CA-12 Boomerang od Special Hobby 1/72

Hello everybody!

Some weeks ago I started building it few weeks ago. This is the CA-12 boomerang and I will try to make the aircraft number A46-95, registration ZA-O. This model is slightly valorised. I made some extra parts in the cockpit and replaced the engine with a quickboost. Also I made some additional elements in gear wells. I would like to do some nice weathering, I have some photos as reference, but they are in black and white. Looking at the photos, I came to the conclusion that the plane had worn pavements on the wings along the fuselage, a bruised leading edge, and some patches on the engine cowling. Also, clearly visible in the photos, especially the brown color, it is more faded than on the metal covers. I have only one photo with my model, but I can see a brown stain painted over the top of the fuselage behind the cabin. Could it be painted a fresh brown, or could it be green? Anyone have some information?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

I cover model by MIG chippnig fluid and first layer of paint. After that I made some scratches, based on photo. Next step will be cover everything by clear gloss and next layer of camouflage.

I still not decided to choose colour on the ridge f fuselage, where should be brown colour.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Next step.

Boomerang was painted with the target camouflage colors and coveredby  layer of clearcoat. Scratches were improved. Some of them, the ones on the fuselage, need to be painted over a bit. The boomerangs were not so scratched except that, the paint faded more on them. So the next step will be to vary the shade of brown on the plywood fuselage part.

Some info about chipping - when applying MiG heavy chipping fluid, you need to make sure that it is applied with a well-dispersed stream. Where I allowed too large a drops on the surface, the paint was scratching off with larger pieces, which does not look very good on this scale.

One question. Code letters ZA O on decals are light gray. On the photo looks like white. Is somebody knows, what color should I use?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Sebastian Lachowicz
  • Like 3

Hi Sebastian,

I'm working on Boomerangs as well currently and have all my references out. I can see 2 photos of ZA O in Stewart Wilson's book and the codes do look very light. This would indicate they are likely Sky Blue, i.e. the same colour as the undersides. It's pretty hard to get Sky Blue codes of the right size/font so the only solution is to custom print or create stencils.

Cheers

Michael

• Thanks 1