Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

Just now, Longbow said:

Waddaya mean, "Not gone as planned..."?

It looks ok but not what i saw in my head......i'm having problems getting the setup right on my airbrush so got some spattering ..... i just couldn't put the fine lines i wanted on the model ..... if i get to fine the paint stops flowing if i thin the paint the stuff floods the surface ....followed MIG's instructions on there video about the correct use of their paint ...20psi don't thin the paint as it's airbrush ready yet i still can't get the paint to flow on small openings of the airbrush...so no real control...even tried drying retarder to stop the paint from drying on the tip of the needle ..still no joy.....any way i'm slowly getting the paint were i want just a lot of back and forth with the colours till i'm happy with the look...if anybody has any tips speak up :crying:

23 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

It looks ok but not what i saw in my head......i'm having problems getting the setup right on my airbrush so got some spattering ..... i just couldn't put the fine lines i wanted on the model ..... if i get to fine the paint stops flowing if i thin the paint the stuff floods the surface ....followed MIG's instructions on there video about the correct use of their paint ...20psi don't thin the paint as it's airbrush ready yet i still can't get the paint to flow on small openings of the airbrush...so no real control...even tried drying retarder to stop the paint from drying on the tip of the needle ..still no joy.....any way i'm slowly getting the paint were i want just a lot of back and forth with the colours till i'm happy with the look...if anybody has any tips speak up :crying:

I would still try thinning it a little. Lots of test pieces. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Wheels look great mate, dont like the phrase "not really gone as planned" brings one out in a cold sweat!

I'm no expert in any way shape or form but; Stuff the suggestion don't thin...do thin, quite a lot.

Try turning the pressure right down with really thin paint and expect lots of thin layers to build up the coverage. 

Flow aid might help too, as opposed to just flow retarder.

As I say, I'm deffo in the bodge it and see what happens camp of painting but I do listen to a poo load of stuff on it whilst I'm working, just rarely have time to put it to practice. 

Good luck and be patient old chap!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need to see the topic at hand. 

Once I’ve put the camo on, I usually thin the dark yellow by about 99% thinner, turn the pressure up, and mist the kit. 
This starts the fading of the camouflage, and harmonizes the colors. 

spacer.png

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Longbow said:

We need to see the topic at hand. 

Once I’ve put the camo on, I usually thin the dark yellow by about 99% thinner, turn the pressure up, and mist the kit. 
This starts the fading of the camouflage, and harmonizes the colors. 

So essentially your using the yellow as a filter instead of buying a bottle of Mig or AK yellow filter! 

Shocking suggestion Sir, however will these companies survive without flogging very similar products in different bottles! :shrug:

Think you need to go and have a think about the consequences of your actions!!! :giggle:

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Not a huge update as the camo has not really gone as planned......it's not a big problem but my new airbrush is taking some getting used too.....

The lower hull and wheels are my first point of weathering and finishing as then i can install the parts and concentrate on the rest of the build......

The pics of 213 really show light mud on the wheels and underside of the tank so didn't want to over do it... mixed an oil palette of Windsor and Newton white zinc, raw umber and a touch of yellow ochre for a pass of dry brushing, i then used a base of Vallejo acrylic light mud with a pinch of randomly chopped up static grass blended with tap water to soften the transition .....once dry i used Windsor and Newton raw umber wash to pin wash the mud and the details broke out the AK streaking grime to do oil and grease leaking from two of the hubs as this was a commonly seen effect on both Tigers and Panthers....next job will be to do the polished rims and then some light work with pigments to give a light dusty feel...

There are more photos i could have done but i'm not entirely happy with the camo as yet and want to play around with it a little more before getting pics

spacer.png

Wheels look pretty awesome to me.   

• Thanks 1

Hey Lee, @Longbow, things have gone suspiciously quite from Steve @M3talpigsince he gave us a look at his wheels......

You don't think, again! :fraidnot:

Come on mate don't keep us in suspence,  we need to know!

Looking forward to seeing it with a lick dulux's finest!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hey Lee, @Longbow, things have gone suspiciously quite from Steve @M3talpigsince he gave us a look at his wheels......

I don't want to think about it.... It;'s like a true Greek tragedy, without the poetry.....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

I don't want to think about it.... It;'s like a true Greek tragedy, without the poetry.....

Well said sir!

Let's hope all progressing as it should....:tmi:

Loving some of the details on your pics Lee; Motorcycle combo with no tyre on the spare wheel, bored crew loading ammo, tow cable at an odd angle.

Barbed wire on the exhaust shields  Jerry can on a home made bracket, little bit of scorching from the muzzle brake vents, brilliant.

Loads of little details that could be incorporated into builds!

Thinking of something....:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Well said sir!

Let's hope all progressing as it should....:tmi:

Loving some of the details on your pics Lee; Motorcycle combo with no tyre on the spare wheel, bored crew loading ammo, tow cable at an odd angle.

Barbed wire on the exhaust shields  Jerry can on a home made bracket, little bit of scorching from the muzzle brake vents, brilliant.

Loads of little details that could be incorporated into builds!

Thinking of something....:whistle:

I noticed these things right away too 🤓
That's what makes a dio interesting!
Cool pictures 🥶😁

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

8 hours ago, Longbow said:

Don't panic......just been doing fine adjustments to the camo...still not 100% happy but when are we ever completely happy with our models........ Very early stages at the mo .....will probably be another week at least just doing the weathering...basic oil rendering around the heavy details and some light drybrushing with oils....wheels fitted and tracks being worked on now so the lower hull will be done soon.....no detail painting has been done as yet and probably won't be till near the end of next week....so far total time on the painting to this point is almost thirty hours...and i'm not even close to done :mental:

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Tracks are just needing some pigment work....the parts in light grey base are going to be worked on later and given the light rusty and chipped look...and the engine deck is to show the first pass of oil rendering...a bit all over the place as far as having a set path to doing this but i'm starting to settle in now so it should start to make sense method wise soon 

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Really looking forward to you getting some paint on this ole kitty! 

When will you start?? :winkgrin:

Woah!

Super jelly mate, couldn't pick out a favourite aspect, yet.

You've clearly overcome your earlier airbrush "issues"?

Hope we'll get the full breakdown in due course, always interested....

Before I plagiarise the poop out of it!

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, Jasper dog said:

It's so hit and miss....

spacer.png

6mths ago he came out ok..but now! :wall:

Uncles last video just dropped. 
But when you can give up your day job, and make models for day job, you better be top notch. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Longbow said:

Uncles last video just dropped. 
But when you can give up your day job, and make models for day job, you better be top notch.

Just had the playlist running in the background ...good videos .....

Couple of hours of work and some chipping on the engine deck and the rust effects on exhausts nearly finished along with some soot staining (again rendered with lamp black oils, rust done with a mix of enamels and oils)....still got several hours of just chipping to do but thought the engine deck would give me a feel for how the rest of the Tiger would look once all the chipping was finished.....really happy with the results so far.

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 8