Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

3 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

I was going to ask why you don't use an acrylic base, but i now understand you need the base oil coat to be blendable. On that note, how long does it stay blendable and how long to totally dry?

I normally leave the first base of oil for a day to thicken but not so it sets completely that way it remains workable, but not so soft that the layers of lights and shadows pull of the base but blend,the whole thing once done and left to dry is two to three days and then a light pass of lucky matt varnish (acrylic) to finish things of. They do remain delicate though but as we dont play with these things that shouldn't be a problem.... as for the colours themselves , i really wanted to keep things simple, i'am at heart a vehicle modeller not a figure painter and so like you watching the tutorials i realised i was out of my depth, that kind of multi layering requires an artistic flair that i don't have, also i think that the use of acrylics means to get smooth transitions from colour to colour needs the multi technique to get none eye jaring blending, acrylics definitely requires more skill and patience which i don't have :D give it a try as i said this is a rough guide so may not suit your style but you could always play with what i have done and come up with your own path.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, M3talpig said:

I don't paint the eyes ....never could do that without it lookin googly...... so just a highlight pass on the lower lid and a dark pass under the brow is enough for me to suggest the eyes are there.

I'm so glad you said that, It's the whole eye thing that fills me with fear and dread when it comes to the prospect of painting a figure, to be honest, I did a couple of figures for a vignette about 20 years ago, painted them to a reasonable standard, but the eyes just looked googly and stupid (as you say) I went round and round in circles trying to stop them from looking googly and stupid, gave up, and threw them away, and never done any figure painting since, and all I had to do was use highlight and heavy shadow to disguise the fact that the eyes are not painted, I'm a flippin idiot sometimes, I really am.

As the others have said, awesome work, quality advice Steve ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I'm so glad you said that, It's the whole eye thing that fills me with fear and dread when it comes to the prospect of painting a figure, to be honest, I did a couple of figures for a vignette about 20 years ago, painted them to a reasonable standard, but the eyes just looked googly and stupid (as you say) I went round and round in circles trying to stop them from looking googly and stupid, gave up, and threw them away, and never done any figure painting since, and all I had to do was use highlight and heavy shadow to disguise the fact that the eyes are not painted, I'm a flippin idiot sometimes, I really am.

As the others have said, awesome work, quality advice Steve ;)

Years ago i used to do a lot of the Verlinden 120mm figures, i did the eyes on those and they looked good but in 35th i have been unable to carry the process over, and to be honest the eyes on 35th can be very hit and miss, some figures have crisp clear casting in that area but most of the figures i have bought of late have been very wishy washy..... and when i get to a stage were im happy with the face i have to ask myself "will adding eyes at this point really make that much difference?"99 times out of 100 the answer is no, but as i have said im not a figure painter, for the most part they just need to add scale. :D

• Like 2

Running gear done and all joined together to make painting and weathering easier later..... 

spacer.png

Now it's time to do the clean up of this little lot and assemble

spacer.png

• Like 8

Aye aye aye......  my fingers they bleed i need a drink or five :beer:

To be fair to Fruil they seem to have stepped up their game almost no clean up on these or the other sets i got.

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 10/05/2022 at 21:42, M3talpig said:

All the retexturing is done

The retexturing is a thing of beauty, very subtle.

10 hours ago, M3talpig said:

fingers are numb

You know you've done a set of Fruils when your fingers hurt like hell, and they do look good, worth the pain ;)

• Like 3

I have a request to my friends here ...... i need some bits and bobs for my next build and wondered if anybody here could help.

I'm looking for some German infantry equipment gas mask tubes, mess tins, water bottles, and helmets some assorted small arms ...could you have a dig through your scrap boxes and see if you have any of these for me...happy to pay .... reason for asking is i have not been back at modelling long enough to have a good parts box and i'm missing stuff like this which adds a touch of the lived in look to our models.

Thank you chaps :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Numb fingers Mr Pigg ? At least it'll stop you picking yer nose ! :)

I've probably got the crew and weapons etc from a half track you can have ( the body parts might be handy too ! )

update, found 'em there's weapons, helmets, gas mask tins, water bottles, pouches etc etc, PM me your address and I'll post them to you.. Tell me if you want the figures as well (olde Tamiya) if not I'll bin 'em and just send the equipment and guns etc... 👍

Edited by Pig of the Week
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Numb fingers Mr Pigg ? At least it'll stop you picking yer nose ! :)

I've probably got the crew and weapons etc from a half track you can have ( the body parts might be handy too ! )

update, found 'em there's weapons, helmets, gas mask tins, water bottles, pouches etc etc, PM me your address and I'll post them to you.. Tell me if you want the figures as well (olde Tamiya) if not I'll bin 'em and just send the equipment and guns etc... 👍

You star ...PM incoming :yahoo:

7 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I will have a look Steve this evening. I'm sure I have a few spares, Tamiya likely, in a box.👍

Thanks so much Stef you are also a star :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 2:59 PM, Cerberus said:

It's the whole eye thing that fills me with fear and dread

I used to paint eyes on 1/35th figures.

a) my eyesight was a lot better then

b) my hand was a lot steadier

c) they weren't eyes painted to the exacting standards seen here. Just white across the eye area, a small black spot/streak across the eyelids to cross the white area where the pupil would be and then flesh colour to cover in round them.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I have this set of extras but it maybe the same as @Pig of the Week 's. They came from the "Hanomag" kit.

p?i=d2f6f079280308280a0a52f56cf11853

If you can spare them they would go to a very good home here, let me know if you want anything for them as i said i'm happy to pay. send me a PM ....and thanks again guys.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Has this kit been mentioned??

I don't believe so ...Das Werk are normally reboxed kits from other makers though, not sure if this is or not. anybody know?....

Bench is looking a mess ...always a good sign... and the tiger is starting to get the brass and solder treatment ...signature 501 headlamp mounts done and mudflaps fitted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 15/05/2022 at 16:43, M3talpig said:

I don't believe so ...Das Werk are normally reboxed kits from other makers though, not sure if this is or not. anybody know?....

I saw it had moulded on zimmerit so suspected an old Dragon kit re-badged and boxed and it looks like it. Scalemates has it as a 2008 version originally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

moulded on zimmerit so suspected an old Dragon kit

Probably..... moulded on zimmerit is a big put off for me and the main reason i don't buy Dragons kits ...well that and the price tag :P

3 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Coming along nicely Steve. My bench is still shut down, much to my disappointment. Hope to be back up and running in a month or two. I'm enjoying the build so far......:yes:

Just good to see your still floating around mate ...hope your well:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2022 at 17:34, M3talpig said:

signature 501 headlamp mounts done and mudflaps fitted.

When you mentioned lamps I thought you were talking about the spots on your bench Steve, what you been doing? Filming the moon landings for NASA again... 🤣

And, is it just me or do Tiger 1's look better with those early style/Tunisian front mudguards? They seem to fit the boxy look better, but anyway, fantastic brass work as normal, looking forward to more of this ;)

• Haha 1