Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

On 22/01/2022 at 12:49, Pig of the Week said:

Or one 'o them red arm bands.. with a white spot... and  a lil' black spidey thing in the middle.....

Definitely not, and that's half of "his problem".

General public in Germany thinks "If you are into military things, you must be a right winger!"

Right wingers think "That Raths guy with his long hair is a communist hippie! And it is a shame to have him run OUR tank museum."

So he faces opposition from more than one side.

But if you listen to him and you are neither a Blitzkrieg-fan-boy (with that arm band) nor an anything-military-hater (seeing those arm bands all over the place), you will realize / have to acknowledge he is doing one hell of a job running a museum in a very professional way and elaborating on all the aspects of tank warfare and not just bragging about the 88-gun or elaborating on slave labor in tank production (and so on). My bet is, his IQ is well above 120, and his political position is a little left from the center.

Edited by Jochen Barett
typo
  • Like 3

It's a good piece of graphic design work. Maybe the Germans should have focused their energies on that.😉 It also highlights the uneven approach to some zimmerit. Atak and others tend to make it too nice and neat. Good photo.👍

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It also highlights the uneven approach to some zimmerit.

I rather suspect that this will be my approach to zimmerit - at least for the first application............................. 😄

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

giving it a go

@M3talpig has been a tremendous help and, once I get the time, will have been a great source of material and advice with all his contributions on this issue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I think the slow dry putty will be key in helping you in your mission. Add in the tools and plenty of patience and you will knock it out of the park (metaphorically rather than literally).😀👍

Well done @M3talpig👏👏

Ok so let's get this in perspective....Steve has sent echen a couple of lumps of wood and some play doh .....jeez this brown nosing needs to stop 🙄😆👍

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, echen said:

IMHO there is significant difference between brown nosing and grateful recognition of somebody being voluntarily most helpful.

Twas merely a joke my friend nothing more nothing less 🙂 👍

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Steve has sent echen a couple of lumps of wood and some play doh

Right firstly it wasn't play doh.....it was plasticine.... yes that's right the quality stuff you heathen :P..... and those lumps o wood were the local Chinese finest bamboo chopsticks converted for the very task of applying the zimm....i read somewhere that that is how zeee Chermans did it in the factory...although their chopsticks were very much bigger.

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

jeez this brown nosing needs to stop

Should have made a set for you so you could more effectively stir the poo:D :poop:

3 hours ago, echen said:

has been a tremendous help and, once I get the time, will have been a great source of material and advice with all his contributions on this issue.

Will try to get some work at the bench this evening to post some piccys of how to .....well at least how i do it anyway...sorry for the delay.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

I was brown nosing as I was hoping to scrounge some stuff off him later on down the line.😉😀

Stef N Brownose.....it has got a certain " ring " to it 😆😆😆😆👍

• Haha 4

OK, quick update.  Work has intervened in my modelling.  I wouldn't mind but even though working from home I'm busy, I've even had to cut down on World of Tanks as well.  January huh!  The cheek though, I'm expected back for two days a week going forward with rumours of three!   

So... all of (most of) the interior lower hull bits are on skewers ready to undercoat and then with the blue grey.  I will post piccies when I've done this as it will show real progress.  What doesn't show real progress is the 38 ammo pouches I am half way through painting - see not just doing nothing.  They are as fiddly as hell though.  Yes to the rivet counters, there are 40 in the kit but two went "ptwang" when cutting off the sprue.  They are really tiny.

Hope to do lower hull parts this weekend and then after will start with pin lining and details on the radio and drivers "dashboard".  One step at a time :fingerscrossed:

• Like 4

Having received a set of tracks from a kind fellow BMer I'm planning their attachment to the running gear.

First step is to get the wonky tracks off the sprocket with a view to ending up with a usable part.

y4mYJK8-6ROaYkxYroE5HgeaLpbUCZis_SM7SkV- y4mPjmzZqh0KkFPV0zXWh9boL9Wy9-MSjKjFyg7n

The sprocket will require some tidying/repair in places and some of the outer teeth will be removed to accommodate the unperforated indy links.

To facilitate painting I plan to build detachable running gear.

y4mCVHUQUt6LhDh7y89LQTNIOhe8kLII94O8JF8V

To ensure the tracks are square I plan to fit the indy links to sprocket and idler so as to enable correct positioning of the lengths across the top and bottom runs. 

Next step might be to place the inner (green) wheels and the middle (yellow) wheels on their axles with no cement and to, initially, cement the lengths just to the top of the yellow wheels. 

Once the lengths are fixed in place and square across the wheels' tops and bottoms I can paint everything before adding the inner and outer wheels to complete the running gear.

Comments and suggestions welcome, especially if anyone sees a flaw in my plan!

