Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

3 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

that you can't drive a tiger with your head sticking out of the hatch ! ( but I may be thinking of another vehicle )

Now i have heard this too but i have several photos that would say otherwise

in this photo 213 is clearly on the move and the driver is out of the hatch

spacer.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I seem to recall too,  that you can't drive a tiger with your head sticking out of the hatch ! ( but I may be thinking of another vehicle )

And just to prove it's not just a late Tiger that this was possible in here is a 501 initial on route

spacer.png

• Like 4

Just now, Pig of the Week said:

Good finds....Obviously a kind of "urban myth" type thing..!

Not sure ...i'm wondering if they used to side saddle the sponson and just reach in as i have seen first hand the driving position in 131 at Bovington and you do find yourself scratching your head wondering how they did it....i remember a line in Tigers in the mud were they said it was a very light vehicle to steer.

perhaps its like parking a Lambo Countach....you know where you sit on the door seals to reverse into a parking space :D........ but whatever it was clearly possible. 

• Like 1

The tiger had a ( funny looking) steering wheel as the normal driving thing, it had the old style levers as a fall back option too, I'm fairly sure it had some type of power assisted steering.

Clearly you could just reach it with your head out.

I'd think there was a hand throttle you could set and leave at a given revs, I used to occasionally drive an old tractor with that set up years ago, very handy device it was too !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'd think there was a hand throttle you could set and leave at a given revs, I used to occasionally drive an old tractor with that set up years ago, very handy device it was too !

That wouldn't surprise me.....i'm trying to find where i read or heard that it wasn't possible ...because it was definitely somebody worthy of note and i remember thinking at the time "but i have seen photos that make that statement wrong"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Mantlet, I might strip this and start again in all honesty 

Looks good to me, you have done a large percentage with the Tamiya putty (including the hard bit, the mantlet) so would make sense to carry on with the Tamiya putty, looks good to my eye to be honest, if you are still having problems with it sticking to the plastic then try putting a coat of aggressive etching primer on first (Halfords Auto) the putty might stick better to that, test it out first though ;)

Matt

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, M3talpig said:

spacer.png

That's a much better group of figures that seem to fit comfortably in the scene.  One question: are you able to alter the positions of the commander's and gunner's heads so they are looking the same direction as the driver and the figure sitting by the gun barrel?  The two figures at the front of the tank both seem to be looking ahead at something which has attracted their attention but in comparison their colleagues in the turret seem to be paying very little attention to their surroundings.

• Like 1

Personally, and only my opinion, for what its worth. I would lose the guy sitting at the front. He just seems a bit out of place. Think just having the 3 others, as they are will look great.

George

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Richard E said:

That's a much better group of figures that seem to fit comfortably in the scene.  One question: are you able to alter the positions of the commander's and gunner's heads so they are looking the same direction as the driver and the figure sitting by the gun barrel?  The two figures at the front of the tank both seem to be looking ahead at something which has attracted their attention but in comparison their colleagues in the turret seem to be paying very little attention to their surroundings.

yeah i see what you mean about the direction of sight.....a golden rule that i have been having problems with...the commander is turned as far as i can he wont fit any other way and his head is about as far to the right as it can go without looking awkward......but i could definitely lift the loaders head more so he is looking down range with the others............to be fair i'm still working on them and they won't happen unless i can get what i want from them.......but yes your observation is spot on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Geo1966 said:

Personally, and only my opinion, for what its worth. I would lose the guy sitting at the front. He just seems a bit out of place. Think just having the 3 others, as they are will look great.

George

Your the second person to say that.......not sure myself but he is the one figure i would like to work if i can get his stance right........these guys spent a lot of time buttoned into these vehicles and any excuse to get out of them at quiet times must have been a welcome distraction.....as said above if i can't get the positions natural and pleasing to the eye then they simply won't be used. I do have a single commander figure in winter uniform as a backup plan to stand somewhere on the base if all else fails.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Your the second person to say that.......not sure myself but he is the one figure i would like to work if i can get his stance right........these guys spent a lot of time buttoned into these vehicles and any excuse to get out of them at quiet times must have been a welcome distraction.....as said above if i can't get the positions natural and pleasing to the eye then they simply won't be used. I do have a single commander figure in winter uniform as a backup plan to stand somewhere on the base if all else fails.

I must admit I like the figure on the front so persevere with him if you can.

It's more work and the agravation of finding another suitable figure but would the commander's pose make more sense if he was talking to someone standing next to the tank ? 

