Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

Gutted, I can't find the particularly book I promised, found lots of others just not the specific one.

However, if it helps, in another Ammo book they suggest a bare parkerised steel beneath the zimm but Adam Wilder in his book,  Adam's Armour, has gone for a dark red primer. 

I'd be inclined to go parkerised steel as part of the factory zimm process I recall involves burning to almost bake the zimm and reduce fire risk. Field applied zimm repairs could catch fire in extreme circumstances as they couldn't bake the finished zimmerit to remove the fuel vapour from it.

All that said the red does make a nice contrast.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

Thanks for your research. What colour is bare parkerised steel?

I haven't seen it in real life so am happy to be corrected, but from photos it is a darkened grey steel, not quite as dark as dark iron/gun metal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, echen said:

Thanks for your research. What colour is bare parkerised steel?

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I haven't seen it in real life so am happy to be corrected, but from photos it is a darkened grey steel, not quite as dark as dark iron/gun metal.

I'd say Stef is pretty much on the money, Ammo depict it as matt metallic mid(ish) grey, but I think it can vary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd say Stef is pretty much on the money, Ammo depict it as matt metallic mid(ish) grey, but I think it can vary.

I remembered this stuff. Quite close to what I have seen but a bit harder to get at the moment. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel.

spacer.png

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I remembered this stuff. Quite close to what I have seen but a bit harder to get at the moment. Humbrol Metalcote Polished Steel.

spacer.png

I used to like the very dark grey one/black for doing machine guns and such like, back in the day...

Got a replacement a few years ago, again Humbrol but really glossy and nothing like as good.

Think you'd need to see it in use, doesn't want to be glossy, worth a punt perhaps?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I used to like the very dark grey one/black for doing machine guns and such like, back in the day...

Got a replacement a few years ago, again Humbrol but really glossy and nothing like as good.

Think you'd need to see it in use, doesn't want to be glossy, worth a punt perhaps?

Sounds like they messed with the formula, which they tend to do. I've got some very old tins of metalcote and it was good.

• Like 2

Little update:

Got the damaged zimm finished on the hull and the turret. The gun mantlet was a pain. Now i'll let it dry before i'll start with the basecoat of redbrown factory primer.

20220921-203636.jpg

20220921-203629.jpg

After that my idea is to spray a coat of dunkelgelb on the whole tank. The parts were the zimm is damaged i'll do some heavy chipping so the redbrown will be visible. After that i'll work on painted bare steel chips. I think that will give the tank the right look. 

Edited by Maddoxx77
Forgot the photo's
  • Like 5

Another top-tip from Japan for you stowage fiends and it is quite simple (in theory😉).

"Advance T26E3 in Cologne. Use nitrile gloves for cloth luggage. Black color is adopted so that it will not stand out even if it is peeled off. Natural wrinkles can be reproduced, so it is dramatically more realistic than putty."

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Another top-tip from Japan for you stowage fiends and it is quite simple (in theory😉).

"Advance T26E3 in Cologne. Use nitrile gloves for cloth luggage. Black color is adopted so that it will not stand out even if it is peeled off. Natural wrinkles can be reproduced, so it is dramatically more realistic than putty."

That's worth a try. It looks very realistic. Tnx!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

No worries. And knowing how well paint sticks to nitrile gloves this could be a serious goer. Might try a bit on my Stug.👍

I wonder how you can shape it the right way. Pva glue? 

17 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

I wonder how you can shape it the right way. Pva glue? 

Following his twitter thread the material seems to keep the shape you want without PVA or other strengtheners. He makes the rough shape of the tarp, roll etc., attaches it to the vehicle, in a couple of places, with superglue and the material then is still flexible enough for some additional tweaking. Primer and paint is then enough to keep it in shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So back to the workbench.

Tonight i started with the paintjob. 

I started with the redbrown factory primer. And then some preshading with dark brown.

20220922-202248.jpg

Then i decided that the tank needed some battle damage in the form of shell impacts.

As usual i copied the nightshift technique with a dril, putty and the back of a small brush.

20220922-204932.jpg

20220922-204443.jpg

It looks a bit crude on the photo's but this was before i finished the detail work. 

I sprayed two layers of hairspray with the airbrush to get a more even layer.

When all was dry i gave the whole tank a coat of dark yellow. Working with some highlights on the raised hatches. I thinned the paint 50/50 and worked with several thin layers. Who new redbrown and dark yellow turns green 😳🤣

After a few coats the dark yellow looked right.

