RAF Underwing Landing Flare Bracket

bjohns5

Can anybody tell me the official name of the landing flare holder that 1930s RAF planes had mounted under each wing? And does anybody have more detailed photos or drawings of one so I can scratchbuild a pair to put on my Tiger Moth since Airfix didn't include them?

spacer.png

I believe it's the Holt flare system, and if I recall, was already being used late WWI for night time landing.  There are examples of this on Canadian Siskens,  possibly employed as part of their aerobatic displays.

Two images from my hard drive, I think, were found on the Aerodrome forums:

zXbM5qm.jpg

r7EeF8Z.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

... and my simple answer made from brass sheet and tubing on the 1/72 Matchbox kit:

oHyhf7B.jpg

NNOPr7M.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, JackG said:

and my simple answer made from brass sheet and tubing on the 1/72 Matchbox kit:

That is really nice work. especially for 1/72. I'm amazed at how tiny the Tiger Moth is in 1/48 scale. But it's enormous compared to a typical 1/72 biplane. :)

• Thanks 1

Yes, there does appear to be some kind of pivot/swing ability.  Perusing the Aerodrome forum again, find mention that the hinge allowed the bracket to 'give' a little in case it struck the ground when landing.   So maybe that rubber piece with springs at either end allowed the brace to pop back into position?

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

I asked about this on the RAF Commands Forum earlier this year. After bit of further digging, I came across this entry in an American manual which may be useful:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=fNgo8nPrLOEC&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq="Holt+Wing+Tip+Flare"&source=bl&ots=fDTA8zz9tO&sig=ACfU3U1ZFn72pqWQFAiV9oygXbqd6_c-Cw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSuomcmo3oAhU9WhUIHS1YANEQ6AEwDXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q="Holt Wing Tip Flare"&f=false

Simon

• Like 3

This is quite helpfull.

All the comments.

Due to the fact, when I worked on my FE2b from WNW, I had no idea what this thing below the wing could be.

Fine, I know it now for future projects.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

What started my questioning, below the starboard wing on this Tiger Moth assigned to an anti-submarine "Scarecrow" flight is what certainly looks like a Holt flare mount. I don't see the elastic cord so I assume it is the newer split-bracket style.

spacer.png