Big Blue - Trumpeter 1/72 Su-27 Flanker B

Long story short I felt like building an Su-27, and thought the Ukrainian digital camo looked neat. So...

O0DOQFr.jpeg

Nothing said in the instructions about nose weight (and very little said about anything really), but just to be sure I dropped in some steel BBs and poured over some PVA glue.

tUM2Zjv.jpeg

...ok then. I may have stumbled on how to make shoggoths here.

hu3XZF8.jpeg

Foxbot masks and Mr Paint for the camo.

t5mM9Ms.jpeg

For some reason the nose didn't like the masking tape (Aqueous Mr Hobby and Tamiya respectively), but that didn't take long to sand down and paint up again. So all said and done...

bII3xrU.jpeg

94WBjKT.jpeg

In reality it's about three feet short of a B-17.

YPXjhOn.jpeg

Foxbot were quite comprehensive with the stencils, if I counted correctly I ended up slapping on about 350 decals. An attempt at heat staining with oil paints has been made.

dtnqSde.jpeg

No decals or paint instructions for rails and missiles in the Foxbot set, so those are Trumpeter's. Probably old USSR livery 20-30 years off here, but at least it meant I didn't have to paint any fins in a different colour.

Edited by Parrahs
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Zorglub said:

Very impressive job.

How did you paint the camo ? I mean the order of the color layers, which one was the first, the 2d ?

Black primer, dark blue, light grey, medium blue and then the underside last. With a quick black touch-up after each masking step so I have a mostly dark base to work up a bit of variation against for each step.

I normally start with the underside but the dark blue and light grey intrudes upon it in a few places here meaning some shuffling around was in order. Though as the mask set is cut to give you both positive and negative masks there should be a good amount of flexibility in how you can do it.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful! Congratulations on a fine model. Ukrainian digital has to be up there - along with Swedish Viggen 5 colour and Japan's crazy F15Js - on the bucket list for ambitious camouflage painters! 

23 hours ago, Bangseat said:

along with Swedish Viggen 5 colour and Japan's crazy F15Js 

Someone's been sniffing around my display cabinet...

B5VmwIR.jpg

While probably easier if both are just done with masking tape the Swedish splinter scheme doesn't get as easy as the Ukrainian digital with pre-cut masks. As for the F-15J I wanted the Nagano-designed nose art, so just a regular paintjob otherwise there.

• Like 4