I finished the evening with the chipping of the places where the zimmerit is missing. Apperently the dark yellow was not thin enough because when i started chipping with water and a paintbrush whole chunks of paint came off..... 🤬

I proceeded carefully with a toothpick doing only the edges of the zimmerit.

20220922-215520.jpg

20220922-215532.jpg

20220922-215523.jpg

When everything is fully dry i'll give it a coat of semi gloss varnish and then go over the parts with some sponge chipping to tie it all together.

When all that zimm chipping is done i can proceed with the camo. That will be another challenge.

I'll keep you guys posted. 

For now...... cheers! 👍👍👍

20220922-221553.jpg

• Like 4

A Scotch man. If you ever visit Edinburgh go on one of the Whisky tasting tours.👍

For a future project I bought these Gruppe Fehrmann decals. I'm liking some of these colour schemes but with little source material I'm thinking they are more guesswork than realistic. Should be a fun project nonetheless.

p?i=e43dcd4ab293b8f5e4476e0760564836

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

A Scotch man. If you ever visit Edinburgh go on one of the Whisky tasting tours.👍

For a future project I bought these Gruppe Fehrmann decals. I'm liking some of these colour schemes but with little source material I'm thinking they are more guesswork than realistic. Should be a fun project nonetheless.

p?i=e43dcd4ab293b8f5e4476e0760564836

Edinburgh is on my bucket list! Those are nice schemes. The gruppe Fehrmann Tigers were hybrid versions, slapped together with spare parts and repaired front vehicles. Nightshift did the F13. He used reference pictures but i'm guessing there not very much out there on other Tanks of the same battle group. Very interesting subject though.

• Like 2

His F13 is one of my go to videos. I have been pinching some of his tips for my Sturmtigers.😀

I'm veering towards one of the 'grey' turreted ones. The Dragon kit is crammed full of stuff so i should be able to make up one.

• Like 2

I have to correct myself on my last post. These Tanks didn't came from the front. The Gruppe Fehrmann used old Tigers and Panthers from the Bergen training ground. They were upgraded with whatever they had; zimmerit, new tracks, etc. There were a total of 6 Tigers. All early types. Number of Panthers is unknown. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

So back to the workbench.

Tonight i started with the paintjob. 

I started with the redbrown factory primer. And then some preshading with dark brown.

20220922-202248.jpg

Then i decided that the tank needed some battle damage in the form of shell impacts.

As usual i copied the nightshift technique with a dril, putty and the back of a small brush.

20220922-204932.jpg

20220922-204443.jpg

It looks a bit crude on the photo's but this was before i finished the detail work. 

I sprayed two layers of hairspray with the airbrush to get a more even layer.

When all was dry i gave the whole tank a coat of dark yellow. Working with some highlights on the raised hatches. I thinned the paint 50/50 and worked with several thin layers. Who new redbrown and dark yellow turns green 😳🤣

After a few coats the dark yellow looked right.

I finished the evening with the chipping of the places where the zimmerit is missing. Apperently the dark yellow was not thin enough because when i started chipping with water and a paintbrush whole chunks of paint came off..... 🤬

I proceeded carefully with a toothpick doing only the edges of the zimmerit.

20220922-215520.jpg

20220922-215532.jpg

20220922-215523.jpg

When everything is fully dry i'll give it a coat of semi gloss varnish and then go over the parts with some sponge chipping to tie it all together.

When all that zimm chipping is done i can proceed with the camo. That will be another challenge.

For now...... cheers! 👍👍👍

20220922-221553.jpg

I like what your doing here. You can see your preshading through the dg layer. The oxide primer is nice and red/bright, I like that as it shows more interest and contrast. Damage looks convincing as well. Good job so far.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

His F13 is one of my go to videos. I have been pinching some of his tips for my Sturmtigers.😀

I'm veering towards one of the 'grey' turreted ones. The Dragon kit is crammed full of stuff so i should be able to make up one.

Stef I was just going to say I like the look of the middle grey/yellow ones and hoped you’d do one of these. 

• Like 2

This morning i finished the camo scheme on the kit. Not my best work. Maybe i need a new ( better quality ) airbrush. 

I think the colors are a bit too pale so i think i'll do a second pass with a darker green and reddish brown. 

When the camo is done i'll continue with the detail chipping. 

20220924-130636.jpg

20220924-130917.jpg

20220924-130616.jpg

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, echen said:

Can't quite read the text on the cam diagram. Was this a Tiger from Herr Wittmans unit?

That could be. It was from the Schwere SS panzer abteiling 101 at villers-bocage in 1944. As far as i know that was the unit Wittmann was also part of

• Thanks 1