Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

Hello all.....had a chance to do some catch up on the forum. I wanted to drop this in the thread. Not having sen all of this thread, it being a long one; but I came across this on Youtube. Thought it was a good one as you get to see a lot of details on the Tiger one in restoration, especially some components and how they went together. Impressive work they have completed to date.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hello all.....had a chance to do some catch up on the forum. I wanted to drop this in the thread. Not having sen all of this thread, it being a long one; but I came across this on Youtube. Thought it was a good one as you get to see a lot of details on the Tiger one in restoration, especially some components and how they went together. Impressive work they have completed to date.

It makes you wonder who was or is crazier - Henschel's designers or the guys from the restoration team 🤪

Great video-thanks for that 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, echen said:

Thanks @Redcoat2966 A very interesting film. I think it shows a little why Tigers were so expensive to build in the first place!

41 minutes ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

It makes you wonder who was or is crazier - Henschel's designers or the guys from the restoration team 🤪

Great video-thanks for that 👍

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. From what I've read it took 250,000 man hours per vehicle and 300,000 Reichmarks in cost. I have to take my hat off to that young chap, very talented in metal work indeed - even down to making the wing nuts from scratch. I wonder how long before they embark on the full interior and up and running.

Hi all, 

Ok so took me a while but  finally finished Tiger 1, 201 from the 301 FKL about two months ago but only just finished all the figs and dio to go with it: Here's a link if interested in the rest if the dio.

Its very heavy on the battles scars and weathering but wanted to have fun with it and as said before its ends up a wreck in two month from depicted, (so trying to show a bit of foreshadowing of it fate.)

b0dc40959f4a65b0b33fa04391f98356.jpg

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/tiger-tank/tiger-tank-number-322-2/

Hope you like and massive thanks to all on this thread for your advice and help (I loved working with the oils but will take a long long time before I get the hang.)

Its all brush painted with Vallejo acrylics, homemade mud and castle arts oil paints.

P1020856

P1020855 P1020854 P1020853

I know the 201 decal is too small but all I had and I hand painted the rhimboid 301 insignia.

P1020852 P1020851 P1020850 P1020848

The shells are tamiya, the figs are miniart (not much cop at all and should have replaced the heads with hornets heads but I'll know for next time. )

Tarp on the side (grey one) is too thick and made from milliput. The green tarp on the turret it a baby wipe ( Set with paint and PVA) and I think much better and I will use this for tarps in the future. 

Thanks all.

Paul

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

Great job! The fruils certainly look the part. What camo scheme/unit will you be going for?

Tiger 1 number 331 from the Schwere Panzer Abteilung 503 Battle of Kursk

The camo will be just Dark Yellow

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VinBizz4786_ said:

Here my Tiger 1 from Border Mode, with Voyager Photoetc, Aber fenders, PazerArt Rommelkiste, & Friul Tracks

dsc_9720.jpg

dsc_9721.jpg

dsc_9722.jpg

dsc_9723.jpg

dsc_9724.jpg

Stunning work mate ..... can't wait to see a coat of paint on this bad boy well done

A little progress with the running gear on my 1/72 Revell Tiger I Ausf E. Both sets of running gear are still detachable for weathering etc.

y4mPNGUrFcvlrYW26M8Plu7YzWx9oAwUEB1KX7uq

y4mP7o57dfVgCnBqiq3pVlrywBo2IKE-_vJHEPuU

y4m1sT9NH_sOKgNHPqbS8_bxzamjHU1n81ePV5bZ

In retrospect, looking at the above (now that I've posted it for all to see) the outer rollers would not be worn on the outer edges as nothing rubs there to wear them.

The sprockets need some work too,

Next on the agenda is some zimmerit.

Edited by echen
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

My second Sturmtiger. This is the excellent RFM kit done as one photographed at Sennelager, supposedly, on its way to Elsdorf.

The camo is a bit harsh at the moment but this should hopefully get calmed down a lot during weathering. The dots were painted with my fancy-schmancy airbrush I treated myself to during lockdown. Unfortunately after numerous botched attempts, lots of splattering, thinning of paint etc. I finally realised the needle had a hook which needed sorting out. I've only used once before so I was either a clumsy oaf or it was sold bad.🤨

p?i=2c2aac175dc55452efb75181c890ff06

p?i=7efb35ceb28d34deea715117ecae7a8f

• Like 11

Very nice Stef, lovely work with the airbrush! :like:

With a filter it'll all blend really nicely.