• Like 5

I'm tempted by the new ustar kit for a interior tiger 1, should I take it over the ryefield kit? I'll gues it'll be cheaper and easyest to build since it's the first time I want to do a interior kit. I want to do the corrections too (or at leas tthe one that are going to be visible like the roadwheels). The kit allow to model 111 from spzabt 505 but doesn't provide the non standard bin it had.

The innacuracies are on tiger1.info review and I got remotivated on my flammpanzer so i worked on the roadwheel and hull today https://tiger1.info/models/products-page/US006

Glad I can post again, I don't know why I had all those errors before.

Edited by aurelien wolff
  • Like 4

@echen apologies i haven't been on to do a "how to" on the zimmerit but the pics didn't really work out the way i would have liked and trying to film the process on a mobile phone was honestly just a waste of time.....if you watch Nightshifts zimmerit vids you will get the idea.

For a while now i have been having an internal fight with myself on how to best display my tanks....i like dioramas but they quickly turn into a whole model in there own right and the vehicle you spent so much time on gets swallowed by the scene, not really what i wanted, store bought bases are nice but at some point they go out of production and you end up with some vehicles on matching bases and some not..again not what i want .....OCD is a real pain :D... so after some thought i wanted something that i can make from the ground up myself, something that made my tanks look like a collection done by the same model maker and something simple so the vehicle was the main feature, i also wanted to do something different with the name plate.......so this is what i have come up with..simple and easy to do with very basic materials and just places the vehicle in some kind of context with a figure or two for scale but not necessarily telling a story.

The base is made from two pieces of fibre board laid one on top of the other and all the detail is made from plaster of paris and then hand carved the fence is just to add a little interest , the storm drain and manhole are resin castings.

spacer.png spacer.png

For the plaque i decided to do a German WW2 dog tag with the info punched on like a real dog tag (the first tag i did had perfect lettering and looked wrong so the second was done without the jig so some of the lettering was misaligned)...instead of stainless i decided to do it in brass and tried to keep it just the model number, battalion, place, month, year,.....

spacer.png spacer.png

I have similar bases planned for the other four vehicles i have done along with figures for each of them ...German vehicles will have German dog tags and U.S vehicles will have dog tags that reflect their country...the bases will be painted and lacquered to give a nice attractive finish and hopefully will make all my vehicles look like a well finished set as opposed to a random collection of models.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, M3talpig said:

if you watch Nightshifts zimmerit vids you will get the idea

Thanks @M3talpig. I just had a quick look at Night Shifts tutorial - most enlightening.

Your bases look good. One day I'll try something similar - I've been collecting the Airfix 1/76 ruins whenever I see them cheap with just this in view.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aurelien wolff said:

Question: was the raised segment turret of the first tiger (p) ever considered for serial production or it was just a stop gap?

Thanks for your answers!

Not sure what part of the turret your talking about bud ....have you got a pic or reference.

This might help though....

https://tiger1.info/EN/Turret-shape.html

7 hours ago, M3talpig said:

@echen apologies i haven't been on to do a "how to" on the zimmerit but the pics didn't really work out the way i would have liked and trying to film the process on a mobile phone was honestly just a waste of time.....if you watch Nightshifts zimmerit vids you will get the idea.

For a while now i have been having an internal fight with myself on how to best display my tanks....i like dioramas but they quickly turn into a whole model in there own right and the vehicle you spent so much time on gets swallowed by the scene, not really what i wanted, store bought bases are nice but at some point they go out of production and you end up with some vehicles on matching bases and some not..again not what i want .....OCD is a real pain :D... so after some thought i wanted something that i can make from the ground up myself, something that made my tanks look like a collection done by the same model maker and something simple so the vehicle was the main feature, i also wanted to do something different with the name plate.......so this is what i have come up with..simple and easy to do with very basic materials and just places the vehicle in some kind of context with a figure or two for scale but not necessarily telling a story.

The base is made from two pieces of fibre board laid one on top of the other and all the detail is made from plaster of paris and then hand carved the fence is just to add a little interest , the storm drain and manhole are resin castings.

spacer.png spacer.png

For the plaque i decided to do a German WW2 dog tag with the info punched on like a real dog tag (the first tag i did had perfect lettering and looked wrong so the second was done without the jig so some of the lettering was misaligned)...instead of stainless i decided to do it in brass and tried to keep it just the model number, battalion, place, month, year,.....

spacer.png spacer.png

I have similar bases planned for the other four vehicles i have done along with figures for each of them ...German vehicles will have German dog tags and U.S vehicles will have dog tags that reflect their country...the bases will be painted and lacquered to give a nice attractive finish and hopefully will make all my vehicles look like a well finished set as opposed to a random collection of models.

I particularly like the busted up fence there 👍

And a very cool and original idea for a label as an ID disc....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1