Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

53 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Oh !! Stef’s looking for a fight !! 🤣

Well have to say i agree with him..... seen a lot of models that would most certainly qualify as art.

• Like 1

Just now, Longbow said:

You must have missed that thread 🤣

I did indeed and by the sounds of it probably glad i did .......Bills work above reminds me of this 

spacer.png

Now argue that his work can't be art......very similar feeling conveyed by the two i think, and both done with oils as its base medium

• Like 4

1 minute ago, M3talpig said:

I did indeed and by the sounds of it probably glad i did .......Bills work above reminds me of this 

spacer.png

Now argue that his work can't be art......very similar feeling conveyed by the two i think, and both done with oils as its base medium

Lady Butler’s paintings were always superb !!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Lady Butler’s paintings were always superb !!

Totally agree...this particular one sends shivers down my spine everytime i see it ...you can almost hear the horses breathing and straining at the bit...incredible piece of art 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

spacer.png

Ah, 'Scotland Forever!', one of the few good reasons to brave the one-way and parking nightmare that is Leeds.

The painting is surprisingly small when you see it in the flesh, but fantastic nonetheless. Just needs a Tiger in there somewhere to finish it off. :wink:

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

That is a huge problem especially with figure painting...find a technique and stick with it.....armour you can get away with mixing techniques but i fell into that trap with figures and it just doesn't work find a painter that inspires then just watch and fight the urge to jump in until it's clear in your head what you want from it...i find that having a tutorial playing while im working can help.....and practice on cheap figures first ...might sound obvious but if you can get acceptable results on a poor figure then imagine what you can achieve on a good one.

As for your figure don't use acrylic undercoat use enamel and give the acrylic colour layer something to bite into if you want to do the wash technique....which reminds me.....this is probably the most important thing about figures ...it's not fast....it just isn't... the problem with Nightshift and all these other videos on painting is there compressed timelines ..i for one used to forget this .....what your seeing in ten minutes took them four or five hours to get right and a complete figure might have taken a full eight hour day at the bench just to do the flesh.....so in your brain you're expecting those results fairly fast sadly that's not what you ever get.....The other thing is that somebody like Nightshift does this all day everyday.... not like us who get two or three hours if we are lucky....let me put it this way i have a pile of figures waiting but i know if i want good results i need a week for each one. I hate to admit this but figure painting is most definitely an art it's not the same as vehicle painting its all about opaque application of very precise layers after layer until you get the result you see in your head....and often what we see in our heads outstrips what our hands are capable of in the short time we have at our benches. 

Well at least that's what i have found .....find a technique you feel good about and practice practice practice and be prepared to spend time at it. 

Makes a lot of sense, guess I look at the illustrations on the Alpine box or whoever the maker is and daub away....hoping for one of those Bob Ross "happy accidents" :hmmm:

Try try again.....:hypnotised:

Thanks Steve, really appreciate you taking the time with your advice and suggestions,  not to mention the links, I'll have a read of those. 🤞

Cheers bud.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stef N. said:

In the thread "Can modelling be art" this shows that it definitely can be. Marvellous.👏

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Oh !! Stef’s looking for a fight !! 🤣

Art can be mounted on the fridge with magnets or framed and placed in a gallery...

Difficult one, long running discussion of such on Sprue Cutters Union.  Al Murray considers it art.....difficult to argue with the Pub Landlord!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, echen said:

Perceived problems are an awful mojo killer.

That said your Tiger looks awesome and IMHO your figure looks well on the way to matching the Tiger.

Bringing issues to this forum, in my short experience, generates shed-loads of helpful ideas and techniques and what I've thought of as brick walls are turned to triggers for learning and developing as a modeller.

Glad to see your mojo creeping back.

You most certainly arn't wrong,  you'll get tied up with something and spend hours probably with the wrong mindset and produce a pigs ear!

Absolutely right though, throw the issue to the "team" and more often than not a solution is identified! :frantic:

Whilst I mull over the repaint might drag the Shot Kal back onto the bench or paint the T34

Thanks again, appreciated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Whilst I mull over the repaint might drag the Shot Kal back onto the bench or paint the T34

That's no bad idea ...sometimes a break is needed to reset the mind .....kinda like having a sleep with a problem and wakening with the solution to the problem

Although she doesn't like being called a problem :D

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Longbow said:

"Oi !! Less of your cheek, young Darryl !!"

(He says, viewing the twelve heads mounted to wood blocks, on the bench.)

Jeeez dude, knowing your line of work I really hope we are talking 1/35 plastic or resin..... :yikes:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

That's no bad idea ...sometimes a break is needed to reset the mind .....kinda like having a sleep with a problem and wakening with the solution to the problem

Although she doesn't like being called a problem :D

Dang Bro !!😎

• Haha 1

Hi folks,

here is a couple of figures I have painted during my figure-painting period.

I used Vallejo-Acryl-colors. Not as spectacular as the vignette from Mr. Horan but more

in the timeperiod for Tiger-fans.

Regards

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GI_Joe said:

Hi folks,

I used Vallejo-Acryl-colors. Not as spectacular as the vignette from Mr. Horan but more

Regards

spacer.png

Superb !!

May I make a suggestion chaps. How about painting the figures for a night diorama.....a couple of spots of white strategically placed and that's it ...job done....just saying like 🙂👍

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, GI_Joe said:

Hi folks,

Regards

spacer.png

They are very nice indeed....especially because those camo smocks and overalls are not easy to do even when your an accomplished figure painter...very impressive

• M3talpig changed the title to Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

I had a go at figures when I was about 14, (and my eyesight was a bit better!) I wouldn't even attempt 'em these days

..one thing that I notice that's very difficult to get convincing is the clothing, apart from leather, most cloth is dead matt and the slightest sheen makes it look like a plastic model again.

Darryl.. never mind the figure mate, that's a masterful crate of fruit and veg you've got there.. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1