54 minutes ago, Richard E said:

It's more work and the agravation of finding another suitable figure but would the commander's pose make more sense if he was talking to someone standing next to the tank

Think i have sorted the commander figure now some minor adjustments to the torso and i have him all lined up with the others ...the loader had some minor tweaks to the neck and shoulders and he is now looking ahead as well

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 8

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Think i have sorted the commander figure now some minor adjustments to the torso and i have him all lined up with the others ...the loader had some minor tweaks to the neck and shoulders and he is now looking ahead as well

spacer.png spacer.png

Stunning simply stunning your crew look spot on and complement the rest of your work. 

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A small update on the figures.........all have been pre shaded and so have the heads .....thinkin the crewman sat on the front will have a splinter camo tunic with white trousers or maybe the commander not sure yet but the rest will have their white coats and trousers..... never done the reversible splinter scheme before thought this might be a good time to try

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 7

First of the bunch.......sadly i realised while doing this his crusher is in fact a Waffen SS design ....nothing i can do about it so i will have to live with it...3 to go

spacer.png

• Like 7

Ref - Can you drive a Tiger 1 with your head out the hatch?

Pictures suggest yes, BUT, the drivers and gunners hatches are offset by a very large margin, almost half over the sponsons, not even close to being directly above the drivers and gunners seats, this is what led to the opinion that you can't drive a Tiger 1 with your head out the hatch I think? Could be considered a design flaw, and I think there were plans to fix this, but anyway, I don't think the driver would be very comfortable driving with his head out the hatch, as he would have to contort his body quite a lot to do so?

Did they maybe field mod these Tigers to make it easier to drive head out?

Matt

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Ref - Can you drive a Tiger 1 with your head out the hatch?

Pictures suggest yes, BUT, the drivers and gunners hatches are offset by a very large margin, almost half over the sponsons, not even close to being directly above the drivers and gunners seats, this is what led to the opinion that you can't drive a Tiger 1 with your head out the hatch I think? Could be considered a design flaw, and I think there were plans to fix this, but anyway, I don't think the driver would be very comfortable driving with his head out the hatch, as he would have to contort his body quite a lot to do so?

Did they maybe field mod these Tigers to make it easier to drive head out?

Matt

I surmised that you could probably set the hand throttle to chug along at a moderate pace ( like i used to do with the tractor !)  freeing you from your foot on the gas, and assuming an open road with no likely sudden stops!..  then sit yourself up on the back of the seat or even stand on the seat and reach down to grab the top of the steering wheel to keep on course...if you were really daring you could rest your feet on the bars of the wheel and steer accordingly ! I'm sure the tiger had powered steering so wouldn't need much force I'd say.

What we really need is an opinion from someone who drove one in real life !

BTW Matt...your dog scared the $hit out of me when it started blinking !  Thought I was imagining it at first.. 😱

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M3talpig said:

First of the bunch.......sadly i realised while doing this his crusher is in fact a Waffen SS design ....nothing i can do about it so i will have to live with it...3 to go

spacer.png

The badges look very iffy anyway, why not sand them off and use decals, I'm sure there's sets of 1/35 insignia you can get for figures..there's bound to be standard Wehrmacht cap eagles and oak leaf cockades etc..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I think there were plans to fix this, but anyway,

There are indeed plans for teardrop shaped hatches that were to be one of the upgrades for the Tiger 1 but were never implemented..........im sure if you dig around on Tiger1.info there is the drawings on there somewhere.

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

The badges look very iffy anyway, why not sand them off and use decals, I'm sure there's sets of 1/35 insignia you can get for figures..there's bound to be standard Wehrmacht cap eagles and oak leaf cockades etc..

Honestly i did not think of that.......i shall have a look around on Historex and see what they have...........Excellent idea Mr pigglesworth.

• Like 1

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Well i must have done something right when i painted these faces...when i took the photo the camera flashed a warning saying "make sure nobody blinked when you took the picture" ...had to giggle, any way i'm no figure painter but i'm fairly happy with these so far...... they all have there own character and that can't be a bad thing.

spacer.png 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well i must have done something right when i painted these faces...when i took the photo the camera flashed a warning saying "make sure nobody blinked when you took the picture" ...had to giggle, any way i'm no figure painter but i'm fairly happy with these so far...... they all have there own character and that can't be a bad thing. 

That sounds like positive feedback on your face painting skills.

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Honestly i did not think of that.......i shall have a look around on Historex and see what they have...........Excellent idea Mr pigglesworth.

They have a Aber photoetch sheet listed which contains enough insigna for a lifetime's output.

• Thanks 1