Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

Thinking about this I’m coming to the conclusion that my entry will probably be either a Sherman or a jeep. Probably 1/35 (or 1/48????). Nothing special, just yer boggo standard general issue lump of American engineering picked up from the motor pool.

Any kit recommendations? Not looking for super duper detail, just an easy build ‘yep that looks right’ model. If it was Eduard then it’d be labelled Weekend Edition.

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks Pat,

I already have the larger of the Airfix kits (1/130) and that was bad enough and the Billings one is 1/75 apparently. I see Revell made 4 or 5 different versions from 1/96 down to around 1/350 - which scale is yours? I have full rigging plans plus the Airfix book on building their version, but frankly doubt I will be up to rigging it these days, given how my hands are.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, Rob S said:

Well I found the kit so if this GB gets through the Bunfight I’ll then have to find the time in 2022 (so long as the sight, hands, fingers, and joints hold up!) to participate.  

(Typically I’ve already looked at the kit with the view to replacing the tracked undercarriage with railway boogies to turn it into a Product Coal Stockpile Reclaimer feeding a Train Loadout Bin.) 

Just looked this one up Rob it's huge - and there was me worrying about where I could store/display a 1/75 scale Cutty Sark.

Pete

On 7/22/2021 at 1:45 PM, Rob S said:

Oops, finger trouble!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - still have some room left!

Sign me up, this sounds like my kind of thing.

I'm sure I can find something even though I usually try and push myself in GBs to get out of my usual comfort zone anyhow - haven't tackled any 1/48th aircraft for over 20+ years (though I'm planning to soon in the high-wing GB), there's a Countach kit hiding in the stash that scares the bejesus out of me trying to do a nice shiny paint coat on it, as I can't weather up to hide the mistakes (though I'm currently doing a Ford Mustang for that GB),

My not my comfort zone stuff would currently be:

Soviet kit

Spitfires (I prefer an underdog Hurricane any day of the week)

Resin (didn't quite make the start of that GB)

Big aircraft (larger scale or bigger bombers).

Floaty things (built a toon one for the Navy GB but not really my thing)

Shiny things

Stuff with lots of decals wrapped around complex shapes

• Like 2

Hi Adrian,

I'm a sort of 1:144 diehard but have a few other scaled kits in my stash, mainly due to situations 1 to 3 on your initial list.  I've had these kits sitting in the loft for at least ten years; therefore, I shall put my name forward, purely in respect of situation 5 on your list.

Looking at my NMCZ stash, the most outlandish would be one of the 1:24 Airfix Sea Harrier kits. Either that or possibly a 1:32 Revell Spitfire or a Tamiya 1:35 Pink Panther Land Rover; all of which I would find daunting.  There is also a possibility of a 1:100 scale ship model scratchbuild.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bootneck said:

I'm a sort of 1:144 diehard but have a few other scaled kits in my stash, mainly due to situations 1 to 3 on your initial list.  I've had these kits sitting in the loft for at least ten years; therefore, I shall put my name forward, purely in respect of situation 5 on your list.

Mike, it’s a pleasure to welcome you on board - and thank you for taking the trouble to reference my original list of qualifying conditions!

Regards,

Adrian

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - forty up!

This is a tricky one, I'm not sure I HAVE a comfort zone! I've built things in all manner of genres... except German Armour or WWII aircraft :) No I will NOT be going there for this GB, but I have a couple of figure kits, including one in vinyl that are very much off the beaten track. Oh and I've just remembered I've got a large resin figure of Jon Pertwee as Dr Who

DSC_0845.JPG

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

On 09/09/2021 at 15:52, Marklo said:

ec76877b-2816-4f8e-808d-3289e271aae2.jpeSeeing how this is in the post I am now fully prepared for the prospective GB. 

If I told you it’s really an aeroplane in disguise, would you be more comfortable? :)

B9-C708-F0-4-B27-42-FE-BA4-C-BE368-A4-D5

[edit] sorry for the repost - I had a sense of deja vu when I just put it up. Still probably my most successful commercial aircraft paint job ever, though…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 13/09/2021 at 17:40, Kallisti said:

Jon Pertwee as Dr Who

He’s looking awfully serious… the Earth must be in peril or something.

Looking at all your builds over the years, you seem to be comfortable with just about anything. Would be a pleasure to have you along!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - forty-one up!
10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

If I told you it’s really an aeroplane in disguise, would you be more comfortable? :)

No because my inner engineer is trying to figure where to put the wing sections and still fit Grommets legs and the porridge gun, and my inner modeller is trying to work out what the interior detail of the sidecar should look like :)  

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

you seem to be comfortable with just about anything.

