Nobels Dark Tarmac No 4 which is it in Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats ?

Merlin

Hi,

Its a colour mentioned often in the camouflaging of British vehicles. Jamie has the other colours used but this important one I cant find, likewise Light Green No 5, I use enamels and trust Jamies colour matching unlike other brands, and Mike Starmer I recall loaned Jamie the paint chips book to match to, so I need to find this essential disruptive contrasting colour :-

extract Mike Starmer list, not sure what 'is the same name and colour again. ' is about as No4 was as a contrast over No.3.
Khaki Green No.3 (same as Camouflage Green No.3) is the same name and colour for both services. (Sovereign Colourcoats ARB03 – Khaki Green 3 )

Nobels Dark Tarmac No.4 (same as Dark Tarmac No.4) is the same name and colour again.

Light Green No.5 is the same name and colour again.

Brown Special No.2 is the same colour as S.C.C. 2 (brown) (Sovereign Colourcoats ARB05 Dark Earth (BS987C S.C.C No.2 ))

Brown Dark (MT) No.1A is the same colour as S.C.C.1A (dark brown). (Sovereign Colourcoats ARB15 Very Dark Brown (BS987C SCC No 1A )

Black Matt S.C.C. No.14, the same as S.C.C. 14 (blue-black). (Sovereign Colourcoats ARB16 Blue Black disruptive (BS987C SCC No 14 )

Merlin

29 minutes ago, Merlin said:

Its a colour mentioned often in the camouflaging of British vehicles. Jamie has the other colours used but this important one I cant find, likewise Light Green No 5, I use enamels and trust Jamies colour matching unlike other brands, and Mike Starmer I recall loaned Jamie the paint chips book to match to, so I need to find this essential disruptive contrasting colour :-

IIRC @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies has said armour paints are the slowest selling of the paint ranges he does, and he maybe just has not done done these. Possibly as well, because the colours were not inserted into a standard. 

note

from https://www.mafva.org/british-vehicle-camouflage-1939-45

"The standards in use during the period 1934 -1948 are; BSC.381C. 1930 ‘Colours for Ready Mixed Paints’.

BSC.987C 1942 ‘Camouflage Colours’ with 1944 and 1945 amendments.

Some colours noted were never inserted into a standard."

"Nobels Dark Tarmac No.4, provisional.  No standard.

Mix: 3 x Humbrol 118 + 1 x Humbrol 33

Tamiya:  1 x XF 24 + 1 x XF69.

Provisional colour; As of December 2018 archival evidence suggests an almost black shade.

In Use: August 1941 – A.C.I. 1559 authorises use of body work in ‘Dark Tarmac’ with G3 to M.T.P.20 patterns.

Description:  A dull, off-black.  However a colour seen on colour film and still photographs closely matches Revell 79 blue-grey which could also be mistaken as faded black."

Light Green G5.  Provisional.  No standard.

Mix:  2 x Humbrol 117 + 1x Humbrol 102.

Alternative;  Colour found on recovered artefact 1 x H86 + 1 x H117.

In use: 1939 till early 1941, usually as light tone in MTP20 schemes with G3.

Description: A light-medium grass green. 

Given the provisional nature,  just mix your own from the mixes given.   A suggestion, if you are mixing, buy some disposable syringes,  as they are graduated and making mixing a lot easier,  and, if you are going to use a lot, mix up a decent sized batch.

30 minutes ago, Merlin said:

extract Mike Starmer list, not sure what 'is the same name and colour again

"As in all matters within the services each used its own stores reference numbers to identify and order every item required, including paint.  The R.A.F. had its own terminology for the same army colours hence the terms used in AMOs."

But some just used the same name.

I hope this is the correct reading,  @Mike Starmer maybe able to clarify.

Hi @Troy Smith, I think it's always good to be open, honest and acknowledge one's weaknesses as well as strengths and the fact of the matter is that what I know about the Army, their vehicles, equipment, regiments, engagements, whereabouts and what paints anything was coated in could be summarised in very large font on a piece of confetti. I've simply no idea what's going on there and have yet to develop any personal interest in it. We've introduced no new armour paints in the 6 years I've owned the brand and all the iterations made with Mike Starmer happened before I got involved also. Mike did very kindly and trustingly lend me his copy of BS287 to check some of the SCC paints against, but the existing range all seemed to compare well to that.

I've never built a model using any of the armour range of paints. I don't know what any of them are for etc. I'm the worst person to ask about this stuff :lol:

• Like 2

Hi,

Looks like I will have to get hold of the Humbrol enamels and mix the Tarmac No4, as I will be using Jamies enamels for the rest and far prefer enamels, I am doing RAF vehicles and ground equipment which used these colours, so Jamie, there is a call for this paint, as long as its accurately matched to original paint swatches I am happy.

I think in fact if a set of diagrams were created to visualise Mike Starmers et al, article, and accessible on your site, more would buy, as seeing threads on it and folk struggling with other paints and mixes and varying results, it would be so useful. In the diagram under each vehicle and piece of ground equipment the Colourcoats tinlet number and colour could feature. The pages of text take some reading, what with various names all being the same shade, we need diagrams.

I see the Olive drab I needed for later war bomb trolleys and equipment is out of stock, Colourcoats ARB19 - Olive Drab BS987C SCC No.15 (revised)

when will that be back as I would rather buy all the colours in the list above in one go, save on postage/packing fees, not sure you send out one tinlet on its own anyway, please advise., or do you send the out of stock one onwards for free when the time comes its back in production ?

Regards

Merlin