Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

I had initially thought that this was one of those Vac-form or 100% resin type GB’s however having read the brief, I now see its a just a good opportunity to step out of ones so called ‘Comfort Zone’ and try something new. I quite like the idea and think it’s possibility something we all need from time to time. It looks to be a safe bet for 2023, although you never know how these polls can end. 

Cheers and best of luck Adrian.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimJ said:

I picked up a few more at Telford. 🙂

Well you're definitely outside my comfort zone with that trio! Welcome aboard and look forward to seeing some or all of these get built!

Is a "Selection model" one of those boxes where you don't know what you've got until you open the box?

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Hi Adrian,

Like yourself I stick to 1/72 or sometimes with Afv's 1/76 these days, and as I don't feel up to tackling my Billings Cutty Sark the only things I have that are outside my normal "comfort zone" are 3 x 1/144 scale kits. The 2 rockets will probably end up in another GB depending on the outcome of the bunfight so that just leaves an old B-2 Bomber bought for some obscure reason many years ago. If I don't build it soon it will probably never get built so would it be considered eligible for this? If not, no problem! At my age something with small parts is definitely a challenge, though being a big plane it may not be too bad - the "Sweet" Zeros etc would be totally beyond me I suspect.

Pete

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

old B-2 Bomber

Peter, if you’re worried about it, it’s in! I look forward to seeing it get built.

On the small parts theme, I bought myself an optivisor with LED lights and a set of lenses for about 12 quid from eBay a couple of years ago and I’ve been really pleased with it for detail work. If the visual side of things is getting challenging I can thoroughly recommend it.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TimJ said:

the kit includes figures of the girl, a robot and a teddy bear. 

Ah! You get them all… there’s a brand of 1/144 kits (FToys?) where you can’t tell exactly what’s inside the box.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian, never Co hosted before, but as a long time BM'er, I think it is time I started giving back for all the forum has given me. I also am up for new experiences, and this looks relatively safe as I assume it does not involve jumping off tall things, dangerous sports or jealous husbands. 

Regards Martin. 

• Like 2

My plan for this GB is the Orange Hobby 1/700 HMS Victorious.

It's mostly resin with which I am entirely comfortable.  However, large parts of the superstructure are provided as PE assemblies.  While I am quite happy using PE as detailing parts, I'm not nearly as confident using PE as major assemblies.  Yes...   I have built etched brass railway kits before, but not in the last 25 years so I would say they are definitely out of my comfort zone.

It's 1/700 scale.   I've never been comfortable with such tiny scales...  :fraidnot:   

It's also a ship, which is well outside my comfort zone.     It's true that I hope to build a couple of ships in the Salty Sea Dog GB, but I wouldn't say that I'll be entirely comfortable with them by the time this GB starts.

So, what do you think?  Will this subject be uncomfortable enough? 

Here is an excellent review from @Paul A H

• Like 1

Well, the Vespid Comet tank was on hold, so now it is full steam ahead. Only problem is that I have decals for a post war vehicle that had smoke grenade launchers on the turret, that the kit does not appear to have. I am sure I can scratch build a pair, they look to be standard across a range of vehicles. Annoyingly, Vespid have just released a Comet 1B with them. 

I also bought an IBG 1/72nd Bedford QL Refueller and so might do that as well. Looks a very nice kit, I fancy the post war scheme with the yellow tank top. 

• Like 1

Years ago I took almost two years of university courses as part of my major on the American Civil War.  Read all the good (and bad) books, visited most of the battlefields but have only built one 'kit' from that era, one the 1/16th scale metal cannon available from Guns of History.  Nice kits, by the way.  I built the Napoleon Cannon.  It has now been misplaced/lost, etc...in a move.  I think I'll build their Parrot Rifle kit.  

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A16+civil+war+cannon*

Probably make a display case for it too.  Very historic piece of artillery.  And I don't usually build artillery.

