Stirling wheel wells

HP42

@Work In Progress

WIP,

Loved the photo! The Stirling has to  hold the record for the most massive landing gear in aviation history- looks more like a bridge truss than a landing gear strut. Wonder how many Spitfire tires (tyres for those in the UK!) could have been made from the rubber it took to mold on Stirling tire?

Mike

Love the original photo (not repeated at the Moderator's request): just look at the outer diameter of the tyre at the top and bottom!

Also interesting to see, through the doorway, a small handrail to assist entry.

10 minutes ago, Denford said:

Love the original photo (not repeated at the Moderator's request): just look at the outer diameter of the tyre at the top and bottom!

Also interesting to see, through the doorway, a small handrail to assist entry.

I think that the edge of door (and its hinges), which opened inwards and to the rear?

18 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

And I always have a soft spot for Joan Hughes preparing to throw this one around the sky. All manual controls too

I had a chat with RAAF WW2 pilot Jeff Reidy, it would 25 years ago now, and when ever I see a Stirling mentioned I think of Jeff. Great guy to talk about missions over Germany and flying the bomber types - Mosquito, Lancaster and Halifax. Jeff was based in England and went on operations late in the war. He also spent a great deal of time ferrying multiple aircraft types around with war's end. When I asked him about his favourite (sorry you can never help yourself with the Vets) he said, without hesitation, the Stirling. He said a huge aircraft and an absolute joy to throw around the sky. He actually described it as sensitive to the flight controls. Least favourite - Halifax.

Ray

• Like 1

• HP42 changed the title to Stirling wheel wells

@Work In Progress absolutely love those scale images. Truly shows their comparative sizes in the best way. I also love the top down view, showing the wing span/shape differences. I'm about to get an even better idea because I have a Stirling and Halifax up next in my stash!

18 hours ago, Jeff G said:

@Work In Progress absolutely love those scale images. Truly shows their comparative sizes in the best way. I also love the top down view, showing the wing span/shape differences. I'm about to get an even better idea because I have a Stirling and Halifax up next in my stash!

And if you need any help Jeff G, please feel free to ask

John

Wow- that is some complex and clever engineering to get  all of the struts and doors associated  with the undercart into the nacelles. Thanks so much for the videos, as I have always wondered how it all worked.

Mike