Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

On 01/11/2021 at 21:44, zebra said:

Looking so far like Not My Comfort Zone isn't in enough people's comfort zone

I can only speak/write for me, of course, but it reflects what I do anyway, so it isn't a novel approach.

• Like 1

I think it's a novel idea and worth revisiting.  Was really hoping to see this one, WHIF, & Raiders make it.  On the flip side, I don't feel too many obligations going into next year so I can just wing it as I go.  :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we should give it another try. After all there are loads on here saying that they have bought a kit and are too scared to build it for one reason or another, and this would give them a chance, and get guidance on the way too!

I will sign up again if you decide to try.

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm still off licking my wounds and having a bit of a sulk :)

I will resurrect it mid next year and see how we get on again. I still think it's a great opportunity for people to broaden their horizons. But I suppose that, ironically, if you are prepared to get out of your comfort zone, you don't need to!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 6

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - "I'll be back"

It would be nice if there was some scope available in the GB voting to allow some of the more unusual topics to grt covered rather than the same old same old each year, but then its a popularity contest so the same or similar ideas will always get the most votes :(

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

It would be nice if there was some scope available in the GB voting to allow some of the more unusual topics to grt covered rather than the same old same old each year, but then its a popularity contest so the same or similar ideas will always get the most votes :(

I think a "not my comfort zone" GB should be mandatory every year 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2023 is the earliest that repeat of the 'Anything but Injection GB' can be proposed for an encore. I had been toying with it, but I've decided not to put up a proposal so as not to detract from this.

The irony is though that peeps who do vac-from, resin etc probably find it quite comfortable and so it won't garner many votes for this one- unless they all try these new fangled IM kits!!

On 12/28/2021 at 11:34 AM, JeroenS said:

I’d have to agree, it’s good to go do something different within the hobby. 

I shall be building a Titanic for big and British but my Wallace and Grommet motorcycle and sidecar still needs this GB! :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Come on @AdrianMF

This is far too good a subject to be left in the also ran pile.

Ladies and gentlemen,  let's get our collective fingers withdrawn and get this one over the line in its rightful place for next year.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 5

On 15/05/2022 at 21:32, JOCKNEY said:

Come on @AdrianMF

This is far too good a subject to be left in the also ran pile.

Ladies and gentlemen,  let's get our collective fingers withdrawn and get this one over the line in its rightful place for next year.

Cheers Pat 

I agree Pat.  I just pushed myself with a motorbike kit (and deliberately chose the more challenging of the two bikes in my stash) and I'm very satisfied with the result.  I've still got a few kits that scare me slightly so I'd definitely be up for a group build.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @AdrianMF, I still have the same one and only short-run kit in my stash waiting for such an opportunity (Azur 1/72 Renard R-31). Or maybe I'll go for something with wheels or tracks instead of wings.

Regards.

Pat.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ooooh! Is this Actually going to be a thing? I’d like to join if I may. I have an idea of getting some old universal monsters modelled and painted. I love the films from the 30s And although I don’t have kits I’ve got my eye on some .STL files that are up for grabs. 3D printed and not even aeroplanes. Does that count?   “Count” Gerrit. 😋🧛🏼‍♂️

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My understanding is that as a comfort zone I'd a very personal zone it can be anything that challenges your one. For my part it's the paint yellow; strange but true, so I'll do something with a lot of yellow in it 

• Like 3

On 07/07/2021 at 09:56, Mjwomack said:

Despite (or maybe because) being a Cambridge United supported

I bet you were really out of your comfort zone having to admit that Michael  :analintruder:

On 28/12/2021 at 11:34, JeroenS said:

How else are we going to learn and improve ourselves?  :winkgrin:

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the support and interest this has generated. Sadly I don't think I've got the time and energy to push this through and host it in the near future, so I will let it lie this year. If anyone wishes to take it forward, be my guest.

Regards,

Adrian

• Sad 3

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - Bring it on for 2023!!

Well, after some reflection, I’ve decided to shoot for a 2023 slot if I can get one, despite having a bunch of work, domestic and health issues on the go.

If I can’t set an example by being out of my comfort zone, then how can I ask my brave band of volunteers to vote for it?

So please do vote for this GB and ignore the skullduggery and underhand campaigning from other, less deserving, candidates.

Remember, if you don’t vote and we don’t get in, you won’t get that “why on earth did I sign up to build this?” moment sometime next year!

Everything to play for… :)

To the barricades, you know you want to,

Adrian

• Like 4

This thread attracted me because I often feel like doing something different. So, I skipped all the posts above to get this end and register my interest. I'm in.

• Thanks 1