Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

That's not just nice, that's a cracking Tiger and piece of workSteve, really nice.......the figures really make the piece. Wish I had the patience to do them, as they do make this scene as you have built here......10 out of 10. Is this something you intend to enter for anything.......like a show or somewhere....if not, I think you should consider.

I have a question for you on Tigers.....or anyone else on this thread. Is this something real or just some fantasy something or other..... :wonder:

9M95fGc.jpg

Supposedly it's a wooden sapper “Bruckentafel”....I've never seen anything like this before.

Is there some photo evidence of it in use?

Any help would be appreciated as I would get it and put it on the Tiger I have languishing in the wings.

Cheers

Simon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

That's not just nice, that's a cracking Tiger and piece of workSteve, really nice.......the figures really make the piece. Wish I had the patience to do them, as they do make this scene as you have built here......10 out of 10. Is this something you intend to enter for anything.......like a show or somewhere....if not, I think you should consider.

I have a question for you on Tigers.....or anyone else on this thread. Is this something real or just some fantasy something or other..... :wonder:

9M95fGc.jpg

Supposedly it's a wooden sapper “Bruckentafel”....I've never seen anything like this before.

Is there some photo evidence of it in use?

Any help would be appreciated as I would get it and put it on the Tiger I have languishing in the wings.

Cheers

Simon.

To everyone who has commented many thanks for the kind words............. and Simon i had no plans to enter anything into competition, i do it for my own pleasure and love to share with you guys but no plans to show in public.

As for the above i have never personally seen these fitted to Tigers ....but i'm sure i got a pic or two somewhere in my collection of them fitted to Panthers...will try and find them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

To everyone who has commented many thanks for the kind words............. and Simon i had no plans to enter anything into competition, i do it for my own pleasure and love to share with you guys but no plans to show in public.

As for the above i have never personally seen these fitted to Tigers ....but i'm sure i got a pic or two somewhere in my collection of them fitted to Panthers...will try and find them

Cheers Steve........and yes, Panzerart do the Panther alternative too........look forward to seeing anything you have. Looks something un-usual to have on the Tiger I I'm trying to finish.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

i had no plans to enter anything into competition, i do it for my own pleasure and love to share with you guys but no plans to show in public.

Does this have the wiff of a politician saying I have no plans for, Just before....:winkgrin:

Sorry Steve, not sure I like it.....

...because I can't find anything to fault it on, dam you and your secret pact with Beelzebub!

Lovely job there old fella, figures are the cherry on the cake, great improvement on the boss eyed swamp donkey I usually see hanging around my builds! :blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

A Little digging around............... 

spacer.pngspacer.png

cheers Steve, thanks for that. I think I might go for the Panzerart upgrade. Or…..I might scratch build it. Have to see how the purchase budget allows….many thanks again for confirming for me👍👍👍

• Like 1

As per your finished job on the previous page Mr Pigg...to quote Ian Carmichael in the old 70s wine avert, "it's really jolly good"....

The bloke with the pipe looks properly pi55ed off at something tho doesn't he.. :)

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Haha 1

Ps i bet that scrapyard with the panther and the merc was a good one to root around in !

Back in the 90s we used to go to a tank scrapyard in Kent, ostensibly to buy NATO green paint, but they were quite happy for us to go and spend an hour or so climbing over, and inside, their old tanks, pity no one had phone cameras back then....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

As per your finished job on the previous page Mr Pigg...to quote Ian Carmichael in the old 70s wine avert, "it's really jolly good"....

The bloke with the pipe looks properly pi55ed off at something tho doesn't he.. :)

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Ps i bet that scrapyard with the panther and the merc was a good one to root around in !

Back in the 90s we used to go to a tank scrapyard in Kent, ostensibly to buy NATO green paint, but they were quite happy for us to go and spend an hour or so climbing over, and inside, their old tanks, pity no one had phone cameras back then....

from what i understand that Panther is now part of the wheatcroft collection or was part of ......can't confirm that though perhaps its awaiting restoration ...the info could be wrong though.......and thanks for the kind words ...yeah he does look cheesed off dont he :P perhaps he sucked to hard and got a mouthful of hot baccy:jump_fire:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

cheers Steve, thanks for that. I think I might go for the Panzerart upgrade. Or…..I might scratch build it. Have to see how the purchase budget allows….many thanks again for confirming for me

The Panther looks like an Ausf A but the Tiger is a late production..... i wonder at what year they started fitting these mods to them? either way what an interesting model ....cant wait to see what you come up with :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I've followed this thread for a long while (and always enjoyed the craic as they say here in NI) and finally got my bottom into gear to add something. My big cat will be this beauty below: its number 201 from the 301 flk got into a bit of a tear up with a pershing in Feb '45 and ran back into a house and got stuck. I think you'll agree it has plenty of character:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/tiger-tank/german-tiger-tank-201-spzabt-301fkl-in-elsdof-1944/

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/tiger-tank/tiger-tank-number-201/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/391531761336466869/

I've been doing a bit of research for it: I'll be adding it to a diorama set in Lucherberg/Lindern (greater Aachen area) around nov '44, whilst still active. Its been on my mind and planning for about a year now (had the kit since June last year). 

