Future

John McNamara

I keeping reading reviews and other threads where the builder writes something like " I gave it a quick coat of future". So, I tried googling it and I got references to a floor "polish". Is that the right stuff? Is it still avaible and exactly how is it used please?

TIA

John

Yes, it's a clear acrylic floor coating, also known as Klear. It is used to give a smooth gloss coat to a model, either over matt paint before applying decals, or over decals to seal them in, It also improves the appearance of transparencies. It does not yellow with age, and is a direct replacement for varnish. It can be applied with a flat brush, as it is self levelling, or some modellers dilute it up to 50/50 and spray with an airbrush. It can be stripped if necessary with Acetone/Ammonia but be aware of how Ammonia might affect paint or decals. It can be used with decals that refuse to stick by applying a thin layer to the model immediately prior to application of the decal, to make it stick

It's formulation has been revised in recent years, and an alternative is Lakeland 'Quickshine'.

My favourite alternative, even though I have a few bottles of the original "formula" left is Alclad Aqua Clear.  It sands as well as Future/Kleer, and is great for hiding the edges of the carrier film on decals :)

• Like 1

Currently the correct formula is called "Pledge Revive It" - it might appear expensive (around £12 - £14 a bottle) for floor polish but think what 800ml of varnish would cost.

Another benefits is it prevents fogging of clear parts attached with superglue.

I use it as a final top coat instead of matt varnish - I mix the Future with Tamiya X-21 (flat base). Varying proportions gives you as much or as little gloss as you want. It dries quickly and is pretty impervious to handling unlike some varnishes which seem to pick up finger prints even when dry.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1