Su-35UB No:801 (T-10UBM-1) Conversion based on MHM 1:48

Since long time I was looking for a resin conversion set to build Su-27M series and Su-35UB (which was a movie star of "Mirror Wars: Reflection One") and finally I found a set with Academy Flanker kit included in ebay...

1752.jpg

Both the kit and conversion set were in top condition and I was really happy what I got for 60€:

1760.jpg

1761.jpg

1762.jpg

For this twin seater conversion I will use one of my MHM kit waiting in basement for several years. It won't hurt much if I ruin the kit after such massive butchery...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 7

• Serkan Sen changed the title to Su-35UB No:801 (T-10UBM-1) Conversion based on MHM 1:48

This is the MHM kit to be used in this conversion:

1753.jpg

1757.jpg

1758.jpg

1759.jpg

This kit is a bad copy of Academy one and there are many issues with the size and accuracy. Also the panel lines are pathetic and the plastic and surface quality is poor. But such a butchery project the kit is ideal... 😁

Serkan

• Like 4

Here are the main parts to be used in this project. These are Wolfpack Su-33 shoulders, Aires wheel bays and nozzles, Quickboost flaps and Wolfpack Su-30 cockpit and vertical fins:

1763.jpg

1764.jpg

I have started the butchery from lower surface:

1754.jpg

First the the areas for resin canard shoulders were opened:

1755.jpg

Then the wings were detached from fuselage to replace main wheel bays:

1756.jpg

The wheel bays were opened as well:

1766.jpg

Finally the main wheel bays were glued to their places:

1768.jpg

For now the conversion looks not so bad. But for upper half the story will be different...

Serkan

• Like 3

During last two days I was busy with getting SSL Certificate for my website which I use to post images to this forum. I noticed that without SSL cetificate all posts with embedded image links were broken in "chrome" as it requires secured connection to display them. I did cheks with other browsers like Firefox ,Opera etc. which all worked fine. But this was an opportunity to learn how to get SLL certificate and links with a webpage...

A bit more progress on this conversion:

Before removing Su-27UB LERX and mount canard shoulders I have made litte study how to fit them in best way. Here are the panel lines highlighted and the resin shoulders to be placed:

1769.jpg

The panel lines don't match with the resin part. I decided to compare the original Academy Su-27UB and MHM one:

1770.jpg

There are significant differences at speed brake and cockpit areas and MHM kit is significantly shorter than Academy one. I have started to modify port side first:

1771.jpg

1772.jpg

and then the starboard side:

1774.jpg

Note that the kit gun port was repositioned to match resin part.

1773.jpg

1776.jpg

And bottom view:

1767.jpg

The shoulders are currently fixed with tapes. They will be glued during glueing the fuselage halves together...

Serkan

• Like 3

Before glueing the fuselage halves the nose lower section was removed from lower half to be able to install cockpit parts later:

1778.jpg

The wings were also highly bended downwards at the tip. Therefore reinforcements are needed to bring wings to correct position:

1786.jpg

Aluminum pieces were glued to straighten the wings:

1787.jpg

Then the fuselage halves were glued together;

1788.jpg

Also the first dry fit test for cockpit part was done:

1789.jpg

1790.jpg

Next step is to check nose cone shape.

Serkan

• Like 4

It seems that this project didn't pull the attention of people but I will continue to report my progress 🙂

The kit nose cone is far beyond having a correct shape and highly distorted even in the sprue. I checked all other MHM kits I have in my stash and they have all the same issue:

1791.jpg

As the first attempt I have tried to bring back the cross section shape to circle by heating the nose cone and fill with PU resin and then reshape to get correct nose contour:

1792.jpg

The result was not too bad but still far from acceptable shape. As the second attempt I decided to clone Kitty Hawk Su-35 nose cone and fit it to MHM kit:

1793.jpg

As the nose part including wind shield will be replaced/modified to include IRST and IFF probe and lights, I made a comparison of all possible candidates for this task:

1779.jpg

1780.jpg

1781.jpg

1782.jpg

The Windmark Su-33 nose included in Wolfpack set is the best option for this conversion. There are still some modifications to be done on this part but this is relatively easy work...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

I was looking for Wolfpack conversion set to build all T-10M series as well as this T-10UMB-1 and chinese J-15S (tandem twin seater naval Su-33) although I have KH in my stash. I will use only the cloned canard shoulders and modified front fuselage in my T-10M builds and the rest in J-15S build as seen below (from http://chinesemilitaryreview.blogspot.com/)

J-15S+Black+Sharks+2x+CG+Chinese+J-15+Fl

J-15S+Black+Sharks+2x+CG+Chinese+J-15+Fl

Serkan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

Zor bir modifikasyon olacak ama isin eğlencesi burada...

Well, I had seen your previous works, I am sure you gonna tackle it and she will turn out like a pearl. Hadi bakalım :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work Serkan, will follow along and also your other builds. I have the Eduard Su-27UB which I have just started, Its basically the Academy kit with extras. I dont know much about this aircraft so look forward to seeing this progress more.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bob, the kit I am working on it is infact very cheap copy of Academy Su-27UB kit. But for such butchery it is very convenient to use this cheap kit. Many years ago somehow I bought a dozen of MHM kits with different markings. After seeing the poor plastic and detail quality I sold several of them on ebay. Now I am planning to use remaining few of them in such conversion projects.

Serkan

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The aircraft was coated with Alclad black microfiller primer and problematic areas were filled with Revell putty:

1805.jpg

1806.jpg

After a bit fine sanding the airframe looks like this:

1807.jpg

In overall the progress so far seems not so bad. Note that how bad the surface quality of MHM kit which becomes more visible after sanding.

Serkan

• Like 5