P1020731

The model is: Shake and bake as you guys say but handy for us starters!!!

P1020732 P1020733

I've made a start with diy zim texture using a broken up mini jigsaw blade and cheap filler. For the turret I'll try out Milliput and see how this compares:

51963773551_968490943c_b.jpg P1020736

I'm not sure the teeth on the jig saw blade are quite deep enough to make the horizontal indents into the filler? But then again with a bit of paint on, might not be too bad? I'll let you guys be the judges.

You can see I've also added some battle damage, the extra putty around the exhaust covers are to simulate a little extra rust texture ad general detritus of war. I'll work on these a bit more as some might look like to much?

P1020739 P1020738 P1020737

I'm gonna have to try and source some decals for this, I just need large black and white '201' numbering, something oddly difficult to find, if anyway one knows of where to get these relatively cheaply in UK then please let me know? Was half thinking of using a online custom made jobby (again if anyone knows a cheap one?).

I'm gonna try and do the rhmboid 301 abt insignia on the back myself (just hand painted with a little masking.)

Best for now,

Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
added comment
  • Like 2

On 27/03/2022 at 11:49, Muchmirth said:

Hi all, I've followed this thread for a long while (and always enjoyed the craic as they say here in NI) and finally got my bottom into gear to add something. My big cat will be this beauty below: its number 201 from the 301 flk got into a bit of a tear up with a pershing in Feb '45 and ran back into a house and got stuck. I think you'll agree it has plenty of character:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/tiger-tank/german-tiger-tank-201-spzabt-301fkl-in-elsdof-1944/

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/germany/tanks-2-3/tiger-tank/tiger-tank-number-201/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/391531761336466869/

I've been doing a bit of research for it: I'll be adding it to a diorama set in Lucherberg/Lindern (greater Aachen area) around nov '44, whilst still active. Its been on my mind and planning for about a year now (had the kit since June last year). 

Nice to see your finally making a start on your Tiger...and an interesting lady too by the looks of it, take some time bud and give us some of her history, people are watching and inspiration is always a good driving force for the average modeller. looking forward to this progressing, While I'm here what did you use for your Zimmerit.....thinkin it might be a little on the heavy side and might give you  problems later down the road when its time to apply around the tricky parts of the turret and in particular the mantlet...otherwise mate a good start indeed  :goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 10:40 AM, M3talpig said:

spacer.png

I think I've stumbled across the inspiration for your model...

spacer.png

(Just a little messing about on Photoshop!)

Wonderful figure modelling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

spacer.png

Dang… I did have to look twice at that !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

spacer.png

Dude that's brilliant............. it looks so period ..like Longbow I had to do a double take........fantastic 

• Thanks 1

On 01/04/2022 at 07:27, M3talpig said:

Nice to see your finally making a start on your Tiger...and an interesting lady too by the looks of it, take some time bud and give us some of her history, people are watching and inspiration is always a good driving force for the average modeller. looking forward to this progressing, While I'm here what did you use for your Zimmerit.....thinkin it might be a little on the heavy side and might give you  problems later down the road when its time to apply around the tricky parts of the turret and in particular the mantlet...otherwise mate a good start indeed  :goodjob:

Thanks M3talpig. 

This tiger belonged to Panzerabteilung funklenk 301 who were drafted into the Ruhr area as a 'fire brigade' unit in late oct '44. They were sent in to join another heavy tank battalion, the schwere panzer Abteilung 506, in the 'defensive' area of Aachen's envrion, who has been their since early oct. The 506 had bee outfitted with tiger twos in aug/sept time and the 301 had gained a mish mash of tiger 1's from various units (luckily for me bearing a mixture of markings and camouflage schemes). The 301 had been established on 9th of September 1942 in south Russia. It had used the, by 1944, largely redundant, Borgward IV demolition carriers, hence its naming of 'funklenk', meaning radio controlled. These carriers were basically stuffed with explosives and sent out into the field to detonate its target. The unit previously used various tanks as 'command posts' whilst carrying out their missions. As the war went on and the older more established outfits like the 506 were being equipped with the latest 'kit' and the 301 transformed into a full  compliment of the older kit/tiger 1's instead of using the explosive carriers. In this way they were an unusual kind of unit, I really struggled to find in depth info on them but after some persistence found the setting for my diorama. Aachen itself fell to the allies on 21st of Oct. The 301 and 506th was sent around the small village and towns between the Roer and the Rhine, being attached to various volkgrenadier or panzer grenadier units in plugging gaps and fighting delaying actions during the period of November from where I will be depicting it. 

