Hataka, opinions please.

sinnerboy

My next crucifixion  build is going to be IBG's PZL11 and as Hataka do a Polish paint set I thought I'd give them a try never having used them before.

So if any body else has, what did you think of them in terms of ease of use, colour match and durability?

Also what range did you use ie

Red Band=Acrylic suited to an airbrush.

Blue Band= Acrylic brushable.

Orange Band=Lacquer based. 

TIA

I found the orange lacquer range just ok, suffered from tip dry with was almost controlled with tamiya lacquer retarder. Wouldn’t be my go to range if I was being honest. I have some of the acrylics but can’t bring myself to use them as they had a lot of bad press. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

With Testors now gone for the most part, I have been looking at other brands to use. I have heard that Hataka is very good, and works well. I knew that they have three "Lines", @sinnerboy's post gives a good description of them. My question is how accurate are their paints? Do their RAF/FAA colors match? Their WW2/Modern Luftwaffe, and soviet/Russian, and other air forces good matches? Thanks for your help in advance.

Joe

I got into the Hataka paints in part because I needed Soviet and Polish WWII colors and also because of some recommendations. Hataka’s Orange is what I have used, thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinner since that is what I have. Addressing color accuracy for their RAF colors, using 75 year old eyeballs, indoors with artificial light compared to the RAF Museum chips... Dark Earth looks a good match as does Ocean Grey. Hataka’s Dark Green is also billed as FS34079 and is darker than the museum DG chip, the MSG is also off, also being a little too dark. I haven’t yet made color strips for EDSG, Dark Slate Grey and Sky. 

I am using their orange line with their own thinners and so far, so good. 

Normally I thin it a ration of 1/3 been 1 part thinner and 3 paint and had sprayed with air pressures from 18 psi to 25 psi. 

They allow for heavy handling and do sand and feather really nicely. Usually, I let them dry for a day (even though after about 0.5 to 1 hour you can touch it without problems).

One thing though is you have to shake them very, but very well. Their pigment tend to decant in the bottom of the container and if you are not careful and mix it thoroughly, the shade of the color will be darker than what it should be. Taking in account this, you could play with this to achieve different tonalities for weathering...

Even, have used the same orange for small brush application (directly from the bottle) and it lend itself to be applied without issues. 

Last but not least, I like their white very much. Have very good coverage.

Give it a go.

@Chuck1945, thanks for your comments, it sounds as if their color matches are very good. The little differences that you see are normal. Jamie of Sovereign Hobbies would say that it is fine. Now he does(along with Stew) try to ensure that his line tries to be as close to the BS colors as possible. But, Hataka does seem to be offering a quality line of paints. Thanks for your comments.

• 8 months later...

Just after some advice - been offered a few part used sets of the Blue Line (optimised for brush) by an ex-colleague. Are they any good? Much of the chat on the thread seems to be re Airbrushing (which I don't generally do).

About a 90 minute round trip to collect so probably best to know whether it's worth bothering!

4 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Just after some advice - been offered a few part used sets of the Blue Line (optimised for brush) by an ex-colleague. Are they any good? Much of the chat on the thread seems to be re Airbrushing (which I don't generally do).

About a 90 minute round trip to collect so probably best to know whether it's worth bothering!

Hi, I've used the Blue line Swedish Airforce set for brush painting with good results, well at least I think so. 

49878035423_136bcc5250_k.jpg438 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr

I use them straight out of the bottle, which became much easier when I pried away the dropper tops.

/Bosse

• Like 1