Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 911 Turbo with RUF Wheels

Hello all, my latest project was a pretty simple build after participating in another online buildoff. The Tamiya kit is very simple but pretty well proportioned. The body on the kit is one piece except for the mirrors, so all of the bumper, wing and window trim has to be masked after the body was painted and polished. I went for a metallic brown that I mixed out of Mr Color Copper, Brown and Black.

911_Outside_1-1_1920x1080

911_Outside_1-2_1920x1080

The biggest issue for me with my kit was that I had stolen the wheels for a BMW 2002 build I did a while back. I wanted to replace them with RUF wheels as they were always my favourite on this era 911. I recently bought an Elegoo Mars 3D Resin Printer and have been really impressed by the print quality and detail. I was worried that the print layers would be visible and would require extensive cleanup but it's been taking 1 or 2 coats of primer to leave a nice smooth finish. I modelled these as 2-piece wheels, painted the centres silver and the barrels with Alclad Chrome. Tires are from the Tamiya 350Z kit.

ruf_wheels2-1920x1080

The interior is very basic - 6 parts in total. I replaced the kit wheel with one from the parts bin.

911_Interior_1920x1080

A few more shots:

911_Outside_1-3_1920x1080

911_Outside_1-6_1920x1080

911_Outside_8-1_1920x1080

Thanks for looking!

Martin.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Another very nice build Martin, I do like the colour you mixed and it's a cracking paintjob! Personally for me the wheels are a bit too big for that era of 911, but you've made a really good job of designing and printing them - I'm jealous!!

Lovely Porker!

Keith

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gt6mkiii said:

The Tamiya kit is very simple but pretty well proportioned. The body on the kit is one piece except for the mirrors, so all of the bumper, wing and window trim has to be masked after the body was painted and polished.

Simple is fine, when as Tamiya have done here, the proportions etc are spot on.  A pain to paint all the detail though!!  You have done a lovely job of this, and the photography is stunning.  I like the 3D printed wheels too - do you have any pics of them when straight out of the printer?  I've been thinking of getting one of that model as I've read good things about it.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I like the 3D printed wheels too - do you have any pics of them when straight out of the printer?  I've been thinking of getting one of that model as I've read good things about it.

I've got this shot of the resin wheel out of the printer after washing before painting:

wheels_raw_2

Note that the black tire is a rubber kit piece, whereas the grey tire is printed for a different model. I modified my 3D model after this print to make the barrel shallower. I don't have a macro setting on my camera so it's tough to get right in to show close-up resolution but like I said in the post a couple of coats of thin primer leaves a very smooth surface. I would recommend the Elegoo Mars - the resin cleanup is definitely more of a pain than my FDM printer but being able to create pieces that look good at 1/24 scale is worth the hassle to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you - that's definately answered any queries!!  I've quite a few ideas for scratchbuilding various projects, including complete car models so based on this, that printer is definately up to the job!

• Like 1

Thank goodness the last photo has your hand in it just to confirm it is a model.  In the rest of the photos it looks like a real car just parked up waiting for its owner to return.  I know 911s are not everyone's cup of tea but I love them and those wheels just lift it that extra bit.  Class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, 

Ylu have done a great build of this 911 turbo!

The paint is very nice and this color fits well with the car.

For me too, the wheels are a bit too big but that is your choice. 

Congratulations, 

Lolo

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nicely done, I've done the same kit in guards red with BBS RS rims (taken from a Fujimi Koenig 930 kit) but would love to do another with the Ruf wheels. 

Any chance you could produce a set I could purchase?

Richard

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, RL930 said:

Very nicely done, I've done the same kit in guards red with BBS RS rims (taken from a Fujimi Koenig 930 kit) but would love to do another with the Ruf wheels. 

Any chance you could produce a set I could purchase?

Richard

It's possible, where in Canada are you located?

• 2 weeks later...