Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

14 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Just do the old thing of calling everyone "John" you can't go wrong then....

I prefer Dave personally.........Trigger had the right idea...............oh s~#t just noticed what @Cerberus just posted :rofl::rofl:

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

;)

Great minds an all that :rofl:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Love this picture, the sign on the front is exactly the same style and font as we used on my Track test (Cat H )  in Germany back in 1990 

"Fahrschule" = Learner Driver 

I knew I had seen that Tiger before  

spacer.png

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Just do the old thing of calling everyone "John" you can't go wrong then.... ;)

OK John

• Haha 4

Right so this question is aimed at Dave, Dave or maybe even Dave...as in Dave's thread he is already doing a lot of scratch building...I new I had a problem to correct with the Tamiya late Tiger (not a problem I don't think on more modern kits) and as such have been putting of this area for a little while while I thunked about how to fix it.

Basically the rear idler is noticeably too large on the Late Tiger.....this is fixable ,I think, with the use of a drill and some careful application of sand paper then rebuild the outer contact disk on the rim (hub is correct scale) ...... when I say drill I mean using the drill as a lathe I need to reduce the rear idler from 20mm to 17.4mm any better way to do this before I grab the bull by the nutz and press on..... ?

Any advice would be welcome ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

any better way to do this

Get a correctly sized one from somewhere else, perhaps?🙂

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Right so this question is aimed at Dave, Dave or maybe even Dave...as in Dave's thread he is already doing a lot of scratch building...I new I had a problem to correct with the Tamiya late Tiger (not a problem I don't think on more modern kits) and as such have been putting of this area for a little while while I thunked about how to fix it.

Basically the rear idler is noticeably too large on the Late Tiger.....this is fixable ,I think, with the use of a drill and some careful application of sand paper then rebuild the outer contact disk on the rim (hub is correct scale) ...... when I say drill I mean using the drill as a lathe I need to reduce the rear idler from 20mm to 17.4mm any better way to do this before I grab the bull by the nutz and press on..... ?

Who is Dave ? I thought it was Stu ? 

Anyhow I think I have a late idler in my Mid kit, let me check and I’ll let you know later Mike :D

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, echen said:

Get a correctly sized one from somewhere else, perhaps?

Well I did wonder weather to ask somebody to lend me a late idler from a newer kit so I could take a mould and I know modelkasten made one once upon a time but I would rather not spend anymore if I don't have to......if somebody can lend me one I would return it undamaged and with several copies in resin for the spares box

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dads203 said:

Who is Dave ? I thought it was Stu ? 

Anyhow I think I have a late idler in my Mid kit, let me check and I’ll let you know later Mike :D

That would be totally awesome .....thanks Brian :rofl:

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

That would be totally awesome .....thanks Brian :rofl:

Just checked and the Mid only has one set of Idlers :huh: 

That will teach me to open my gob without checking first, I know the Dragon late boxing comes with 3 idlers 

so Is anyone building one or has built one and kept the spares ?  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

I need to reduce the rear idler from 20mm to 17.4mm

Realising you're the expert here, and I'm being serious now, might the reduction in diameter of the idler produce a disproportionately narrow rim relative to the correctly sized hub if you'd gone that way? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, echen said:

Realising you're the expert here, and I'm being serious now, might the reduction in diameter of the idler produce a disproportionately narrow rim relative to the correctly sized hub if you'd gone that way? 

The real size of the wheel on all except the final production Tigers was 700mm diameter the size of the diameter on the final production Tiger was 600mm but it was just a reduction in diameter and the hub remained the same as the torsion bar was unchanged....so it literally is just the diameter that changed. I will sand the rim away completely and shorten the spokes then make a new rim at the correct profile

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I will sand the rim away completely and shorten the spokes then make a new rim at the correct profile

Sounds like quite a work-up. I'll watch with interest and hopefully learn something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

The real size of the wheel on all except the final production Tigers was 700mm diameter the size of the diameter on the final production Tiger was 600mm but it was just a reduction in diameter and the hub remained the same as the torsion bar was unchanged....so it literally is just the diameter that changed. I will sand the rim away completely and shorten the spokes then make a new rim at the correct profile

Soooo .... You’re posting these Essays, without updated pix ?

Come on, Steve... Stop stalling :D

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Longbow said:

At this point, I should probably refrain from discussing Tiger wheels. 

a solid Mod Rogering is not in my plans, for today ;)

spacer.png

HI LEE....ALL LOOKING GOOD.....AM I RIGHT IN SAYING THE UNDER CHASSIS/HULL IS TEXTURED?.....AS IN THE MOULD

• Like 2

Just now, Redcoat2966 said:

HI LEE....ALL LOOKING GOOD.....AM I RIGHT IN SAYING THE UNDER CHASSIS/HULL IS TEXTURED?.....AS IN THE MOULD

Yes, Simon. 
the whole thing has quite a nice texture that responds well to primer. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Sorry for late reply, I've been out all day, If question is for me (the new Dave, lol) then you've already got the right answer I think, from looking at the rear idlers on Longbows Tiger, they look a bit fragile, so you need to spin them slow in a Dremal or Minicraft tool, and when I say slow, I mean very slow, (needs to be something that has a speed control, I use a Minicraft) Then just use a needle file, which will act as a cutting tool, sandpaper sometimes works but you risk heat build up even at slow speeds, 20mm down to 17mm is not too much so shouldn't take long, BUT that outer rim (contact face) might look a little odd with even just a small amount removed, I would mark it out first with a pencil line and then just do a look see, to judge what it will look like.

If you can mark them out accurately then you can do them without spinning them, it will just take longer, careful work with sandpaper and good quality needle files, plus a good eye for what a circle should look like, lol ;)

The other way is to just cut new outer rims from card to 17.4mm and then shorten the spokes as you mention, this might be your only option if the above method makes the idlers look wrong.

Dave, lol

;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, after looking at Redcoats rear idlers, they have very short stubby spokes, which I'm guessing is correct, so it might be that if you want very accurate looking idlers then you will have to reduce the spoke length, and put on some new outer rims cut from card, up to you really tbh.

To do that, I would use a rotary bur at each spoke point, take the plastic down until you reach the very end of each spoke, do that on each one, and all the rest of the rim will just fall off, then cut your new rims from plastic card to 17.5mm (finish them to shape) and then just lay the new rims on top of the hub and spokes (get it all centred) then mark each spoke for length, then cut them, and then the new rims should drop on.

Would be tempting to use snips to remove the old rims, but I wouldn't, that's tempting fate, bad things might or might not happen, with a rotary bur nothing bad can happen ;)

Dave...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

So, after looking at Redcoats rear idlers, they have very short stubby spokes, which I'm guessing is correct, so it might be that if you want very accurate looking idlers then you will have to reduce the spoke length, and put on some new outer rims cut from card, up to you really tbh.

To do that, I would use a rotary bur at each spoke point, take the plastic down until you reach the very end of each spoke, do that on each one, and all the rest of the rim will just fall off, then cut your new rims from plastic card to 17.5mm (finish them to shape) and then just lay the new rims on top of the hub and spokes (get it all centred) then mark each spoke for length, then cut them, and then the new rims should drop on.

Would be tempting to use snips to remove the old rims, but I wouldn't, that's tempting fate, bad things might or might not happen, with a rotary bur nothing bad can happen ;)

Dave...

Are you sure you are Dave ? 
This is really confusing now :frantic:

Where did Steve go ? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

No, no,  everyone's Dave now John...

This is just gonna run and run... 🤣🤣  We need a Dave emote, lol

Matt (Dave)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

This is just gonna run and run... 🤣🤣  We need a Dave emote, lol