Bristol Britannia A&AEE Boscombe Down

Ray S

Hello all.

This has been one of my most enjoyable builds recently, and there has been a lot! I was going to do a British Eagle Britannia, but I was very unsure about my masking skills. 26Decals did some laser-printed markings for that, but I had been warned that accurate masking was a must. I looked at 26Decals' website, and found this subject as silkscreen printed markings, so I went for that instead.

The build itself was a delight, this is by far and away the best Roden kit I have built, and the markings behaved impeccably. The build is OOB, except for the aerial wires which are InfiniModel rigging line.

I still failed the masking test, I did not take into account the nose contour, so I had to fill that in by brush (just below the red stripe and aft of the black nose). I filled the cabin windows (mostly okay but do not look too close), and I may have had to fill some other luggage door outlines. All in all though, I hope I have done justice to this graceful aircraft!

DSCN6783

DSCN6784

DSCN6786

DSCN6788

DSCN6789

DSCN6790

DSCN6792

DSCN6793

I did find one small anomaly with the markings. The black cabin windows were printed in two blocks either side. the aft 4/5 fitted the locations perfectly, the longer strip would not line up and left a slight white surround to the windows. On the starboard side, I cut the longer strip into smaller sections, but in truth I should have done them individually. I am not sure if they were printed slightly wrong, or if I stretched the red cheatline transfer when I added that. 

I only used Tamiya primer for the main paintwork, White and light grey. Humbrol 127 was used to retouch where I had mis-masked, and to amand where the brush-painted Humbrol 60/19 reds had bled through the masks (despite 'sealing' with gloss varnish.)

Anyway, I hope you like this, I certainly enjoyed it! Well done Roden and 26Decals.

All the best, Ray

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Very nicely done! I find the propeller colors very interesting.

I found out afterwards, that I could have done it with a simpler three band marking at the prop tips, it would have saved a lot of masking!

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Always liked the Britannia and you have done a great job on her, shame its the wrong scale for me as I only do 1/72, and have the Airways vac form kit to build, maybe Roden will up the scale, as I don't want the Mach 2 kit, I like to keep my sanity LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ray,

Lovely job you've done on this, now you need to buy another one for the British Eagle decals! I'm sure your masking skills are up to it! With a photocopy of the decal it's not too difficult to mask what you need.

Love the props they really make the model stand out.

6 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

I've looked at this kit many times but know that Roden kits can be tricky builds so have stayed clear.

Rest assured this is not a tricky build it really is a great kit! 

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Wow, that's fabulous! I remember this very aircraft coming into Woodford once when I was at junior school, I collected serial numbers back then and wondered why a Britannia had such a 'new' XX serial instead of XL. Fascinating thing, it was huge! 

This looks superb, very neatly done and a great subject. Would love this in 1/72 one day but the mrs is already starting to wonder where I'll put them all! 😂

• Like 1

Nice job of a great British classic,well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

That is one lovely Brit Ray, what a beautiful job you have done on it. You've reminded me what i have a liking for civil aircraft 'in uniform'.

I agree that the Roden kit is an enjoyable build!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments and 'likes'

14 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Ray,

Lovely job you've done on this, now you need to buy another one for the British Eagle decals! I'm sure your masking skills are up to it! With a photocopy of the decal it's not too difficult to mask what you need.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, I am tempted, but it probably would not stop at British Eagle!

21 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That is absolutely stunning. Those decals suit the aircraft. I've looked at this kit many times but know that Roden kits can be tricky builds so have stayed clear. Your comments have probably changed my mind now. Thanks for sharing 👍👍

Go for it, I think you would be very pleased indeed, in my opinion.

23 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@Ray S: You've really done this type justice, and your model is beautiful!  Getting those decal windows aligned with the cheat-line must have been a "treat."  Alex

They went on okay, except for the spacing, but that might have been stretching of the original cheat line. I should have cut them individually. I am happy with them though.

I am now really getting into these 1/144 scale aircraft, having done a Beverley, and a VC-10 recently, and a couple more projects due soon!

Thanks again everyone, stay safe.

Ray

Excellent build Ray, thanks for sharing. The Roden Britannia is a fine kit and you've certainly done it justice.

To a point I understand your apprehension about masking for laser decals but I would definitely encourage you to give British Eagle a go. I had to mask a similar layout when I built the kit in Donaldson International livery for a Group Build a few years ago. The only significant difference is that the sweep down of the white at the front is more gradual on the Donaldson aircraft. Believe me, if I can do it anyone can. 

Thanks for the suggestion of the InfiniModel rigging line. I've always made aerial wires out of stretched sprue but even if the sprue is dark grey to start with it tends to look too light on the model. Yours is spot on.

Dave G

• Thanks 1