Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

• 2 weeks later...

I'll build pretty much anything in any scale, my only constant is I have to quite fancy the idea. I've tried a couple of ships in previous GBs though and never finished one so I'll throw my hat in the ring with the Heller Marceau - bought because I made a joke about it in the Heller GB chat thread* and felt obliged to follow up on it.

Andy

* I asked if it was a mime sweeper. I know - terrible isn't it?

Edited by Foxbat
  • Haha 2

Sorry for the delay in replying - Christmas 😲 and back to work 😲😲 ..

On 22/12/2020 at 19:27, Jabba said:

Although most modeling is out of my comfort zone, I think a targety thing could sway me or even a civilian vehicle.

I know that first feeling! Earthbound entries gratefully accepted.

On 02/01/2021 at 10:45, GREG DESTEC said:

Sign me up please.

Thanks Greg. Just make sure you are really uncomfortable with your choice!

On 05/01/2021 at 16:16, Foxbat said:

terrinble isn't it?

I am lost for words.... ;)

On 07/01/2021 at 14:50, At Sea said:

I have some cars in my stash...

Someone was saying in another thread that in the USA the majority of modellers build model cars, not aircraft. Strange! Welcome ashore.

• Haha 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - post Christmas stampede!

Well if we are going to do this properly 

1/35 Revell Mercedes G4 German Staff Car.

Yes that's the 6 wheeled one !

Classic ebay bid, and no one else bid for it, complete steal but also completely alien to me.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Sign me up. I am a devotee of all things 1/72, and also 1/76 for AFVs. I occasionally dabble in 1/144 aircraft, and 20th century warships across several "standard" scales.

However, there are some very odd items in my stash, mostly ships:

• Smer Drakkar Oseberg (probably the ex-Heller/Aurora kit, although the scale - nominally 1/60 - is disputed)
  • Revell HMS Victory (1/146)
  • Airfix Cutty Sark (1/775)
  • Revell N/S Savannah (1/380) - this would probably be top of the list
  • HA Models Titanic (1/800) - bit of a mystery kit this, but I think it's from the late 1990s, on of the kits benefiting from all the research done for the movie
  • Revell Calypso (Cousteau's ship, 1/125) - not identified as such anywhere on the box or instructions for legal reasons, even though it's on the baseplate
  • Airfix Mary Rose (1/400)
  • Nichimo USS Eisenhower CVN-69 (1/1050) - it can be built with a motor. It is buried so deep in the (remote) stash that I don't know where it is!

I also have a couple of Airfix 1/600 liners, and several Revell 1/1200 liners, cruise ships and ferries.

Other oddities include a Heller 1/43 Renault Alpine rally car, a Revell 1/146 Convair Tradewind, a Dragon/Cyber Hobby 1/200 Vulcan B.2, Revell Jupiter 'C' rocket and launch tower (1/110) and two Saturn V rockets (Revell 1/96, Airfix 1/144). I also have some of the erratically scaled Revell Star Wars "mini" kits.

Edited by klr

On 14/01/2021 at 01:48, JOCKNEY said:

Yes that's the 6 wheeled one !

Thanks Pat - dedication to discomfort, that's what we like to see! Don't let it sink too far down into your stash...

On 14/01/2021 at 13:55, klr said:

Airfix Cutty Sark (1/775)

A fine selection of candidates - bits of the Airfix Cutty Sark are currently staring at me balefully from the Shelf of Doom as I type this. The Mary Rose though, designed and moulded a whole 50+ years later, is a delight to build, albeit much simplified and adapted from the real thing:

IMG-4900.jpg

Welcome aboard both!

• Like 3

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - New Year Intake!

Sign me up please Adrian. Figure painting is something that I shy away from, but I have always enjoyed looking at other modellers work when I have been at Telford. I have a few small resin and white metal figures in amongst my collection, and I have always fancied doing something larger mounted on horseback. My confidence is lacking when it comes to tackling a horse though, and so a couple of years ago I bought an MB boxing of three Union Cavalry figures from their ACW series.

I made a start on these after the New Year and I have been working on them whilst waiting for the GB's I have signed up to starting. This what I have achieved so far, all three horses were assembled and cleaned up and the bottom figure has had a coat of primer, the middle one has had a first base coat of a Citadel acrylic, and the top one has shadow and highlight details picked out with oils. I still have to paint the eyes and mouth as well as harness details, but I think that once I have finished all three I should feel more confident and be ready to move on to something larger.

50841164701_ae85e63c36_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

horse

Welcome John. Your oil shading looks spot on.

Masterbox do some really out of the ordinary subjects. I think ACW is particularly interesting because it’s half way between the Napoleonic wars and the 20th Century conflicts, and the way that modellers approach them is very different, so you rarely see a muddy Hussar or an immaculate Tommy in the trenches.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - Last few places!

Less than ten lucky participants needed to build something they aren’t comfortable with! Imagine the satisfaction you will get when you finish it!

Regards,

Adrian

(I will be doing “two GBs for the price of one” next...)

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Comet

Thanks. Consider yourself signed up! I also like the Comet tank (and the Centurion) and I've always had a hankering to build the Comet airliner (but it's out of my comfort zone!)

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Hi - add me to this please.

I haven't finished a plane in over 20 years and have a few in the stash.

Likewise I've never built a submarine but have 4 1/144 kits up the attic!

Cheers

Ben

• Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - Standing room only!

Hello, you can count me in please.

I am no stranger to biplanes, ships, NMF aircraft etc, but I do have a few kits in my stash which really fall into the NMCZ precept.

One is the 1/72 Minitracks Citroen Kegresse P28 AFV; another is the 1/76 Milicast Rolls Royce A/C 1920 pattern; both are resin vehicles and I have never built one before, and to be honest, I am not sure why I acquired them!

The one that is most likely to be built for this though is the 1/72 Roden Gotha G11/G111; - I have built a few of the smaller Roden kits, but this one makes my knees quake! I will need to get some replacement transfers though.

It would be good to get it built, and I do find that Group Builds help me no end when it comes to building these 'daunting' kits.

All the best, and what a great idea this is.

Ray

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 13:57, Ray S said:

It would be good to get it built, and I do find that Group Builds help me no end when it comes to building these 'daunting' kits.

Ray, you had me at "NMF"!

I had to look up the Kegresse - definitely off the beaten track. The Gotha sounds like a challenge. Consider yourself signed up!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Well I know I said I have my Bismarck but I was browsing through an old Tamiya modelling magazine and came across this ..

269b657e-f134-40b9-a412-ee24f0998e10.jpe

Really have to get one or one of the Wallace and Grommet Airfix kits ( they do Grommets little red Aeroplane and The motorcycle sidecar too )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Marklo said:

Grommets little red Aeroplane

That reminded me, from around 2000 and the furthest recesses of my garage,  built for small children who loved Wallace and Gromit, before my born-again modelling era:

B9-C708-F0-4-B27-42-FE-BA4-C-BE368-A4-D5

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I've got a Revell 1/24 BMW Sauber F1 and 1/25 Monogram Aston Martin DB-4 that would fit. 

They both sound like excellent choices! The Sauber does have a wing at the back, at least... Welcome aboard.

Regards,

Adrian

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - half a dozen places left!
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - anyone for a bit of adventure?

Just a little bump to attract some adventurous souls...

It doesn’t have to be life-changing... a different scale or genre, a chance to try out some different painting and weathering. You never know, you might like it!

Regards,

Adrian