2020 My airfield 1:48 diorama collection

22 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

They are all fantastic looking dioramas, each in their own way !!

May I ask, is that a standard white picture frame you are using as a base, and if yes, what would the dimensions be please?

Cheers,

Johnny b 

Thanks Johnny. Much appreciate mate.

The frames are called 3D 1" cube frames and designed to fit a A4 pictures, found on your popular auction sites.

My base boards are A4 (297 x 210mm) so fit perfect, although I do cut the frame lip off that holds the glass in. Very easy to do as the frames are easily cut with a sharpe knife. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ants models said:

What do you use to make the runway base and the dirt tracks

Fine model railway ballast mixed in a PVA glue solution and rolled flat or roofing felt, again squashed flat with pigments, dust effects and paint for the runways.

Grit added to polyfilla with lot of water and mig earth dust and mig mud for the roads and earth.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

Really, really nice.  

The use of various elements (Trees, fences, support vehicles, equipment, etc.) adds a lot of interest to each of these and certainly gives me some ideas for future builds of my own.

Matt

Thank you so much Matt.

I always like to include a vehicle of one type or another. Only exception is the crashed ME109 (the farmer originally had a tractor, but it just looked to busy.

Good luck building mate.

10 hours ago, Homer said:

Congratulations on some beautiful pieces of work, excellent modelling, well done 👏 

Thanks Homer. Appreciate your comments

8 hours ago, veg said:

very very evocative, some great builds and you could almost be a part of the scene.

My favourite part of building is imagining the scenes,... its just a challenge for me to try and replicate it convincingly with any amount of skill. Thank you.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, Suprastar3000 said:

50737485146_4672d16c5d_h.jpg

Every one is stunning and they all feel really realistic with the addition of figures and vehicles too, especially the smaller details that you might not notice, but add up to create a feeling of realism. I do try a similar approach with my 144th builds and I'll be adding these to my inspiration folder!

Just curious about the above build, what's the setting and story behind it?

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Every one is stunning and they all feel really realistic with the addition of figures and vehicles too, especially the smaller details that you might not notice, but add up to create a feeling of realism. I do try a similar approach with my 144th builds and I'll be adding these to my inspiration folder!

Just curious about the above build, what's the setting and story behind it?

Thank you very much.

Its based on Ondonga Airfield, New Georgian in the Solomon Islands. (Does have a small sign saying so, on the hut but not shown on these pics)

A drop of point for fighter aircraft, in this case RNZAF P40 on the way to the Pacific Theatre. 

Most agree it should actually be dark green/olive, but I have seen yellow/tan colour pics (including the decal instructions), and the colour suited the sandy/muddy airfield setting, so went with that. 

Edited by Suprastar3000

22 minutes ago, Suprastar3000 said:

Thank you very much.

Its based on Ondonga Airfield, New Georgian in the Solomon Islands. (Does have a small sign saying so, on the hut but not shown on these pics)

A drop of point for fighter aircraft, in this case RNZAF P40 on the way to the Pacific Theatre. 

Most agree it should actually be dark green/olive, but I have seen yellow/tan colour pics (including the decal instructions), and the colour suited the sandy/muddy airfield setting, so went with that. 

Very unusual setting, I love it.

I really enjoyed looking at these this morning. There is a full range of skill sets exhibited there. I’ve said before that I thought AFV builders were lucky in that they could use dioramas to set scenes and provide interest to their model subjects and you have proved it’s not just that modelling genre that can benefit in this way. 

Loved it 100%

Im not showing to Mrs T as she will say “Why don’t you do that?”  I can’t paint like Turner or Constable either !!  Brilliant work there Sir and some of the best modelling I have seen this year 👏 

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

An absolutely stunning collection to be proud of. My favourite is the Lysander scene. I look forward to seeing more in 2021!

Cheers Alpha Delta. Much appreciated :) That Lysander was the most fun. I remember thinking, 'how do I make a black aircraft in a field look interesting'.

Really enjoyed making the fire fire beacon and the french resistance fighter

pm5PQdfzj

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I really enjoyed looking at these this morning. There is a full range of skill sets exhibited there. I’ve said before that I thought AFV builders were lucky in that they could use dioramas to set scenes and provide interest to their model subjects and you have proved it’s not just that modelling genre that can benefit in this way. 

Loved it 100%

Im not showing to Mrs T as she will say “Why don’t you do that?”  I can’t paint like Turner or Constable either !!  Brilliant work there Sir and some of the best modelling I have seen this year 👏 

Wow. What a fantastic comment. :) Thank you.

If Im honest, I rely on distractions with lots 'going on' to make up for my inabilities with the airbrush. Would love to be able to pre-shade and detail like you people, but its a dark art to me. Dust effects and weathering can hide a multitude of sins. ;)

Very kind mate.

And very much appreciated :)

• Thanks 1