This hooked needle you mention....arn't they supposed to look like that, most of mine do! :facepalm:

• Haha 2

My initial attempt at zimmerit on my Tiger I Ausf E.

y4mvDJmKxa6rlUL9xj6FndMLtveB-TJfyQyQTtMQ

Much too heavy

Especially when compared to the OOB moulded zim on my Dragon Jagdpanther.

y4m6NTesBgVInX_MuDXEnBxlvaQcAoPJDtYspJq8

y4mjTVl-KVDzaWUoWrf6DUQtihy7uG0V7NNHLBNK

Now I know what I'm aiming for and the "greenstuff" beckons.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, echen said:

Now I know what I'm aiming for and the "greenstuff" beckons.

Just a thought, the moulded on zimm on your Jagdpanther reminds me of Lee's @Longbow approach. Why not try replicating that in 1/72 but using a much smaller mesh?

The Jagdpanther looks nice btw.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

@Jasper dog Thanks for your comment. The JP does, indeed, look quite promising; there's engine and cooling system detail to go in under the rear deck and some etch covers for the vents so it'll be an interesting build.

As for the zim on the Tiger I'm aiming at a Schwere Panzer Battalion 503 vehicle from Herr Rosen's company. The zim on these appears to have been the columns of horizontal rows so maybe I'll try the waffle pattern on another one one day.

Have you a link to @Longbow's approach?🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, echen said:

@Jasper dog Thanks for your comment. The JP does, indeed, look quite promising; there's engine and cooling system detail to go in under the rear deck and some etch covers for the vents so it'll be an interesting build.

As for the zim on the Tiger I'm aiming at a Schwere Panzer Battalion 503 vehicle from Herr Rosen's company. The zim on these appears to have been the columns of horizontal rows so maybe I'll try the waffle pattern on another one one day.

Have you a link to @Longbow's approach?🙂

Hey... I covered it in a couple of threads, but don't know how to search for my older threads. 

There's one in a Stug III G build, and another in the Panther Group Build from a year or two back.

Sorry I haven't been around much, folks. I've been crazy busy at work, and Real Life stuff, lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Longbow said:

There's one in a Stug III G build, and another in the Panther Group Build from a year or two back.

Thanks @Longbow Now I know where to look. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I decided I did not want to include all the fenders.

y4moVBg55HjdZ94QcrXqK3065uDcMvTtBFPgNeZ5

So I drilled the ones I want to fit so they'll be aligned when I remove the ones in between. I can put stretched sprue pins through the holes to retain the individual sections.

y4mA4Yyj3b_60rHEA3BPThiN3T2wNWaGBGgMca5k

Next, I started the zim.

y4mnsPGorQmQjrU2LXEnlSXpIUzPLhOme1f-t2mn

But I spread the greenstuff (kindly supplied along with the necessary tools by @M3talpig) too thickly and achieved a similar result to my model filler zim as illustrated earlier in this thread.

The beauty of using putty is that it stays workable so I rolled it out and spread it thinner - several times - between attempts at making the pattern.

y4mjonkYMfSzLGi4dfq-AuLBcDHo8A60Xe5E3l45

Got it this far. Doesn't look too bad from a distance and hopefully will look better with some basecoat on it................................ 😅

Edited by echen
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, echen said:

I decided I did not want to include all the fenders.

y4moVBg55HjdZ94QcrXqK3065uDcMvTtBFPgNeZ5

So I drilled the ones I want to fit so they'll be aligned when I remove the ones in between. I can put stretched sprue pins through the holes to retain the individual sections.

y4mA4Yyj3b_60rHEA3BPThiN3T2wNWaGBGgMca5k

Next, I started the zim.

y4mnsPGorQmQjrU2LXEnlSXpIUzPLhOme1f-t2mn

But I spread the greenstuff too thickly and achieved a similar result to my model filler zim as illustrated earlier in this thread.

The beauty of using putty is that it stays workable so I rolled it out and spread it thinner - several times - between attempts at making the pattern.

y4mjonkYMfSzLGi4dfq-AuLBcDHo8A60Xe5E3l45

Got it this far. Doesn't look too bad from a distance and hopefully will look better with some basecoat on it................................ 😅

Didn't use the tools or the putty i sent you then..... :blink: 

• Confused 1