Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

I think most of us pick a scale and theme, and tend to stay with it to build a consistent collection and because it just “feels right”. We build up a set of habits, techniques, paints and accessories that work for that niche.

But then from time to time you get something that isn’t in your comfort zone because

- you can’t resist the subject

- you can’t resist the kit

- it would be too big (or small) in your usual scale

- someone bought you a kit

- temporary insanity

This GB would be a chance to build in a different genre and/or scale to your usual one and see how adapt. You could go large and crazy on detail, small and build a diorama, or just build that ship/car/figure that you always secretly wanted and dreaded at the same time.

I don’t think there would be any restrictions as to subject matter, media, manufacturer or historical accuracy. The 25% rule could arguably also be waived to allow you to resume a build that just didn’t feel right at the time.

So, my name is Adrian, and I’m a 1/72-holic. I build 1/72 aircraft, mainly British, made between 1914 and 1965. I’m going to build something else. Does anyone want to join me?

1. @AdrianMF
  2. @Heather Kay
  3. @TonyOD
  4. @zebra
  5. @Alex Gordon
  6. @CliffB
  7. @Wez
  8. @Adam Poultney (what, they make kits that aren't Vulcans??)
  9. @TonyW
  10. @Jb65rams
  11. @reini
  12. @JeroenS
  13. @Corsairfoxfouruncle
  14. @Jabba
  15. @GREG DESTEC
  16. @Foxbat
  17. @At Sea (on land this time)
  18. @Marklo
  19. @JOCKNEY
  20. @klr
  21. @nimrod54
  22. @Mr T
  23. @badger
  24. @Ray S
  25. @dnl42
  26. @Davek72
  27. @Max Headroom
  28. @TimJ
  29. @Thom216
  30. @vppelt68
  31. @Rob S
  32. @Toryu
  33. @PeterB
  34. @Graham77
  35. @Avereda
  36. @Mjwomack
  37. @johnlambert
  38. @LorenSharp
  39. @Scargsy
  40. @bootneck
  41. @Kallisti
  42. @Beggsy
  43. @Dansk
  44. @Paul J
  45. @helios16v
  46. @JohnT
  47. @Maginot
  48. @Andwil
  49. @The Spadgent
  50. @Luke1199
  51. @Mukund SB
  52. @SoftScience
  53. @galgos
  54. @gingerbob
  55. @Cratecruncher
  56. @Redstaff
  57. @ModelingEdmontonian (small, or far away?)
  58. @Bobby No Mac (going in at the deep end)
  59. Your name here...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was just mulling over whether to shift my Warning Star and get something smaller on the grounds that I'll never have the cojones to take on something that big. Then you come along with this...

• Thanks 1

Good idea Adrian, count me in.

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

But then from time to time you get something that isn’t in your comfort zone because

- you can’t resist the subject

- you can’t resist the kit

- it would be too big (or small) in your usual scale

- someone bought you a kit

- temporary insanity

There's a small number of kits in my stash that tick these boxes: An Anigrand Boeing YC-14 (couldn't resist the subject, it was ridiculously cheap, I've no idea where it'll go when its finished), a Silver Wings 1/32 Hawker Hart (a gift a few years ago - lovely looking kit but I'm a bit scared I'll stuff it up!), and a few 1/32 kits that seemed like a good idea at the time (Fly Wessex, Kitty Hawk F-86D, Special Hobby T-33 and Tempest II). I stand by the decisions to buy the Tempest and T-33 although 1/32 isn't at all my usual scale, but looking back I think the Wessex and F-86D decisions were too heavily influenced by discounts in the closing down sale at the LMS (now thankfully relocated and reopened!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a few card models in my stash Adrian, none of which I've ever had the courage to start.  The most daunting is a 1/32 Type D, double-decker London bus.  So sign me up please :door:

Thanks

• Like 1

This sounds like the ideal GB for me to build my newly acquired Airfix Sherman Firefly in, clanky-clunky targets aren't normally my thing but the Firefly has the allure of a bloody big gun in a small tank thing that appeals to me.

Count me in!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

I'll have a dig through the stash

We will save you a seat near the front....

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

I've got a few card models

That is definitely off the beaten track! I think I might have a few Micromodels that I inherited. (And a quick scan shows they are still available today!) Looking forward to a bus!

4 hours ago, Wez said:

Airfix Sherman Firefly

Wot no wings? Nice!

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

This sounds interesting

I think if you built anything that didn't look like a tin triangle we would all appreciate you were out on a limb ;)

Thanks All - If we keep this up we can all be uncomfortable! 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Go on then, add me as well. I'll throw caution to the wind and commit to a vac form kit.

I've had a few goes at Vac Form kits with mixed results. A pair of Comet Miniatures kits, Stingray and Fireball XL5 went well.  Rareplanes Meteor, Contrail, I think, Hendon and a couple of other aircraft were less than successful.

To break that run I'll have a crack at a Rareplanes North American AJ-2 Savage. RP8002,  issued by H G Hannants. Gulp.

I bought the kit sealed from the Kitswap at Telford years ago. On opening the kit once home, I found all the parts neatly trimmed and ready to go. There's one major hurdle gone. Being a later Hannants kit it also has decent looking decals. Another hurdle gone. White metal detail parts included as well, meaning no wheels and props to find either! It's out of my comfort zone for sure, but it's kind of daring me to have a go.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had a furckle around in the stash and I've found this

6bb0bb69-60dc-443d-8ddb-f0c14be01b50.JPG

The catch is there's no fuselage but there is a plan so I'm going to have to scratchbuild one.How's that for unsettling?

a88565e9-f449-494b-b40f-f5b570368c8f.JPG

I've done odd bits before but never anything this ambitious.Go on then,count me in old fruit.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace photo URLs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh darn I was contemplating this one, scrolling down the list of participants and their plans and there's @reini.... Now I have to join in as well! I have this Schreiber-Bogen card model of a ship which I picked up to take along for last summer's holiday but when I opened it it looked rather daunting! Luckily I also picked up something easier to build so I did that one and quickly put aside the ship 🙂 

I believe the ship fits the description of this GB nicely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/12/2020 at 23:37, Alex Gordon said:

there's no fuselage but there is a plan so I'm going to have to scratchbuild one

I think that definitely qualifies. Good luck!

21 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

ship or a car.

Sounds splendid! You could kill two birds with one stone and build a Schimmwagen or a Dutton Amphicar? :)

20 hours ago, reini said:

1/72 & 1/48 aircraft

Thanks for signing up! Maybe a ground service vehicle to complement your collection?

7 hours ago, JeroenS said:

card model of a ship

A ship sounds like a good candidate for card modelling! Looking forward to one.

Thanks all for the interest!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

21 hours ago, reini said:

Oh why not. I build 1/72 & 1/48 aircraft from WW2 to the end of cold war. So something else then :)

What about a helicopter?

• Like 2

Well considering I just finished my first ship in 27 years. I think that may qualify my uncomfort with the type ? Does that work and if so will you add me. The only other option would be my WNW Albatros but I don't believe I could do it justice in the timeframe of a groupbuuild.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The only other option would be my WNW Albatros but I don't believe I could do it justice in the timeframe of a groupbuuild.

It’s gonna be 2022 at the earliest and I want to waive the 25% rule so you’ve got no excuses :)

Oh go on then,

Adrian

PS nice ship too in the MTO GB.

• Thanks 1