HP Hastings - types and internal layouts?

bootneck

I have a few Welsh Models vacforms on the go at the moment, one of them being this HP Hastings.  I have opened up the main passenger/cargo doors and added a deck internally; however, that is about as much as I know on this aircraft. 

spacer.png

I would be grateful if someone could provide advice on types that can be built and what the internal cabin/cargo area would look like.  I do know that they were used for passenger, cargo and meteorology taskings but I have some queries:  where the passenger variants all passenger, or passenger and cargo mix?

Apart from the seating facing rearwards, what would a typical seating/cargo area layout look like? If they did have mix and match that is.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

I can't make out which variant of Hastings you've got there but basically the tailplane is different between the C1 (and those converted to T5s) and the C2/C3/C4. The later variants had a longer span tailplane set lower on the fuselage - if you look at photos of where the cheatline is relative to the tailplane you'll soon spot what I mean.

I've got some drawings and photos that show some interior detail and will get them scanned for you later. Have you looked at the interior photos in the Walkaround section?  Although the Newark example is a T5 which was equipped for training V-bomber crews so different from a passenger/cargo hauler on the inside as well as having the radome underneath, but might give you an idea of what could be seen through the door.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

yes, I did look around Julien's photo's and, apologies for not knowing much about the Hasting, I wasn't sure of that seating arrangement.  I would like very much to receive any plans and info that would be of help please.

This is the aircraft that I am planning to finish my model as but I wouldn't know what version it was.  I currently have all the aircraft in this view under construction,  I was based in Borneo at that time and these were common sites, along with Belvederes, Whirlwinds and Javelins.

spacer.png

The kit I have is the C1A/T5, although I don't know if the one in the above picture is the same version.  If not, and with any plans I can get, I could have a go at converting it if needed.

spacer.png

cheers,
Mike

• Like 3

I wish I could help you with this topic.  At the risk of going OT, however, I really appreciate and enjoy the photo above, especially of the Valetta in the foreground, which shows the placement of high-visibility orange markings on the wings, tailplane, and fuselage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope these are useful.

a58908d1-20b2-46e1-a5ba-4a964c8b67d9.jpg 
1e7082ca-715e-4466-a0c1-ab811ae7dc66.jpg
resized_0496c87c-15f3-44dc-9c29-4a663aa4
resized_53cb9586-635f-4e34-ab48-92728faa
resized_bcd62791-f17c-47b1-984d-2d7ce048
resized_d4668809-a300-4822-84d9-04985b08
resized_8e38c5ea-0914-4d96-8469-c625b7c7
resized_408ac552-789a-41fd-b49a-f5c976f9
resized_925c9f01-2d43-4d85-867f-f8c10794
resized_7bdd1504-b629-4cc2-9eab-e9a13a87

The Hastings in your photo will be TG520, probably 48 sqdn, which was a C1A (underwing fuel tanks) as shown on the kit instructions.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritJet said:

Hope these are useful.

The Hastings in your photo will be TG520, probably 48 sqdn, which was a C1A (underwing fuel tanks) as shown on the kit instructions.

Steve

Wow! Steve,

those are absolutely fantastic, thank you very much.  Can you tell me what publication they are from?

Mike

I bought this book, expecting it to have line drawings and internal details, but all it has is the history and loads of colour side profiles.

spacer.png

Are there any additional drawings and details in your book?  If so, I shall keep a watchful lookout for a copy.

cheers,
Mike

I don't think there's anything else that's relevant to what you're likely to do with the kit, there are more cutaways of the construction etc. As you've opened the cargo doors have you noticed the angled bottom edge to the opening to allow the vehicle ramp to meet the floor at the right angle.

Steve

21 minutes ago, BritJet said:

have you noticed the angled bottom edge to the opening to allow the vehicle ramp to meet the floor at the right angle.

Now you tell me!  :christmas:

I haven't joined the fuselage halves yet, so I shall try to correct that before adding seats and/or cargo.  Might even do two, one of each type.

cheers,

Mike

Hello Mike,

thank you for the lovely photo! This will be an interesting project. I have an "Aeroplane Monthly" article about Operation Grapple with a photo showing the cargo compartment complete with those steel drums containing the nuclear material. I can find it, if you think the photo is of interest to you.

Where was your photo taken? To my eye it looks like Kuching, but the airport looked of course very different in the 90s when I was there.

Cheers,

Antti

Hello Mike,

as promised here is a photo showing the nuclear material aboard Hastings WJ333 (Callsign RAFair 333).

spacer.png

It must have been quite a ride for those officers from AAE&E who accompanied the material all the way from England to Christmas Island... Think of the noise, cold and vibrations. The story was published in Flypast (February 2000); not in Aeroplane Monthly as I originally stated.

spacer.png

I added this one from the same article, as it shows the location and size of the roundels and also the exhaust stains.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1