Revell 727-100 1/144

ROBOT

Hello everybody, just here to say I'm back from a long modeling hiatus and dug out my long begun 727 (think I started this 2018). With a coat of primer I began rescribing.... We'll see how this works out. Any tips for a nice white finish? I'm trying to get away from spray cans and would like to try my airbrush skills... Thanks, later Olli 

https://ibb.co/yVD04Nd

• Like 6

Hi Robot....

i am very partial to Tamiya sprays...primers and colors, too...but in particular the TS-26 white just can not be beat. With a properly prepared surface, the spray applied in small thin sprays, I always achieve a superior finish that requires nothing....not even a final acrylic clear coat of Future, though I do apply the clear coat for decal protection. I suppose the only advantage to airbrushing a white finish would be saving paint, as an airbrush is way more precise in application than a spray can, which tends to blow more paint “by” than “on.” A matter of taste and preference, I suppose. 

Glad you’re tackling the Revell 727-100...it can be a challenging kit. I’m currently working on two 727s, a -100 (Airfix) and a -200 (Minicraft)  at the same time. They are quite different and pose separate hurdles to cross, never mind building two at once...my workbench is crowded!  

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Houston and Paul for the advice on the finishing. I will tray that in the near future.  I also have the Airfix 727 200 on my bench but my 8 y old son is building it. Actually I bought the kit for myself but honestly I don't want to fill sand prime rescribe undo errors fill sand prime repeat yet another kit. My son had the kit together in 2 hours and we will spray paint it in silver... I should listen more to his advice on modelling too 😂. Have a nice evening and happy modeling. 

Olli

Edited by ROBOT

Hi everybody, just a quick update.

Here it is after a day's work of rescribing, errors and all....

IMG-20201220-162406.jpg IMG-20201220-162350.jpg IMG-20201220-162338.jpg IMG-20201220-154025.jpg IMG-20201220-153918.jpg IMG-20201220-153910.jpg

Also a spoiler on the livery,, next to its contender... Not 100% shure on it though, might change my mind completely if I ever succeed in painting that thing.....

Next on the list is filling up the scribing errors ( had mixed results with Mr surfacer 500 and 1200. Cyano dries too hard and it's more trouble than it's worth IMHO. Putty is too thick... NEED SOMETHING THIN THAT DOESN'T DRY TOO HARD..... . Any ideas?!) Thanks, have a nice Sunday everybody, stay safe. Ollihttp://IMG-20201220-165736.jpg

Edited by ROBOT
  • Like 4

Hi @ROBOT, pleased to see this one.  Pink primer took a little getting used to, however.  A little thinned Mr Surfacer 1000 ,works ok for me.  I’ve only scribed my 727 lightly into the primer coat and it usually only took a single application to fill any slips. 

Visible here next to one of the smaller squares.

resized_11873b66-3e91-4adf-bf28-0afa65b1

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Hi Dennis, thanks for your interest. I love all things 727 so I will follow your build too, your scribing looks great. Thanks for the advice on the Mr surfacer. I will experiment with thinned down 500. What livery wil it be in?! 

Oli

Hi everyone, don't want to interrupt your holidays🎄😁

Small update here, got some workbench time in the morning. I think I'm calling this stage done now. Scribing is fun but, every small mishap is causing 4 times more work to rectify it,at least for me it does... Quick mock up with the wings and stabs, next up some lights on the wingtips and then glueing all together, I hope some minor filling and then... Off to the paint shop👍🙄http://IMG-20201225-211909.jpg IMG-20201225-211917.jpg IMG-20201225-211930.jpg IMG-20201225-211037.jpg

Edited by ROBOT
  • Like 6

Morning quick small update... Working on the navigation lights, never done that before.... Could have done better but it looks OK to me so... On to glueing the wings to the rest. More updates soon. By the way, any experiences using fdcal products?! Thanks, until later, olihttp://IMG-20201227-121150.jpg IMG-20201227-121252.jpg

• Like 5

Small progress... Wings on. MILLIPUT on the seams, not cleaned up yet... Some cleaning up and I can finally think about paints and stuff...maybe next week.... Olli.. IMG-20210102-193341.jpg

Edited by ROBOT
  • Like 3

Hi there, you might not see any progress in the pics, because, well, nothing much happened in the meantime. Wings on and sanded, final primer coat ( OK I must dmit I am annoyed by the colour, too, but it polishes to a wonderful silky sheen).  Some bits glued on, but my obsessive compulsive habits don't allow me to  call it done and start painting. I'm always finding something that I overlooked or don't like and out comes the Mr, surfacer again 😅 undecided on the livery too... 🤔 Anyhow... http://IMG-20210107-133950.jpg IMG-20210107-134005.jpg

• Like 5

I have a couple of those. One I got and started about 25 -30 years ago. Sanded off all the rivets etc. Wasn't very happy with it, so I got a new one a couple of years ago. Going to have a Flugfélag Íslands - Icelandair livery from F-decals. I did how ever have some decals from Microscale decals back then when I started the first one. But there is less painting to do with the F-decal ones.

Nice build so far on yours.

Best regards 

Grétar W. G.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, ROBOT said:

Morning quick small update... Working on the navigation lights, never done that before.... Could have done better but it looks OK to me so... On to glueing the wings to the rest. More updates soon. By the way, any experiences using fdcal products?! Thanks, until later, olihttp://IMG-20201227-121150.jpg IMG-20201227-121252.jpg

F-DCALs are pretty thick, so to level it you need a decent layer of clear coat to sand/polish.

Btw. i would drill tiny holes into the lights before you install them, so you can simulate the bulbs. quite big stuff on the 27, so should be good to practice!

• Thanks 1