Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - last few places!

Sounds like fun. Building something that doesn’t fly will be interesting. So a clunky target or a floaty target? A car or a Gundam thingy? A soldier or a steam loco?

Decisions, decisions.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2021 at 09:38, Max Headroom said:

decisions

Let’s hope we get to make some soon Trevor - thanks for signing up!

On 13/03/2021 at 14:46, TimJ said:

subjects that I don't normally build

Great, let’s dig them out if the stash. Welcome aboard!

On 15/03/2021 at 01:30, Thom216 said:

Patton's Command Car

That will be a “wheely” great candidate for the GB. Thanks! (And sorry...)

• Haha 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - one more please!

I'm sure My Very Own Comfort Zone is so small it's easy to come up with something outside of it, so please add me to the list too 🙂. V-P

Edit: Oh and I know my subject will be something with red stars, just this once. Maybe with a few small bits and bobs of resin included.

• Thanks 1

In my work comfort zone but not in my modelling comfort zone - as I wouldn’t know where to put it when completed - would be the Revell 1:200 Bucket Wheel Excavator. 

No guarantees but sign me up would be a step in the right direction. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

please add me to the list too

Thank you sir! You could always model your thing with a red star after it had been captured by the Finns and re-badged. I was toying with that idea for an SB-2, but I didn't have the right engines.

50 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Revell 1:200 Bucket Wheel Excavator.

Rob, understand about plans changing, I will sign you up and hope...

48 minutes ago, Pin said:

welcome to  Anything but Injection

I am planning to join that one! I lined up a candidate build a while ago for which no injection (or any?) kit exists.

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - 31 up and counting!
  • AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - in the bunfight - you can still join up!
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Adrian,

I would love to join in if I can think of something to build! As I normally build 1/72 planes, 1/72 or 1/76 tanks and 1/700 warships there is nothing "unusual" in my stash. I suppose my vacformed WWI biplanes would have been ideal as I have been putting off building them for at least 20 years but I have just swopped them with Pat. However that does bring one thing to mind - I really do not enjoy rigging biplanes anyway which is one of the reasons they have not been built so that would be well outside my comfort zone and I do have about a dozen Roden and Eastern Express kits in my stash, together with a few other odds and end such as a Pegasus Halberstadt D.II and a Vickers "Gunbus" with either metal wire or etched rear frames - can't remember the make but may also be Pegasus. The combination of PE/metalwork and rigging is really something I don't feel at all comfortable with. Would any of those qualify?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - places still available!

Since this would be 2022, most likely, I might just be in on this..........but leave it with this caveat.  I'm in the middle of a huge home remodel, down to studs and back.  My plan is to be mostly done with it before Christmas, minus a few odds and ends.   So no building time until that is mostly wrapped up.  Unless something goes awry, I would like to participate.  Not sure with what yet, but I have several options in the stash.   I got a 1/700 Minneapolis, 1/350 Fletcher with fiddly bits (I blame those two on playing World of Warships) and a 1/35 Takom Tadpole.  All well outta my comfort zone.

If someone wants in feel free to kick me off the list.   No biggie if that happens.

It could be an excuse to resurrect this failure from four years ago. I haven’t really been anywhere near struts or rigging since (or short run Amodel kits for that matter)

36064430355_40b44ff73a_b.jpg

Despite (or maybe because) being a Cambridge United supported, I studiously avoid any subject which would involve a lot of yellow paint! Maybe this is the GB that will be my therapy group, so no idea what it'll be, but I'll build something yellow!!

• Like 1

I mostly build injection moulded car kits but I have a couple of resin/mixed media car kits that I'm a bit scared to start, so this might be the perfect opportunity to tackle at least one.

Count me in Adrian. I have one or two boats (NO!!!Not that... anything but that!) in the stash that should see the light of day. And.... they're NOT 1/48! (The Horror!) Now if a sudden cold snap should occur because a certain underworld froze over or brass monkeys start walking around a little funny because of this, Don't blame me.:yikes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 01/07/2021 at 15:23, Graham77 said:

I have a ship that needs building

Sounds just the ticket. Welcome aboard!

