wouldn't bother. I've long since given up on that game after realising that what was meant by "Historically Accurate" was "we'll make whatever we feel like and then skin the results to look like real planes" - if you're someone who actually wants accurate renditions of your favourite aircraft, all you'll get from those developers is frustration. Anyway, rant over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a lot, a lot, of mistakes in that game.. Just saying.

Some gets fixed after bug reports, some never.. (Unless they are Russian things, then they get fixed a little "extra". Some are more "equal" than others..)

10 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

If you look further back there are the tail unit fins of another set of bombs, peeking out from the rear of the dispenser. Definitely a multi rack and not a single CBTE.

Wonder if it was yet another thing for the TSR2 that never made it into service?

Selwyn