F-117 1/144 [Dragon + Shelf Oddity]

Hello everyone!
There is a locked subject somewhere in dungeons of kampfgruppe144 forum where I enthusiastically begin "quick build" of this kit ....around 2014. Then there was this idea of adding photoetched details to it. No one was doing PE for 1/144 F-117 so I ended up designing it myself. Thus, instead of a quick build it became prototyping tool for one of initial Shelf Oddity releases. Same goes for the decals. Looking at it from perspective - of the two: decals and photoetched - decals have far the more impact on end result. All this inevitably led to material fatigue, and the F-117 was lingering on WIP shelf for quite long.

Prototyping aspect of the model can be noted by comparing left and right main undercarriage doors. There are two types of the doors and I am here at my laziest by doing only one of each type.
Main u/c wheels have been replaced by res-im bits - the kit wheels are twice the required thickness.

This was in my sights:

1888723.jpg?v=v40

...and where my journey finished:
ACtC-3dq5Jq_JIb8xo2lTMN5P-suvsRfa5AvtMIY

ACtC-3dBNekLbGncB2XV1mqB7V0OHUH-rNRCzsCd

ACtC-3di8mCa5Y_XHXpvPZKETQ-ffyqkiJRZENNU

ACtC-3dmiB7V_YtXBmLr8BnSuBquEHHuFtKBQc2n

ACtC-3cuTtAbl1SYIh8V8iewHsAC8UIHw2MbvFNX

ACtC-3cZo9s7M0BOCR-uvmjLgox0mwh4Ko1KD132

ACtC-3fUVdt3WOGer9eYGlDwTn1-wlWrMBxYWgZa

ACtC-3dfo0Plfc4YSB-gPvRetyIT1QUthEx8HVzQ

ACtC-3dsf22UHQn7vEqo4FfzqfWbq_tox9NsdvSg

ACtC-3fZ_yiviHhuXckARn9bXRqhYoJbS8-31HgL

ACtC-3dCrk0b29CHCaYVg1AIxP914IU6geNp1E2B

ACtC-3fTT1hKKOaNm2UqpfBLYA0Dbcqp7uMCRjrF

ACtC-3euo20Gj6WmsQxvEMtyczUq--iC0kZRy3rg

ACtC-3fR1CzWjnmT0TZ8yayEtTO9apZnKEl9rS77

ACtC-3dlKNrghrZovu_VKQmq-0PwxxYgVCQJQxz6

ACtC-3egvepxg4wbqkd9v9TN9_3ZvVB2p2eoh_L3

Thanks for watching!

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

So good! The landing gear especially look like they're a larger scale.  The weathering is subtle, and the streaks on the upper fuselage are perfect, especially given the scale

Couldn't help notice though- the streaks on the wing, shouldn't they be along the airflow as opposed to perpendicular to the panel line?

20 hours ago, alxzinbox said:

So good! The landing gear especially look like they're a larger scale.  The weathering is subtle, and the streaks on the upper fuselage are perfect, especially given the scale

Couldn't help notice though- the streaks on the wing, shouldn't they be along the airflow as opposed to perpendicular to the panel line?

Thanks for taking a closer look! 

Glossy streaks coming from various spills and follow the airflow (the largest obviously being from aerial refuelling) - these are intuitive. The more dull ones are less so. It would seem they have something to do with structure of the wing. This can be noticed on the first photo in post - starboard wing. My other source photo shows them on starboard wing (again):

0578998.jpg?v=v40

something is also happening closer to the root of port wing.

I noticed Ronald MacDonald really fancy working on F-117 - he even ditched his extravagant hairdo to stay on the job (cannot tell from this photo about the red nose though):

800px-F-117_maintenance.jpg

Edited by Lejgo_inc
wording
  • Like 2