Christmas Blitzenbuild 2020 - Welcome and Rules

:welcome: to the final Blitzbuild for 2020. 

The Christmas Blitzenbuild will run from Saturday 26 December to midnight on Monday 28 December.  It fits nicely around the Christmas recovery period. :D  

Although the GB runs for three days, you don't actually get three days to finish your model.  You get 24 hours!     

This can be done in two ways:

1.  The Superhero Option   Complete your model in a single 24 hour time slot.

2.  The Sidekick Option      Complete your model in two 12 hour slots, seperated by no more than 12 hours.  Still pretty heroic, if you ask me.    You can start on the Saturday and finish on the Sunday or start on the Sunday and finish on the Monday.

3.  The Great Escape Option      You may have family staying past Christmas.  You can escape them by building in timed mini sections over the days but not exceeding the 24 hours. This still gives to time to attend roll calls as though nothing has happened.  It would be good practice to provide a photo of time at start and finish of each section. 

Start a WIP thread with a start photo showing the time, ( a mobile phone/tablet screen/computer screen will suffice), then as many progress pics as you want (but at least six) and finally a finish photo again showing the time.

Bonus kudos points will be given for uniqueness of the clock, the on-plate presentation of the meals to be consumed and other things like great music videos etc. All the while remembering this is a family friendly forum ...

25% Rule: This is a short GB intended to showcase speed building skills with an unstarted kit. Therefore, the 25% rule is suspended for this GB. All kits must be unstarted, although removal of main components from the runners is acceptable.

All the other usual GB rules apply, the most important being to have fun.  It's The Law!    

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Well, like most people I suspect, family commitments on those days are now gone, so I'm in. Got my local club Group Build due for the 4th Jan so might try a shot at that.

Its the Revell 1/32 VW Beetle open to all adaptations.... 🤔

• Like 3

Can't play this year as I am away for the week, with the whippet, in deepest Shropshire. No internet, phone signal or anything - good luck to all who do have a dabble, and I look forward to being astonished at the quality in the gallery upon my return.

A shame, as I had an Anigrand Lippisch Li.P.13B lined up - it'll have to wait its turn.

On the other hand a change of tier for the Black Country might mean I have to stay at home for the duration - every cloud has a silver lining! 😀

• Like 3

Despite started builds littering various GBs, can't resist a Blitzenbuild GB, so something easy and straightforward, naturally Unicraft comes immediately to mind, what can possibly go wrong :whistle:

Good luck everyone 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Got a 1/200 Vulcan lined up for this, I've printed some decals which should have dried overnight, just need to do the last few bits with them before this starts.

I'm planning to do it in anti flash white, which is much quicker than painting camouflage, and it'll be either a Blue Steel Vulcan from 617 Sqn with the three pale red lightning bolts on the tail, or a conventional bomber with my favourite anti flash Sqn markings from 9 Sqn with a big bat on the tail (also the scheme on my latest completed Vulcan, XM601)

• Like 3

I’ve got 1/48 Spitfires, Fw190s and Me109s coming out my ears so should really build one of them....though, I think an X-wing or small scale U-boat is more doable....

Im in 

• Like 2

Glad this starts on Boxing day and not the one before, as this will be my third Blizbuild of the year. I practiced with a Matchbox P12E and then a proper one with a Matchbox Walrus diorama including dinghy and downed spitfire. For this build I will be doing the simplest of kits - a Baynes Bat by Jach models. At least it doesn’t need rigging !

• Like 2

Glad this starts on Boxing day and not the one before, as this will be my third Blizbuild of the year. I practiced with a Matchbox P12E and then a proper one with a Matchbox Walrus diorama including dinghy and downed spitfire. For this build I will be doing the simplest of kits - a Baynes Bat by Jach models. At least it doesn’t need rigging !

31 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Now really confused. I thought Boxing Day was always 26th December.

Boxing Day is a secular public holiday. As such, a public holiday cannot fall on a weekend so Boxing Day is the next weekday after Christmas Day.  Christmas Day is also a public holiday, so if it falls on a weekend, the next weekday is Christmas Bank Holiday and the day after that is Boxing Day.

On the other hand, 26 December is always St Stephen's Day.  That's when Wenceslas got his favourite pizza. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My partner has had to put up with a lot of my plastic modelling this year. So to preserve good relations with her over the Christmas period I will be building this un-complicated aircraft. For painting I have some lovely Xtracrylic so hopefully it will go smoothly 🙂

Baynes Bat

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

For painting I have some lovely Xtracrylic so hopefully it will go smoothly 

Xtracrylix Dark Earth and Dark Green is excellent paint.  The yellow is nowhere near as good.  It is very thin with little to no covering power.  It might be worth getting a rattle can of a suitable yellow from your local car shop and using that to get the cover before overspraying with the Xtracrylix.   I fiat that Fiat Broom Yellow does quite well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a trawl through the meagre stash only two contenders for a quick build are an Italeri Mig 29 or Frog's old Beaufighter neither which

get me exited so I'll pop into the LMS in the morning there's a kit I have in mind which is cheap 'n cheerful and 1/48 which is in stock and

will be fun with the old airbrush.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

My partner has had to put up with a lot of my plastic modelling this year. So to preserve good relations with her over the Christmas period I will be building this un-complicated aircraft. For painting I have some lovely Xtracrylic so hopefully it will go smoothly 🙂

Photo etch and yellow paint on a Blitzbuild! I doff my cap to you sir, 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I can partake in this GB, as I don't go back to base until the 29th. I'm currently working from "Stash B" in my mother's house, where I used to live until I left home (well, D'uh! 😛). You know what I mean. Whisper it, but "Stash B" is as big as "Stash A". Anyway, I may plump for one of the Tamiya 1/100 aircraft series, such as the Lightning F.6 or Ilyushin 28.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1