On 01/07/2021 at 19:12, Avereda said:

rigging

That looks really nice! You will have to do it standing on one leg just to prove that you aren't comfortable :) My last green Moth (New Airfix Tiger variety) ended up in the bin because the rigging went so-o-o-o badly wrong. Strange because I've built and rigged four of 'em before.

On 07/07/2021 at 09:56, Mjwomack said:

yellow paint

No shortage of GB prototypes and trainers If you are brushing then the best advice I can give is to do each coat thinly, try not to remember how many coats you've already done and try not to think about how many more coats you've got to go.

(I took my Oxford comma out of that sentence in deference to your footy team)

On 07/07/2021 at 10:04, johnlambert said:

resin/mixed media car kits

They shouldn't be too scary for you, seeing the super job you did on the Alpine 110, including two successive yellow paint jobs (over dark blue plastic too). Bravo!

On 07/07/2021 at 14:00, LorenSharp said:

I have one or two boats

Well, you certainly do a mean vac-form. But you have exactly the scenario I was thinking about when I thought up the GB. You find a kit in your stash and think "who in tarnation put that there?".

Cheers,

Adrian

• Thanks 2

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB - I'm going to need more sandwiches!
1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, you certainly do a mean vac-form. But you have exactly the scenario I was thinking about when I thought up the GB. You find a kit in your stash and think "who in tarnation put that there?".

Cheers,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, but as the old story goes about the young man visiting New York City for the first time.He wanted to see all the sights. He walked up to an old new yorker and asked "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"

to which the old gentleman replied, "Practice my boy, Practice."

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought of something that really is outside my comfort zone! When I first started courting my wife back in around 1975 her father had a very impressive wooden model of Cutty Sark on a table in his hall - it was about 3ft long! I really liked it, and so, moving on 5 years and 200 miles further south, when I saw a Billings Boats kit of it lurking on the shelves of my them LMS I bought it together with the accessories set - probably cost me around £25, maybe a little more. Once I got it home I realised there were 2 major problems - lots of wooden bits to shape and glue together, and it was around 1 metre long when built so where the heck would I display it? I was going to give it to my father in law as his was apparently only on loan and the owner eventually asked for it back, but he died not long after I bought it so 40  years later it is still in the box somewhere in my roof and I cannot decide whether to build it or  try and sell it - now they are fetching £200+ on auction sites.

Maybe one day I will get the courage to have a go but the thought of simulating the copper plating on the lower hull is rather daunting!

Pete

PS. I don't like the new format much - prefer the old way of showing posts, likes etc, though I gather Mike may still be tweaking it.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 12:06 AM, AdrianMF said:

Rob, understand about plans changing, I will sign you up and hope...

Well I found the kit so if this GB gets through the Bunfight I’ll then have to find the time in 2022 (so long as the sight, hands, fingers, and joints hold up!) to participate.  

(Typically I’ve already looked at the kit with the view to replacing the tracked undercarriage with railway boogies to turn it into a Product Coal Stockpile Reclaimer feeding a Train Loadout Bin.) 

• Like 3

On 22/06/2021 at 23:04, PeterB said:

Hi Adrian,

I would love to join in if I can think of something to build! As I normally build 1/72 planes, 1/72 or 1/76 tanks and 1/700 warships there is nothing "unusual" in my stash. I suppose my vacformed WWI biplanes would have been ideal as I have been putting off building them for at least 20 years but I have just swopped them with Pat. However that does bring one thing to mind - I really do not enjoy rigging biplanes anyway which is one of the reasons they have not been built so that would be well outside my comfort zone and I do have about a dozen Roden and Eastern Express kits in my stash, together with a few other odds and end such as a Pegasus Halberstadt D.II and a Vickers "Gunbus" with either metal wire or etched rear frames - can't remember the make but may also be Pegasus. The combination of PE/metalwork and rigging is really something I don't feel at all comfortable with. Would any of those qualify?

Pete

Pete if you like rigging and the Cutty Sark, I've got a Revell one somewhere, no wooden bits that I'm aware of, so you should be OK for splinters, and more rigging than a whole series of "The Onedin Line" (one for the more mature reader there !)

Yours if you want it ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 2