Su-35UB No:801 (T-10UBM-1) Conversion based on MHM 1:48

The kit intake parts were glued together but the inlet cross section is far from the real shape:

1797.jpg

1798.jpg

As the first try I inserted polystyrene card

1799.jpg

But the angle looks not so correct...

To correct inlet duct I decided to copy upper wall shape from Trumpeter kit:

1800.jpg

1809.jpg

1819.jpg

1810.jpg

Now the shape looks much better...

Serkan

• Like 6

Auxiliary air intake louvres of MHM kit are pathetic. Therefore I decided to clone the louvres from Kitty Hawk Su-35E kit:

1820.jpg

1821.jpg

1822.jpg

Looks in any case better than original part...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

The aircraft was coated with black microfiller to see uneven surfaces and problematic areas:

1823.jpg

1824.jpg

The intakes and lower surface opening were temporarily placed to get an idea how the lower surface will look like:

1825.jpg

Next step is to check ventral fins.

Serkan

• Like 8

On 20/12/2020 at 15:30, Serkan Sen said:

It seems that this project didn't pull the attention of people but I will continue to report my progress 🙂

It’s a matter of time, Serkan! 😉 We’re always looking forward for your builds here. Excellent progress on these kits so far.

You’re having a lot of patience with this amount of shaping and sanding... 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Daniel John Shanks said:

This is awesome! I’m definitely team sukhoi but I am very intrigued by your blackbird work 🙌🏻 keep it up! 

Me too... But Blackbirds are always one of my favorite plane as well. I built 1:48 SR-71B 25 years ago and decided to rebuild it 15 years ago and this giant is waiting on the shelf since then to be completed:

1039.jpg

• Like 5

The ventral fins are also the bad copy of Academy fins. But I decided to clone them from HobbyBoss Su-30MKK:

1812.jpg

The HobbyBoss fin is larger than Academy/MHM ones:

1813.jpg

The master form and the cloned parts:

1814.jpg

1815.jpg

The next step is to improve horizontal tails.

Serkan 

• Like 6

I have decided first to modify flaps. My intention was to use Quickboost resin parts but they are not good enough to meet my requirements 🙂

The Academy flaps have better surface detail than the resin part:

1816.jpg

I decided to use leading edge of resin part and the flap surface of Academy part to build my own flaps:

1817.jpg

1818.jpg

1827.jpg

Next step will be the horizontal tail improvement...

Serkan

• Like 9

hi, great progress and work!

be carefull, the overall Academy Flanker is said to be a bit underscale. at least lengthwise. So taking/ copying parts from the bigger(right scaled) Hobbyboss (or now GWH & Kittyhawk)  might not do the trick entirely!

Cheers,

Werner

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

hi, great progress and work!

be carefull, the overall Academy Flanker is said to be a bit underscale. at least lengthwise. So taking/ copying parts from the bigger(right scaled) Hobbyboss (or now GWH & Kittyhawk)  might not do the trick entirely!

Cheers,

Werner

Yes I know. but as you can see along this build:

"was passt nicht wird passend gemacht..." (If It Don't Fit, Use a Bigger Hammer...) :bangin:

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

After a long break here are some more progress...

The horizontal tails of MHM model are also a poor copy of Academy one. Therefore to improve these parts I had to clone them from either Academy or Hobbyboss kit:

1826.jpg

I decided to go with Hobbyboss one:

1811.jpg

Next parts are the vertical fins...

Serkan

• Like 5

Here are the two candidates for Su-35UB; Hobbyboss Su-30MKK fin and Wolfpack Su-30MKK resin part. The Wolfpack resin fin looks more accurate than the Hobbyboss fin at first glance but when you look closer the surface contour is not so good:

1828.jpg

The Hobbyboss fin and rudder spans are shorter than the Wolfpack one and the right fine leading edge scoop has the same size of left side which is not correct either:

1829.jpg

When both these fins are compared to the real aircarft vertical fin none of them seems accurate. The Hobbyboss fin and rudder tips are shorter than the real aircraft:

1840.jpg

Hobbyboss right fin dielectric panel is approximately two ribs position longer than the real one:

1838.jpg

But all these issues can be easily fixed in Hobbyboss fin. Therefore I decided to proceed with Hobbyboss fins.

Next step is to clone fins and make the necessary corrections.

Serkan

• Like 5

Thanks Daniel, I was also a bit surprised not only because of size but also uneven surface quality of Wolfpack fins.

Here are the master parts to be cloned:

1830.jpg

The parts are casted and ready for fit test. First the port side fit test:

1833.jpg

And now the starboard fin:

1834.jpg

The result looks not bad. As you can notice both fins have the same sized inlet scoop at fin root. The starboard scoop will be corrected in the next step...

Serkan

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Serkan, your pursuit of perfection is truly inspirational.  Great work, as always.

How are the Blackbirds coming along? :poke:

David

Thanks David,

Blackbird projects are currently on hold. I cleaned the 3D printer and put aside for some weeks to be able to finish couple of Flanker projects. But I did significant improvements on CAD model and I will post them soon.

Serkan

• Like 3

The right fin scoop was copied from Kittyhawk Su-35S fin:

1835.jpg

With a little surgery the scoop was replaced successfully:

1836.jpg

1837.jpg

The rudder span and fin tip have not been corrected yet. I will do it in later stages. The next step will be the cockpit details...

Serkan

• Like 6

Before starting the cockpit area there is one more part to be duplicated, the canard...

I decided to clone Kittyhawk Su-35S canard as it looks much better than Wolfpack resin one:

1930.jpg

1931.jpg

And here are the duplicated canards:

2011.jpg

Next will be the cockpit details...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

IFR lights were copied from Wolfpack nose:

1924.jpg

Cockpit resin parts were primed and painted:

1925.jpg

The cockpit instrument panels and details were painted to black. Here is the rear cockpit area:

1926.jpg

1927.jpg

The front cockpit details were also done and both sections were placed in cockpit tub:

1928.jpg

1929.jpg

The seats, front glare shield and control sticks will be added later.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6