Thank you. I’ve never really bern that keen or good on figures ( well I’m an Engineer so I’m good with some kinds of figures just not model ones) That said I’ve been a doctor who fan since the John Pertwee era ( Death to the Daleks being the first story I watched as a Kid) and my David Tennant era Airfix Daleks 

Could do with some company, although I’m leaning towards a Tenth planet cyberman, rather than anything more modern. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, TonyW said:

Go on then, add me as well. I'll throw caution to the wind and commit to a vac form kit.

I've had a few goes at Vac Form kits with mixed results. A pair of Comet Miniatures kits, Stingray and Fireball XL5 went well.  Rareplanes Meteor, Contrail, I think, Hendon and a couple of other aircraft were less than successful.

To break that run I'll have a crack at a Rareplanes North American AJ-2 Savage. RP8002,  issued by H G Hannants. Gulp.

I bought the kit sealed from the Kitswap at Telford years ago. On opening the kit once home, I found all the parts neatly trimmed and ready to go. There's one major hurdle gone. Being a later Hannants kit it also has decent looking decals. Another hurdle gone. White metal detail parts included as well, meaning no wheels and props to find either! It's out of my comfort zone for sure, but it's kind of daring me to have a go.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tony.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, TonyW said:

Go on then, add me as well. I'll throw caution to the wind and commit to a vac form kit.

I've had a few goes at Vac Form kits with mixed results. A pair of Comet Miniatures kits, Stingray and Fireball XL5 went well.  Rareplanes Meteor, Contrail, I think, Hendon and a couple of other aircraft were less than successful.

To break that run I'll have a crack at a Rareplanes North American AJ-2 Savage. RP8002,  issued by H G Hannants. Gulp.

I bought the kit sealed from the Kitswap at Telford years ago. On opening the kit once home, I found all the parts neatly trimmed and ready to go. There's one major hurdle gone. Being a later Hannants kit it also has decent looking decals. Another hurdle gone. White metal detail parts included as well, meaning no wheels and props to find either! It's out of my comfort zone for sure, but it's kind of daring me to have a go.

Tony.

What could possibly go wrong? how about I've recently built a couple of VacForm kits, including the Savage? Vac forms are hardly out of my comfort zone anymore are they?

OK, Instead I'll take a leap into the world before plastic. Yup, it's time I built an early wooden kit. 

I've backdated plastic kits to resemble wooden ones in the past and thoroughly enjoyed the process. Having a crack at the real thing seems logical. First thoughts are a Chingford Model Airdrome 1.48 Battle. Either that or a Meteor by the same company. The Battle is their first kit, the Meteor one of the last.

I won't be building with the original parts, the collector in me would have a fit! I'll have to stray towards the world of scratch building by copying the wooden parts and making my own decals instead.

IMG-7095.jpg

IMG-4371.jpg

• Like 10

16 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'll have to stray towards the world of scratch building by copying the wooden parts and making my own decals instead.

If you are I’d recommend bass wood ( aka lime wood) instead of balsa as it carves really well and has a fine enough grain it doesn’t need filling and sealing.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/09/2021 at 21:17, TonyW said:

Brave man! Wooden wings aren’t too bad but fuselages and nacelles can get very tricky, especially cockpits and fairings.

As Mark says, balsa can be a bit soft for carving - it depends on what grade you select - but I’ve never tried basswood. A couple of years ago, I completed a wartime kit started by my late father over seventy years ago, and never mind balsa, it seemed to be made from random carpentry off cuts. Wartime shortages - your Battle might have the same issues.

But thanks for playing along!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

I build almost exclusively 1/72 airplanes.  But, I also love the Biggles books.  And then Eduard came along with their 1/48 Camel, in a Biggles boxing, and with 2 fictional schemes as flown by said fictional aviator.

If that counts, I'm in!

On 06/10/2021 at 07:15, Beggsy said:

If that counts, I'm in!

1/48, a biplane and rigging too - I should think that counts. Welcome to the club!

On 13/10/2021 at 19:48, JOCKNEY said:

The big vote is coming up at the end of this month

Ooh-er! Not sure how much proactive marketing I'm allowed to do. We did give away 2,500 rubber ducks with our logo at a trade show in the "good old days" (2019). Not sure that would necessarily work here - and I'm not sure we got our money back on the ducks then!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 3

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - forty-two up - the meaning of life revealed!
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - thinking about a logo...

Don't fall foul of the signature rules @AdrianMF! I inadvertently did that with a banner for In The Wrong Hands, proper got my wrist slapped and I've only been allowed a two-line signature ever since...

I’m thinking of voting for this Adrian and building something insanely big. 🤪 could be so much fun.

p.s. logo-wise…could you make a small signature size version of this idea but change the black circle to a Brit roundel?…

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1