Javelin GT - Airfix 1/48 Javelin Converted to FAW.7

I still cannot quite believe that Airfix was sufficiently audacious to release a Gloster Javelin in 1/48 scale.  As a teenager in the 1970s it would have seemed an impossible prospect and when I returned to the hobby a couple of years ago, I was amazed to see what Airfix had done.

A few weeks ago I psyched myself into building the Javelin and just to add a little fun, I decided to convert it to a Mk.7 using Alleycat's conversion set.  I must confess that I was a little nervous converting such a beautiful model - in my opinion, Airfix have made a superlative model, easily of Tamiya quality, and to take a saw to it was a little daunting.

One piece of work I nearly 'bottled-out' from was replacing the kit vortex generators with Alleycat's photetch versions.  At first I considered it a bit beyond me but in a moment of madness I trimmed-off the kit parts and, using the etched brass template, drilled the holes and then attached them with cyanoacrylate.  It worked perfectly and was by no means as tricky as I feared.  I was glad I did the job.  Alleycat's resin tail section fitted very well and with a modicum of filler it is difficult to spot the join.  I did take the easy route and model a Firestreak-fitted aircraft but my next Javelin will be an earlier gun-only model.

The model was painted with Tamiya spray silver on the undersurfaces and Mr. Paint DSG and DG.  I used Montex masks for the canopies and a Czech Master pitot tube - only one as only the Mks. 8 & 9 carried two. 

Here are a few shots.  The full set can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/26690797@N02/albums/72157717279401248

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The modified back end, courtesy of Alleycat.

spacer.png

In addition to replacing the vortex generators, I replaced the stall sensors with a spare vortex generator and a pair of hoops made from brass rod.

spacer.png

Next on the bench, a Canberra!

Kind regards,

Neil

Edited by neilfergylee
Fixing typos.
  • Like 47

• neilfergylee changed the title to Javelin GT - Airfix 1/48 Javelin Converted to FAW.7

Wow. Some excellent detail. I really like the Javelin as a plane and you've done it real justice.Thank you for sharing this. I'm impressed by the quality of your work. 

I quite agree that Airfix have upped their game in recent years. I did a 1:72 Heinkel He111 at start of lockdown and was very impressed by the quality of the mouldings. Just wish Airfix would do a B24 Liberator in 1:48!  

• Thanks 1

I love it! Outstanding Javelin and even better given you converted ot as well, that's a lot of work, and it certainly paid off. Brilliant, and the paintwork looks amazing.

I have just one of these in the stash, would love more including some to convert but I cannot accept them being about £60 each! Keeping my eye out for ebay bargains as always.

• Thanks 1

Gorgeous finish and what a build too!

I really want to build one as a representative of the gate guardian that was at RAF Stafford fo many years before it was scrapped and replaced with a Harrier.

Spoiler

• Thanks 1