Not my comfort zone GB Chat

AdrianMF

If my bench is clear in between other GBs, I may well join in with this one with either a Dapol steam loco (9F or City of Truro) or an ICM Viking figure that were all bought for me as presents over the last few years. As I normally build F1 and rally cars, any of the above would be well out of my comfort zone :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

What are the dates please?

If you look at the top of the future build forum there is a sheet with the dates of all the GBs on 

• Thanks 2

I have started the preparation for my Vacform Rareplanes Gotha GIV as permitted  so now I am definitely committed, if not I should be as I will also be building the Roden Gotha GII/GIII as a double build. The bits are cut out, sanding will be dealt with in due course, as will a photo of collected dust as is de rigoure for any vacform build.

DSCN9536

I am so looking forward to this starting (ahem!) if only so I do not keep thing of other kits in my stash which could quite easily qualify for this GB (Heller 1/100 Soleil Royale, I am looking at you!).

All the best,

Ray

• Like 6

Adrian, would you consider just a diorama base to be eligible as my entry? I have never tried building one... It could include some figures and vehicles too, but not the actual subject I'd build it for as a display base. V-P

• Like 7

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Adrian, would you consider just a diorama base to be eligible as my entry? I have never tried building one... It could include some figures and vehicles too, but not the actual subject I'd build it for as a display base. V-P

Ooh, good one VP, I've avoided making bases so far, exactly because of the reasons this GB exists

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adrian. Can you put me down for this pile of p.. lastic.

It is the venerable Pegasus Spitfire Mk 22/24, which I can remember buying from the Aviation Hobby Shop in West Drayton in the 80's, and which has sat in a corner of the loft for the last 40 years. 

spacer.png spacer.png 

This is one of the underwing radiators. Yes, it is entirely solid.. and, yes, that is a whopping great dip in the top.

spacer.png

Undercarriage legs and main doors moulded in one piece... Not sure where the wheels are but they were amorphous blobs anyway.

spacer.png

In a strange way I'm actually looking forward to this one. 

Nige

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

On 27/02/2023 at 18:21, Ray S said:

committed

Madness! Good on yer...

On 28/02/2023 at 10:34, vppelt68 said:

a diorama base to be eligible

If it's new and scary to you, it's in!

On 11/03/2023 at 17:39, Galligraphics said:

p.. lastic.

Pegasus did show a very steep learning curve - the late ones are actually really nice, the early ones, - well - er - not so much, That Spitfire looks terrifying!

Less than a month to go... I'm already having nightmares about being chased by large PE frets!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm already having nightmares about being chased by large PE frets

I'm just worried I will lose body parts (my own or from the kit) or sand off my fingertips when I attempt a vacform kit

/P

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

lose body parts

Please be strongly advised that neither chainsaws nor angle grinders are recommended for vac forms 😬🫣

Although its is sometimes tempting!

Maybe I need to take out insurance for this GB 🤔

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 6

I found these little guys on a Japanese website and figured they would fit this GB theme nicely... when I looked at the sprues I have no idea how you actually manage to complete a kit in this munchkin scale, so it will get me out of my comfort zone, even if the Hawker Hurricane subject is a familiar one to me! There are four models between the two boxes, but I'll likely just build two total... we'll see. Somehow I highly doubt the "2 min" claim on the box top 🤣

y4mW4qm3I_AoAIp9a6xJeeVE95RKxToFw5zWX2Qc

• Like 7

• AdrianMF changed the title to Not my comfort zone GB (8 April - 30 July)
4 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Somehow I highly doubt the "2 min" claim on the box top

I've built a few of these. Tey do go together fairly quick. A bit longer than 2 minutes though

