P-51D-25-NT HVAR Installation

Ray_W

Sort of a cross-over subject between WW2 and Cold War. I am hunting for a good image of the 10 HVAR installation on the Mustang. I have details on the 3 rocket wing, but no clear image of a 5 rocket wing. I assume mounting to the bomb/fuel tank carrier.

Also, any traps for the unwary when modelling the Dash 25. Subject will be RAAF.

Any assistance welcome.

Ray

9 minutes ago, silberpferd said:

I hope those will help

Thank you Laurent.

Now that is interesting with the 5 replicated HVAR mounts. Different to this arrangement on the Australian War Memorial example:

Mustang HVAR installation

I have since found a good resource here:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/410759-1772157-p-51dh-missing-loadouts/

This link also shows the RAAF example with 10 HVAR fitted. It does seem the bomb carrier was removed to fit the extra two rockets per wing.

Hopefully, the Mustang aficionados can chime in with more information about such fitment and the relationship to D dash numbers.

Ray

1 hour ago, silberpferd said:

Also a nice reference for an original D-25-NT

Nice Picture :thumbsup:

Sad we can't read the last 3 digits, would be able to see which

RNZAF Airframe that was.

Thanks for posting

Edit  OK, per post below by silberpferd, Serial No. AAF - 45 - 11513 - NZ2423

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

For a RAAF type. This image from ADF Serials claimed to be A68-808 P51D-25-NT 45-11473. There is also a colour image of apparently the same aircraft with wing tanks DDT spraying with white rudder and red/white spinner.  

A68-808 small

Ray

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, silberpferd said:

If you click on the picture, you will have access to the Flickr page with 147 photos.

Laurent, that's a great image posted of an Australian P-51. I note the A68 fuselage serial. Practice heads and good weathering detail.  

The Flickr link is wonderful. Really useful set of images. Great NZ subject to model. What's the story?

Ray

21 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Great NZ subject to model. What's the story?

Hi Ray,

That's the former RNZAF P51D Mustang (NZ2423) that the late John Smith

had in his collection.

It's been moved to Omaka for cleaning/preservation AFAIK

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Ray,

That's the former RNZAF P51D Mustang (NZ2423) that the late John Smith

had in his collection.

It's been moved to Omaka for cleaning/preservation AFAIK

Nope, it's gone to Brendan Deere's Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar at Ohakea.  There they have already largely completed the strip down to components, sent the engine and propellor off for refurbishing, the wings are heading to the USA for a rebuild, been documenting and photographing every little detail that they find and cataloguing the large cache of spares and components John Smith had accompanying this aircraft.  It will be returned to airworthy and join the other flying aircraft in Brendan's collection based out of RNZAF Ohakea.  Brendan has been posting up lots of pictures and regular updates on the BHHH FB page, including lots of photos that people have found of NZ2423 during its RNZAF service and at various times when it was in John Smith's big red shed. 

The d.h. Mosquito is at Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre currently undergoing preservation and conservation before going on display there.  It is NOT being returned to airworthy.  They have a 'by invitation' FB page where regular updates on the progress being made on the Mosquito are being posted.  AVSPECS were able to get out of the John Smith collection a large number of components that will assist in a number of future new build Mosquito projects, including one destined for the UK.  John Smith's d.h. Tiger Moth will also be on static display at OAHC.  The P-40 'Gloria Lyons' is also at Omaka undergoing preservation and conservation before static display at OAHC.  There is also another P-40 out of the John Smith collection that is at Omaka at it is being restored to airworthy.

And Ray, get yourself a copy of Southern Cross Mustangs by David Muir.  It has a whole chapter on things under wings on RAAF and RNZAF Mustangs.  Or just pester Dick and the guys at Red Roo for answers on AMI.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ColFord said:

And Ray, get yourself a copy of Southern Cross Mustangs by David Muir. 

Thanks Colin for the detailed response. If I was back in Australia I would definitely order a copy of David's book. I might still do. 

6 hours ago, ColFord said:

The P-40 'Gloria Lyons' is also at Omaka undergoing preservation and conservation before static display at OAHC.  There is also another P-40 out of the John Smith collection that is at Omaka at it is being restored to airworthy.

NZ3220 Gloria Lyons fuselage is at Omaka, Wings (last I saw) are/were here

in Auckland for Corrosion control (AVSPECS I believe)

The Other P40 is NZ3043, a P40E-1, still in it's original Curtiss DuPont Colours

G'day Ray,

The pic below of A68-137 when she was doing tailplane load tests at ARDU in 1950/51 may be of some help. You can see the faired-over mounting points for the pylon, and its fairing's outline on the wing under surface. This should help you position the two inner rocket fittings. I've got a drawing somewhere among my Mustang stuff with the stations of the stores' mounts, but memory tells me that the rocket launcher fittings were equi-spaced.

A yaw probe, to enable the pilot to fly the aeroplane at different angles of attack while keeping yaw to a minimum, has been mounted on the fittings for the outboard rockets, with the inner four fittings mounted in their normal positions. As a matter of interest, A68-137 still flies as VH-PPV, finished as KH791, CV-P, of No. 3 Sqn RAAF, owned by Judy Page and Richard Hourigan.

Cheers,

Peter M

db6647e1-28e2-4180-981c-b9329462225b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

The pic below of A68-137 when she was doing tailplane load tests at ARDU in 1950/51 may be of some help.

Thank you Peter.

That is a very useful image clearly showing what is going on. I now understand how reasonably easy it was to mount the various carrier arrangements. Answers my original question. As an aside, look at that beautifully constructed leading edge - P-51 mid 40's par excellence.

I am using Eduard's kit #82102 and all the plastic to do the loadout is available in the kit making it easy to do a 10 HVAR RAAF dash 25 subject. Thank you Eduard

Sufficient rockets and mountings are provided:

Eduard P-51 Loadout Options

I just need to drill out the obligatory pilot holes:

Eduard P-51 HVAR locations

Question remaining is whether the British RP-3 is more appropriate than US HVAR?

Edit: Seems I have now have answered my own question - post WW2 Japan occupancy seems RP-3 and Korean conflict HVAR. Good images here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7YhBmBFkqM

So, having cleared all that, and seeing I am planning a RAAF 77 Squadron Korean War era aircraft, it is most likely I will actually go with 4 HVAR and 2 napalm like so:

RAAF 77th Fighter Squadron F-51 Mustangs (1951)

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Updated information
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 2:44 AM, Ray_W said:

So, having cleared all that, and seeing I am planning a RAAF 77 Squadron Korean War era aircraft, it is most likely I will actually go with 4 HVAR and 2 napalm like so:

RAAF 77th Fighter Squadron F-51 Mustangs (1951)

Ray

Good to see another F-51 being built, the subject seems to be pretty neglected compared to other Mustangs.   That's the load out I used for my Tamiya F-51D as well, seemed to be a pretty common load out in Korea.

IMG_0791

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 11bravo said:

That's the load out I used for my Tamiya F-51D as well, seemed to be a pretty common load out in Korea.

Looks a very nice build indeed.

I will be modellling typical for the RAAF although I've see the SAAF P-51's with 3 HVAR and napalm .

SAAF P-51 Loadout

Ray

• Like 1

Thank all of you who posted; not my scale, obviously, but an excellent reference for modeling this loadout in any scale. Can't ever have enough No. 2 Squadron Flying Springbok photos in my collection, whether it be Spits, Mustangs, Meatboxes, or Sabres, either! :thanks:

Mike

• Like 1