Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

They look like a cheerful bunch..!  :)

Don't they just  :D............freezing their danglies off probably leading to some of the unusual expressions.......

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

That sounds like positive feedback on your face painting skills.

Like i said did have a little chuckle

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

They have a Aber photoetch sheet listed which contains enough insigna for a lifetime's output.

I shall take a look as i'm getting used to this figure painting malarky and quite enjoying myself....would like to have a go at a complete repose of a few figures just to see if i can do it. Maybe on the other Tiger.

• Like 1

I'd almost given up hope, and was ready to write the money off as I couldn't remember which Far Eastern company I'd bought from, but after three and a bit months this just got delivered:

spacer.png

There's a LOT of plastic in that box. A rummage through just the top two layers of sprues found 4 different mantlets for example.

spacer.png

You get the decals from both standard issues of the kit (Lucky Chinese and Tiki) plus some PE

spacer.png

Can't wait to have a proper rummage then clear all the GB builds off the bench so I can get started. 

Andy

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I'd almost given up hope,

Cool another Tiger on the thread....that should be a cracking kit and lots of fun......i believe the only thing to be careful with on Dragon kits is the instructions..as they can be a bit vague in places...but otherwise i'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

No more figure updates...not getting the right results on the finish using acrylics ...been trying to get the technique down for ages and while the faces didn't look bad the uniforms were just not right......love acrylics for vehicles but too paint good figures subtlety and very careful blending is very important and that's not something i can achieve with acrylics, even with retarder they just set tooooo fast....so i think i will go back to using enamel bases and doing them with oils again....oils are so easy to blend and get good graduation in tones......just ordered some VMS model strip to take all the figures i have back to base and will start again...luckily i haven't done too many so won't be too long to catch up again..........just gotta be done

• Like 1

I'll post this then put my hands over my ears until the screams die down a bit - or the hysterics...............

First attempt at zimmerit.

First I tried very thinned Plasto putty engraved with a saw blade. Laterally 3mm then vertical to create the dividing line. Then laterally 3mm and down for the next divider.

y4mNLSTLNxlItYubLawK_e1fW7Rl0jY2hX-gdgtb I let it dry and painted it - not good. So I sanded off the section in front of the applique side armour. At least it comes off.

Next I tried very thinned Plasto and a 3mm screwdriver.

y4m2Y3Yh5jogahwY1KightDkNZuOmVLkO4KeuH5f Still not good.

So then I tried unthinned Plasto.

y4msRLKNz7UzL4RFb0sq4z58kpWZQKIJbhxuq5b_ Just on the front applique armour panel.

Left it to set a little then used the screwdriver again. I'll see what it looks like when its' dried and sand it a bit to even it up.

(I know Shermans didn't tend to have Zimmerit - it's just I had some spare hulls.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

That's 1/72 scale i assume ?.. I'd think the ridges would be better done with a bit of hacksaw blade or something, maybe ?? 

Perhaps car filler might work ?

It is 1/72 indeed. I tried the saw blade approach and it just seemed to scuff the putty along the job. I'll keep experimenting as I've got a Hasegawa Jagdpanzer IV that really needs zim as it's the early L/48 version.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

irst I tried very thinned Plasto putty engraved with a saw blade. Laterally 3mm then vertical to create the dividing line. Then laterally 3mm and down for the next divider.

I can tell looking at those pics that the material your using is too sloppy and wet ...car filler will be a big mistake as that stuff is based with thinners that will attack the plastic...and again will be too sloppy....you need a firm putty like Tamiya two piece quick drying epoxy or greenstuff or milliput, putty that takes a few hours to set and stuff that if you mess up can be removed without destroying the plastic underneath......and if you want the scale right with the zimmerit you need to measure the front of your Tiger from line to line and divide by 5....... hope that helps

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

and this is my zimmerit tool......a piece of copper formed around a cocktail stick and the end cut to the correct size and ...work in small areas at a time don't rush take your time.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This stuff will work just fine....... is cheap as chips and you can pre roll it into a sheet and apply to your model. Press on and keep the tip of whatever tool you use wet to stop it from sticking and then as said ...take your time ...this stuff takes hours to set fully so you have plenty of time to practice ....if at the end you don't like the result peel of roll it between your fingers to soften then roll into a sheet again and try again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303107980671?hash=item4692a4bd7f:g:nDoAAOSwfideCGup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

Left it to set a little then used the screwdriver again. I'll see what it looks like when its' dried and sand it a bit to even it up.

Also just noticed that your application of filler is too thick......if you get the above greenstuff roll it till you can almost see the plastic underneath once you have the pattern you want ...DO NOT SAND IT.....you will take the top edge of the texture and it will look like a roofers ladder glued to the side of your tank.........zimmerit was hand applied on Tigers it was relatively neat but on Panthers it looked like it was thrown on .....but either way it always looked rough..it was after all a type of concrete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Is the green stuff in the link what you use for weld beads Herr Pigg ?

I've used P38 car filler on plastic kits btw and it's never attacked the plastic for me anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

It's my reserve Zimmerit ;)

I'm reluctant to use it yet as it goes off bloody quick and I'm not fast enought to properly get it done in time :frantic:

P1090684

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As regards driving the Tiger with your head out ( there's moving footage on the above Tiger site of a driver doing just that btw ) here's a diagram from the crew manual showing the controls, interesting to see the steering wheel as regards the vision block, and try to imagine how that relates to the hatch & how you'd manipulate the wheel..clearly was doable tho as has been established !

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

It's my reserve Zimmerit ;)

Well you live ...you learn....i wouldn't have ever considered that ....especially not after seeing how it bites into glass fibre when filling motorcycle race fairing panels......i honestly thought it would damage styrene plastic......still you are only using a thin scrape of it ......i always remember the heat that stuff would throw of during curing when you used plop in large amounts. Not only that but our novice zimmeriter is gonna have to get a move on if i remember correct even with undermixing the hardener you had ten minutes max before that stuff would start to harden off

2 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Is the green stuff in the link what you use for weld beads Herr Pigg ?

Tis indeed

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

As regards driving the Tiger with your head out ( there's moving footage on the above Tiger site of a driver doing just that btw ) here's a diagram from the crew manual showing the controls, interesting to see the steering wheel as regards the vision block, and try to imagine how that relates to the hatch & how you'd manipulate the wheel..clearly was doable tho as has been established !

spacer.png

This makes things a bit clearer....certainly looks awkward but not impossible.......i will find out in August as i have booked a visit to the Tank Museum......going for two days so i can fill my camera with pics....Tiger 131 will be pictured from every conceivable angle :tasty:

spacer.png

• Like 3

Looks like you'd be able to grasp the wheel with your right hand, right foot on the seat, just to keep on course... and hop down smartish if you had to stop in a hurry !

Your Bovington trip will be useful, you may even get the chance to ask some relevant questions, depending on who's about when you go ! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

Your Bovington trip will be useful, you may even get the chance to ask some relevant questions, depending on who's about when you go ! 

That's the hope as the place won't be packed ...you have to pre book a visit at the moment.... which means, i hope, i might get a chance to speak to some people who work there.........bit nearer the time i will put up a post to ask if anybody wants photos of anything.

• Thanks 2