Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

1-C5-F995-E-2-B3-F-4969-9-A70-E7-CB98106

I’m toying with building one of these; a Caproni C.60. In 1/144 in comes in at 211 mm wide and although I do build a lot of multi wing aircraft I don’t think any would argue tha a triple triplane was in anyone’s comfort zone :) 

Now I know you're cracked mate, this is a monstrosity that I just cant believe really flew ? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marklo said:

Caproni C.60

I'm delighted to see you have embraced the principles of this GB so thoroughly. I may have to watch this one from behind the sofa!

And if you don't get around to final assembly you can always claim to be depicting it after its second landing :wicked:.

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now I know you're cracked mate, this is a monstrosity that I just cant believe really flew ? 

Probably, but I like a challenge.

It flew, just not very far or high before crashing…

• Like 2

At the aircraft museum near Milan airport (the old Caproni factory) they had a model of the Ca60, plus a full size bit of it, either original or reproduction, I cannot remember. Awesome in a frightening sort of way. 

• Like 2

This Group Build is tempting. I have been making aircraft in 1/144, 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 on and off since I was about 15. I have also built a couple of ships (RMS Titanic and USS Long Beach) as well as one automobile - an Oldsmobile 88 Rocket (I forget the scale). Oh, and the Shaun the Sheep Landie plus characters 😎

Also, as a youngster, I did armoured war gaming with a friend and as I usually took the Allied side I built many Airfix and Matchbox 1/76 tanks which I recall I really enjoyed. And yet, nearly 50 years later, I have never built a 1/35th scale tank or armoured vehicle. I have an Airfix 1/35th Crusader III in the stash and it gets taken out and looked at about once a year, I want to build it, but for some reason it always get put back in the stash. So, I don't know why, but 1/35th armour is definitely outside my comfort zone.

Michael 

Edited by Ghostbase
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If it is a very old Airfix Crusader kit, then it will be 1/32nd scale. It came out at about the same time as the Airfix Multipoise figures when Airfix was seemed to be trying to break into the model soldier/figure painting. I recall building a French Imperial Guardsman and a Royal Scot Dragoon when at uni. Go for it

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr T said:

If it is a very old Airfix Crusader kit, then it will be 1/32nd scale. It came out at about the same time as the Airfix Multipoise figures when Airfix was seemed to be trying to break into the model soldier/figure painting. I recall building a French Imperial Guardsman and a Royal Scot Dragoon when at uni. Go for it

I just checked, it is 1/32nd scale. I assumed that Airfix had re-boxed another manufacturers product.

Michael

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

I just checked, it is 1/32nd scale. I assumed that Airfix had re-boxed another manufacturers product.

Are you gonna go for it?  

You know you want to...  :wicked: 

• Haha 3

Comfort zone….does such a thing exist? He says as someone who’s rece binned not one but three  builds that should have been as close to comfortable as it gets for me….was planning on entering an armour build for this though a look at instructions of one a few weeks back left me screaming internally so that won’t be happening…maybe i may dare a helicopter both of those I’ve tried in the past have gone horribly wrong….

• Like 2

I'm going out on a limb (or limp) with an early prediction- this GB will be the single largest contributor to this year's KUTA. Also I think the 'official' failure rate will be very low as you don't sign up for this level of madness without a certain level of commitment/ folly/ eccentricity in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

As someone who very rarely builds anything but aircraft, I'm going vehicle and as we have been supporting a Ukrainian family locally for nearly a year, it's a kit from Ukraine.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

maybe i may dare a helicopter both of those I’ve tried in the past have gone horribly wrong

That would be lovely! We're none of us at ease here - I'm waiting for my first nightmare about photo etch!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Good grief, another GB in the current group builds section. The number of GBs going at the same time, that I want to participate in, is outside my comfort zone! Added to that I've got just over two months before I'm away for a few weeks, although there will still be a couple of weeks of this one left (but also the beginning of a really busy period at work) when I get back. So I'm going to need to be quite focused and stick to one build per GB I think.

This one is going to be part of my Guppy project. I'm going to build the Super Guppy Turbine in the Big In Japan GB, the Conroy CL-44 Guppy in the TLC GB, and have a crack at converting a Stratocruiser to one of the other Guppies in this one - most likely the original Super Guppy, and probably as a double build with the YC-97J the original was converted from. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, zebra said:

crack at converting a Stratocruiser to one of the other Guppies

Nice! Thanks for making the effort and sending a bit of your Guppy GB our way.

I know what you mean about the GBs - there are so many interesting ones this year. I don't think I will build anything outside a GB for a while!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I'm struggling to find something outside my confort zone that I want to build :D I've always been open to building weird sh... stuff, and I've done resin, 3D prints and vinyl - the only thing I haven't build is a vacform and I don't have one let alone one I want to build!  Oh, maybe I should do one of the figures I've had in the stash for a long time... hang on I think I might even have a ship or two in the stash as well...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I've always been open to building weird sh... stuff

I will be interested to see what you can build that's outside your comfort zone. You have always built such a wide range of models that have turned out beautifully!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 10:23 AM, Marklo said:

1-C5-F995-E-2-B3-F-4969-9-A70-E7-CB98106

I’m toying with building one of these; a Caproni C.60. In 1/144 in comes in at 211 mm wide and although I do build a lot of multi wing aircraft I don’t think any would argue tha a triple triplane was in anyone’s comfort zone :) 

I thought it was an April Fool's Day entry. But no, you @Marklo posted THAT WHATSIT on march 28????? Pablo Picasso's plane?

14 hours ago, PattheCat said:

THAT WHATSIT on march 28????? Pablo Picasso's plane?

There’s quite a bit of weirdness in early aviation pribably one of the reasons most of by builds are pre 1930. 

018DFC4D-1905-485A-9FAA-9C387E2FC293.jpg

This believe it or not was a Fokker prototype 

A61B697E-DAB6-4FA4-892F-7AFB13613C45.jpgThe Sage Type 2 an attempt to mount a machine gun outside the propellor arc 

F53-F0-CFB-95-FA-4-DA6-9-E80-A783-DA3894Or one of my favourites the Oertz W6 nicknamed the flying Schooner, the most wings I’ve put on a plane (so far) 

97-ABBCC5-9-E57-4-D94-92-AB-476953-B4-FCThe Supermarine PB31 Nighthawk ( yes the same as we’re responsible for the Spitfiire) a prototype night Zeppelin intercepter.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Dang, and to think  I had my Wallace and Grommet side car ( but that might be reserved for go large as it’s 1/18 scale) , my yellow helicopter and my Bismark all ready to go….

Now I do have two spitfires in the stash ( actually now that o think of it I have three, a MKIa, a MK V and a MK XIV) but one of them ( a Mk V) is earmarked for the Entropy GB….

Eek I just realised this one is almost live, better get my salty sea digs and last two FWs done.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1