They do turn into reasonable (if very small) models

/P

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

1/144 is not my scale

My only 1/144 scale model is a Revell Tempest, now seen on a wire attacking a paper mache dragon on top of a dolls house. Does that count as a diorama?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I found these little guys on a Japanese website and figured they would fit this GB theme nicely... when I looked at the sprues I have no idea how you actually manage to complete a kit in this munchkin scale, so it will get me out of my comfort zone, even if the Hawker Hurricane subject is a familiar one to me! There are four models between the two boxes, but I'll likely just build two total... we'll see. Somehow I highly doubt the "2 min" claim on the box top 🤣

y4mW4qm3I_AoAIp9a6xJeeVE95RKxToFw5zWX2Qc

I don't know this firm but wonder what the quality will be like. 1/144 is not impossible- for me it works because I'm happy to go with an impressionistic approach as you just can't all the detail of a realist style in. This is an Eduard one I built in (cough) 2020..

PXL-20230316-105848418-MP.jpg 

Hopefully you can tell it was part of a box file diorama for the 75th anniversary of WW2. It was going to be 'Run Rabbit Run' as one of the Yoxford Boys spots himself a target of opportunity on the way home. It was inspired by the reverse incident happing to a train near Saffron Walden with a German fighter in the BoB. Anyhow 3 years later the mojo has long since evaporated. maybe it should make its way to KUTA.

Be encouraged though, it IS a workable scale. If you want something to practice on, PM me your address and I'll get a Zveda Hurrian in the post to you. It's got no propellor (long story involving a 1/72 Cesna) so the parts count is even less and it's cruder than Eduard but it'll save it from my stash.

Edited by Mjwomack
Aitocucumber again
  • Like 4

This will be my preferred entry if it meets approval:

BhvG6u3.jpg

A small project, but a lot to learn: It's time I had a go at figure painting. Aside from a handful of 1/72 pilots, my experience is zero. I caught the nautical bug during the Salty Sea Dog GB and went trawling the internet for a retro deep sea diver figure. I found this little beauty from Ronin Miniatures in Ukraine. Also, to make things even more out of my comfort zone, I quite fancy setting this guy in a little undersea vignette using resin. I've watched loads of YouTube videos, now it's time to try it myself. What could possibly go wrong? :snorkle:

• Like 3

On 16/03/2023 at 11:17, AdrianMF said:

My only 1/144 scale model is a Revell Tempest, now seen on a wire attacking a paper mache dragon on top of a dolls house. Does that count as a diorama?

Yes! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

Also, to make things even more out of my comfort zone, I quite fancy setting this guy in a little undersea vignette using resin.

Now you're talkin' - excellent!

Now that the GB is nearly upon us I'm torn between looking forward to everyone's projects, and dread at the enormous sheet of PE that needs my attention 🫣

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pegasus had two attempts at the Spitfire 22/24. The one shown and an earlier effort which was similar. I built the earlier effort in the mid eighties and don't know what happened to it. From the dim  memory of it I wish you luck.

As well as the Vespid Comet (so many wheels!), I am strongly tempted by the Thunderbird One Launch Bay my son bought me for a Father's day present last year. Structure building is definitely out of my comfort zone. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 5

Unfortunately work has been incredibly slow on my current project. The torment at the hands of a 1/72 vacform Albatros will be a bit late to the party. 

• Like 4

With my current and future builds I am getting used to working outside my comfort zone, in as much as my entry for would most likely be a injection moulded 1:72 FW190 (or similar) in that the last Luftwaffe plane I build was too long ago to remember and I have avoided single piston engine planes for some time as the main stay of of the local airfields were medium and heavy bombers or post war jets. Building those has been my main project over the last few years.

If I do find time to enter then it's likely that my entry would be a Welsh Models 1;144 vac form airliner as I have two on the stash, both bought for £5 a few years ago. Another option is 1:72 or 1:76 figures as I have never got to grips with painting these.

1-C5-F995-E-2-B3-F-4969-9-A70-E7-CB98106

I’m toying with building one of these; a Caproni C.60. In 1/144 in comes in at 211 mm wide and although I do build a lot of multi wing aircraft I don’t think any would argue tha a triple triplane was in anyone’s comfort zone :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2