• Like 3

Just had an object lesson in the value of reading instructions. I had my morning coffee in the middle of cleaning the house (oh the joys of being  house husband as part of my retirement), when I found the Vespid Comet tank kit. I read the instructions and looking at the runner map, noticed two parts not for use. A check of the runner itself revealed them to be the smoke discharges. Problem solved and a reminder that no matter how long you have been at the modelling game, looking at the instructions always pays off! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm so excited you got it through this year @AdrianMF well done 👍 

I always build aircraft models and usually new nice shiny modern tamiyaesque shake'n'bake kits at that,

but for this I plan to build a thing without wings, an ebay buy that's eons old. So this will be interesting.

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 12/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, TonyW said:

Go on then, add me as well. I'll throw caution to the wind and commit to a vac form kit.

I've had a few goes at Vac Form kits with mixed results. A pair of Comet Miniatures kits, Stingray and Fireball XL5 went well.  Rareplanes Meteor, Contrail, I think, Hendon and a couple of other aircraft were less than successful.

To break that run I'll have a crack at a Rareplanes North American AJ-2 Savage. RP8002,  issued by H G Hannants. Gulp.

I bought the kit sealed from the Kitswap at Telford years ago. On opening the kit once home, I found all the parts neatly trimmed and ready to go. There's one major hurdle gone. Being a later Hannants kit it also has decent looking decals. Another hurdle gone. White metal detail parts included as well, meaning no wheels and props to find either! It's out of my comfort zone for sure, but it's kind of daring me to have a go.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

Well, that Savage won't be getting a look in here, as I've gone and built the thing in another GB. It put up a fight, but I got there in the end.

As a substitute, I'll throw caution to the wind and try a Chingford Model Aerodrome Fairey Battle. A 1.48 scale solid wood model, dating from the early forties.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

• Like 5

Hi,

As the GB dates for 2023 are now set, so is my mind.

Still an aircraft but it shall be my first attempt at a short-run kit.

It's AZUR Ffrom 1/72 Renard R-31, a recon airplane designed and built in Belgium in the 30's. Used at the outbreak of WWII, it was already obsolete (uderpowered, slow, unarmored) and not much liked by its crews.

I had to dust the box off before taking the picture.

You know, it's (one of) these poor kits that you push into the deepest crannies of the stash. Just because it forces you to confront the ugly truth. You're weak. You can't leave your LHS with no kit in hand, even if you know from the start that you'll probably never build it.

Let's thank @AdrianMF who out of his great goodness gives us the opportunity to repent of our faults.

The box:

spacer.png

Decidely too much cardboard for what's inside (instructions, about 30 plastic parts and a small PE fret, decals for 3 aircraft - all for Belgian Air Force planes, the only user):

spacer.png

A nice evening to all.

Pat

• Like 6

2 hours ago, PattheCat said:

first attempt at a short-run kit.

Perfect choice! And when it’s done it will look pretty smart and unusual in olive over silver with some Belgian roundels.

At least the parasol wing has a nice pylon instead of a forest of cabane struts :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Instructions?   We don need no steenkin' instructions!  

As I have just found out I have stuck the wrong halves of a float together, I think just occasionally need to look at them. I blame it on not being so well this week with some viral chest and throat infection (-ve for Covid) and fortunately the halves came apart quite easily. 

Also found the instructions for the Comet1B I want yo build and it looks like all the parts are there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

At least the parasol wing has a nice pylon instead of a forest of cabane struts :)

Thanks Adrian @AdrianMF.

You mean something like this

spacer.png

About any high-wing plane appeals to me. Deciding to build them, that's another story. You pointed right at what scares me.

Regards.

Pat

• Like 3

One of these likely candidates will probably find their way in here (time willing).  Resin is something I've only done details with...never full kits.  Now take that and combine it with vacuform parts...that takes the DH.89 to another level.  :blink2:

52508260070_63d03c0117_c.jpg

• Like 4