For the zim I used bartoline muti purpose filler, something I had seen on you tube. It goes on quick and spreads easily (not necessarily giving the best results.) In the pic below you'll see I did a 're-scribe' to make it more defined and seems to have worked ok, thinned it out a bit. 

51969361494_5241626cdc_b.jpg

51969142698_ac4038016a_b.jpg

I then used Milliput for the turret, gun mantlet and front hull: I used a small hobby knife with a squarred off blade to make the individual marks of the texture. It seems to have worked out a lot better than the filler and will be using this for the any future zim projects instead of the filler.

Tiger zim take two

I no have the decals on order from Historex agents/aft, thank for the tip Stef think I found exactly what I needed their! I also got in the 88mm shells which I'll be adding to the rear of the tank once finished.

51969076266_59c1fd1b23_b.jpg

I have quite a few figures (17 in total) to finished before I carry on any more, these figures will appear in the diorama beside the tiger once done. 

best for now,

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried filler zimmerit on my Tiger I Ausf E. It is indeed difficult to manage consistently, dries too quick and splodges all over the job. My efforts in this direction are shown earlier in this thread in all their "glory". I've now got most of it off again. Next on my agenda is @M3talpig's putty zimmerit method now that I have the hang of constructing detachable L&L running gear as depicted in my Pz. III WIP . This was practice in anticipation of detachable running gear and putty zimmerit on my 1/72nd Tiger I Ausf E.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, echen said:

I tried filler zimmerit on my Tiger I Ausf E. It is indeed difficult to manage consistently, dries too quick and splodges all over the job. My efforts in this direction are shown earlier in this thread in all their "glory". I've now got most of it off again. Next on my agenda is @M3talpig's putty zimmerit method now that I have the hang of constructing detachable L&L running gear as depicted in my Pz. III WIP . This was practice in anticipation of detachable running gear and putty zimmerit on my 1/72nd Tiger I Ausf E.

Don’t know if I’m brave enough to scrape the filler of the sides of the hull and re-do with milliput! Not sure how easy it’d come off anyway. Think I’ll chalk it up to experimentation and experience gained and crack on.  
   L&l experience is yet to come as another first. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Muchmirth said:

L&l experience is yet to come as another first. 

Just don't try a Revell Tiger I or a II as your first attempt. The Revell Pz III Ausf L is a dream - unless the carpet monster nicks a link........

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Thanks M3talpig. 

This tiger belonged to Panzerabteilung funklenk 301 who were drafted into the Ruhr area as a 'fire brigade' unit in late oct '44. They were sent in to join another heavy tank battalion, the schwere panzer Abteilung 506, in the 'defensive' area of Aachen's envrion, who has been their since early oct. The 506 had bee outfitted with tiger twos in aug/sept time and the 301 had gained a mish mash of tiger 1's from various units (luckily for me bearing a mixture of markings and camouflage schemes). The 301 had been established on 9th of September 1942 in south Russia. It had used the, by 1944, largely redundant, Borgward IV demolition carriers, hence its naming of 'funklenk', meaning radio controlled. These carriers were basically stuffed with explosives and sent out into the field to detonate its target. The unit previously used various tanks as 'command posts' whilst carrying out their missions. As the war went on and the older more established outfits like the 506 were being equipped with the latest 'kit' and the 301 transformed into a full  compliment of the older kit/tiger 1's instead of using the explosive carriers. In this way they were an unusual kind of unit, I really struggled to find in depth info on them but after some persistence found the setting for my diorama. Aachen itself fell to the allies on 21st of Oct. The 301 and 506th was sent around the small village and towns between the Roer and the Rhine, being attached to various volkgrenadier or panzer grenadier units in plugging gaps and fighting delaying actions during the period of November from where I will be depicting it. 

For the zim I used bartoline muti purpose filler, something I had seen on you tube. It goes on quick and spreads easily (not necessarily giving the best results.) In the pic below you'll see I did a 're-scribe' to make it more defined and seems to have worked ok, thinned it out a bit. 

Strange that you should have been fascinated by this particular vehicle ..... @Longbow was recently doing a Command version of the Tiger 1 with the extra radio sets and antenna mounts ...whilst digging through my info to help with his build I came across info and pics of Tigers which had been converted to radio command and control vehicles for the Borgward carriers ...an interesting Tiger type which was formerly unknown to me ...cant have been very many converted for this purpose and remember thinking it would make for an interesting subject....i think one of the model companies did a Borgward carrier recently as well ...would make a nice pairing on a diorama.....thanks for sharing ...the History is important , at least as important as the model and gives it a frame of reference..............when you do the scene for it please share the build pics of that here as well.

This might help with painting your shells .....

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1