M3 Grant - MiniArt 1/35

Ray_W

I built this MiniArt 1/35 M3 Grant for the MTO Group Build. What a delightful kit. Built essentially OOB. I changed the paint colours specified for this subject to Light Stone, Silver Grey and Light Purple Brown using Mike Starmer's Tamiya mixes. Also, MiniArt state El Alamein for this subject and I think more likely Battle of Gazala. The figures are from the Tamiya Matilda kit modified as required, in particular the TC's pose, with scratch built headgear etc. I hope you like it.

Grant_Finished_1

Grant_Finished_6

Grant_Finished_3

Grant_Finished_4

Grant_Finished_2

Grant_Finished_5

Grant_Finished_7

The full build is here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235081428-rats-its-another-grant-miniart-135-grant-mki-finished/

Ray

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

so I'd like to see how this one stacks up against it

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind remarks. I really enjoyed this build, my first Grant. It goes together extremely well, even though you're just about making the hull like the original out of sheet stock material. Very little location, but exceptional fit. I also did not find the track links that onerous to assemble after you make yourself a jig and they look the part. As we know, it's not Tamiya, so in some areas you're thinking "why so many parts to do this?" 

The final result is very pleasing. Now I want to build an Aussie version.

Ray

• Like 2

1 minute ago, edjbartos said:

I've just bought Miniart's M3 Lee interior build to do next year, their kits are stunning.

Thanks Ed, You're in for a treat. Lovely kit. Great subject for the interior with all those nice big doors. 

• Like 1

FWIW. The 5th Royal tank Regiment, 4th Armoured Brigade, 7th Armored Division was not equipped with Grants at El Alamein, they had Crusaders and the Squadron markings were in blue, not red. However, at Gazala, they had Grants and the squadron markings were in red, so your guess would appear to be correct. This info is from William Plartz's book, Desert Tracks, a great resource, but sadly out of print.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gamevender said:

FWIW. The 5th Royal tank Regiment, 4th Armoured Brigade, 7th Armored Division was not equipped with Grants at El Alamein, they had Crusaders and the Squadron markings were in blue, not red. However, at Gazala, they had Grants and the squadron markings were in red, so your guess would appear to be correct. This info is from William Plartz's book, Desert Tracks, a great resource, but sadly out of print.  

Thank you. That's useful information. I am no expert on British tank markings so its good if I guessed right. Red eight is a popular photographed DAK tourist wreck. It looks like it hit a mine, shed a track, and then saw some target practice. Colour scheme and photos seemed appropriate for the earlier conflict. Thanks for the reference to Plartz's book. That has opened up another rabbit hole of interesting study on this subject. So many interests and too short a life!

Ray.

10 hours ago, IanC said:

Realistic stowage too.

Thanks Ian for the kind remarks. I took a little artistic license with the stowage, but at least it is Grant like. I could show more on the rear deck and planned a roll of camo net. Should of also jammed some rags around that "flimsy". Ain't going to last like that!

Ray

48 minutes ago, Model Mate said:

Lovely job - I like the stowage (tissue paper?) and the commander figure particularly. I’m part way through the Lee interior kit and it is a beauty.

Thank you. Fun build. Tissue paper/pva for the front roll and to hide the gap under the MiniArt supplied on the left of the rear deck. 

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

That is a lovely job on that Ray. I'm a bit slow on the uptake with this one, I recall spotting it on my phone & meant to return to it on the PC, all the better to appreciate it & promptly lost it, fining my way back here via @CliffB's RR armoured car build. With me so far? :D I've done a bit of reading on the Nth African campaign of late, torrid stuff & it looks like this was a victim of that too. I was keen to pick up the Mike Starmer Caunter mixes for Tamiya for a Meng RR AC I have ordered, I'll likely do it in that scheme too. Can't promise to match the deft touch you show with this though. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I was keen to pick up the Mike Starmer Caunter mixes for Tamiya for a Meng RR AC I have ordered, I'll likely do it in that scheme too

Yes it is a very attractive scheme. I have to do one. I like what Cliff is doing. I bought the Tamiya Matilda for the figures and would like to finish it in the same scheme if I do not steer it into an Aussie mod like Enzo's build in the ANZAC GB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nicely done. I need to get my mitts on one of those. 

Hi Pete,

A must do. Really nice kit.

Ray

• Like 1