Su-35UB No:801 (T-10UBM-1) Conversion based on MHM 1:48

57 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Hi Serkan, what did you use to mask the hatches after you had painted them stainless steel?

Fantastic result by the way. 👍

Gondor

Thanks Gondor,

For masking I use vinyl stencil film Oramask 810.  I prepare first the contours in corel or inkscape and then export them as svg file and create masks using cutter/plotter.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have scaled up the Su-35UB mask artwork which I prepared for my 1:72 conversion reported here:

2098.jpg

2088.jpg

The upper surface of model was painted to MM1562 and the masks were placed for mid blue areas:

2089.jpg

Next step is to paint dark blue and place masks and masking putty for faded camouflage edges.

Serkan

• Like 4

Here is the result:

2093.jpg

In general the paint scheme looks great but it seems that the Alclad black microfiller primer didn't stick well the resin parts and caused lifting off all the paints. Of course this can be fixed but will cost me a week long work...

Serkan

• Like 3

Hi Serkan,

I had a very similar (if not the same) problem while painting the floats I made for my VVA-14 1/72 a few years ago.

No matter what I tried it would peel off until I was told to try a painters Primer-Sealer / Stain Killer. The product available Downunder is called B.I.N. (Where you are, it might be called something different). Smells a but it does the trick.

The colours you got look really good and the whole build has been a joy to follow.
I Hope you can give one last push and get it across the line. 

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 7:11 AM, adrianm2 said:

No matter what I tried it would peel off until I was told to try a painters Primer-Sealer / Stain Killer.

Thanks for your advice Adrian. I will definitely find a similar product here in Germany and give a try.

Currently the problem was solved by light sanding with 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper and repainting without black primer.

Also the deflected slat area was painted to stainless steel:

2134.jpg

2135.jpg

Next is to finish landing gear bay details.

Serkan

• Like 5

The landing gear wells and stabilizer tips were masked for painting:

2142.jpg

First stabilizer lower surface tips were painted to stainless steel:

2143.jpg

And the intakes were masked as well:

2144.jpg

All masked areas were painted to light grey:

2145.jpg

Next is to finish wheel well details.

Serkan

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Robert said:

Hi Serkan, looks like you nailed the blue scheme.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

After repairing the paintwork she looks pretty good. I have spent significant amount of time to repair all. Even I was thinking to remove all paints and start from the beginning...

Serkan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel John Shanks said:

Looking awesome cannot wait to see the end product! Keep it up.

Thanks John, although it seems that this project is very close to RFI there is still long way to go...

Serkan

• Like 2

The nose landing gear strut of MHM (left) kit is very pathetic and there is no way to fix it. Therefore I decided to clone this part from Academy Su-30 kit (right):

2136.jpg

As the main landing gear strut of MHM kit is within acceptable accuracy I have worked on these parts before cloning NLG parts:

2137.jpg

Some copper wires were added to replicate the hydraulic pipes in real machine. The wire diameter is a bit undersized but I can live with this...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

The Flanker intake lower lips are in stainless steel. To avoid masking and painting jobs I decided to give a try using the metallic foil from auto industry;

2138.jpg

First port side;

2139.jpg

And the starboard side as well:

2140.jpg

The result looks in overall not so bad:

2141.jpg

Next step is to fix NLG assy issues...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

On 03/07/2021 at 02:50, Serkan Sen said:

Merci Neffan. J'espère que vos builds Flanker se passent bien aussi...

Hi Serkan, not yet for my flankers.I hope to start SU-37 Number 711 during my holidays, maybe on september or ... 😉 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, not yet for my flankers.I hope to start SU-37 Number 711 during my holidays, maybe on september or ... 😉 

Hi Neffan, I hope you are happy with all the T10M parts and masks you have received. Please let me know if you have any problem with the  resin parts during your builds...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

Back to NLG assembly... I have prepared the master parts to be cloned from Academy Su-30 kit:

2150.jpg

Also all the pylons will be copied from the same Academy kit:

2151.jpg

Next is to prepare silicone molds and duplicate the parts...

Serkan

• Like 3

On 07/07/2021 at 22:30, Serkan Sen said:

Hi Neffan, I hope you are happy with all the T10M parts and masks you have received. Please let me know if you have any problem with the  resin parts during your builds...

Serkan

Hi Serkan, yes I'm very happy with all T10M parts. Many thanx 😉 

Here is the NLG assembly comparison of two Academy kits with MHM one:

2155.jpg

The NLG assembly molds were made and the assembly parts were casted from PUR. First twin wheel fork:

2156.jpg

And NLG main and lower strut:

2157.jpg

Drag stay:

2158.jpg

And mud guard:

2159.jpg

Note that the resin nose wheels are thinner than the Academy wheels. Therefore mud guard was reshaped to fit the resin wheels.

And last but not least the steering assembly:

2160.jpg

Here are all cloned parts assembled together for test and comparison:

2161.jpg

The upper torque link is still missing but it will be added as well. Also the landing light above is missing as I have used one of the early casted part which had some imperfections due to trapped air in the mold.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Bonehammer said:

Is the resin leg able to take all the weight of the model, just so? No metal 'core'?

I am asking the same question to myself too. Till now I had no significant issues in 1:72 scale but this bird is very heavy compared to her little daughters 😁.

Here the trick will be to keep centre of gravity very close to MLG to avoid excessive weight on NLG.

Serkan

• Like 2