Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

18 hours ago, Richard E said:

I've got to ask: what breed is said "cute fluffy dawg" please ?

I think it's a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) used to be known as a Shetland Collie, and that's not my dog btw, it's just a nice doggie pic, but if I did get a dog it would be a Collie. ;)

Matt

28 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I think it's a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) used to be known as a Shetland Collie, and that's not my dog btw, it's just a nice doggie pic, but if I did get a dog it would be a Collie. ;)

Thanks Matt

Thought it might be a Collie or similar breed or even:

49723733172_d2a02561bb.jpg2020-04-01-001-(WO) by richard.everett3, on Flickr

Meet the Corgi who thinks I work for her :)

Enough of the canine distractions - back to the Tigers...

• Like 3

There was a Flying Tiger in my man-cave this afternoon!

It only had a flight of about 15-20cm....................................vertically downwards.

No prizes for guessing which part took the place of the landing gear.

y4mct7JpTI3g36Hz2dCHK_KV0lz9UufOdA8kARvF

I found one link on the bench under where it landed, a block of 3 links 2m away on the floor and the remaining 2 have disappeared. Thankfully I have some spare links but I was planning on using them as additional armour supported on a bar across the front between the track runs rather than round the turret as specified in the destructions.

Grateful if someone could let me know if this would not have been done on this mark of Tiger 1.

• Sad 2

Well the progress on this Tiger is moving along far faster than 100 did ........Tiger 213 is a last production Tiger of the 503rd Pz.Abt and i will be showing her as she appeared on the retreat through France........ so first things first ...get the basic hull and turret done take care of textures and weld beads that were missing ....not as labour intensive as Tiger 100 as a lot of this vehicle has zimmerit and as such those weld seams will be hidden beneath that...so no point in doing those....still doing research on 213 so still lots of unknowns but i now have period pics of her from both sides.

some pics of progress

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Have you finished Tiger 100? or just working on two at once now?

Yes kinda...........still trying to find figures to suit but for the most part it's done ..when the figures are in place i will update the RFI post.... 

18 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

nd what are you using to create those flame cut edges? they look very realistic 

a broken swann morton scalpel blade ...lightly scratch across in one direction then repeat in the opposite direction then some liquid glue to soften the detail a little.....the pics make it look far more drastic than it actually looks in life 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

What's the base kit you're using for this one btw ?.. ( you probably mentioned it somewhere back there but to save me hunting for it ! ;) )

Tamiya late production 35146......which is surprisingly rather good.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Look what I found the other day, stashed away in an old plastic storage box years ago, I can't even remember why I bought it tbh 

Gladly pay you a fair price for that if it is surplus to requirements....love books on the Tigers ...seriously let me know :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Well then me old Dreikopfhund, you'll have to make one now too... ;)

Think he might have enough on his plate taming a Grizzly much less a Tiger as well :rofl:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Gladly pay you a fair price for that if it is surplus to requirements....love books on the Tigers ...seriously let me know 

It will probably be surplus to requirements yes (I have very little time spare, for building a Tiger) I'll let you know, don't worry ;)

Matt

• Like 1

Got fed up tryin to find resin figures to use on Tiger 100.................soooooooo i ordered some Miniart winter panzer crew.........now there a bit ropey and i spent last night chopping hands and feet of and repositioning to try and get some nicer more natural poses and to make sure hands and feet are doing what there supposed to ...also decided that the heads were unusable so had to do some fairly lengthy drilling and reposing of those too...found two sets of Verlinden German tank crews which had to give up their heads for the greater good...upshot think they look ok ....still lots of clean up needed on the plastic parts as they were pinned together straight of the sprues. Think after cleanup and filling they might just cut the mustard........watcha think

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

Also done a lot more with the groundwork and added more muck on the tracks and just in general tied the vehicle to the base better

• Like 9

They're v. nicely done with the modifications, my only concern, and this is just my impression, to me they now rather overpower the vehicle, that's assuming the tank is the main display subject, obviously if it's intended as more of a mini diorama that's another story ! Again just imho.. ;)

You'll no doubt paint them well and they'll look the business 👍

• Thanks 1

Another micro update from me, been having a few issues with the Zimmerit in all honesty 

and its not been going smoothly - Excuse the pun :frantic:

I've been working on other areas of the Tiger, staying away from the Zimmerit  just to think it through. The Magic Sculpt 

is too soft made worse by having to keep the tools wet makes the putty like soft cheese !!  

The Tamiya Putty is just a touch too hard so I'm going to experiment with heating it up slightly to make it a bit more soft 

but not too soft. 

Anyway some progress shots, front mud guards have been cut off - ready for some brass ones to be fitted. 

P1090676

P1090677

I did manage the front plate Zimmerit 

P1090678

Loaders Hatch 

P1090679

Mantlet, I might strip this and start again in all honesty 

P1090680

P1090681

Enjoy 

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

The Tamiya Putty is just a touch too hard so I'm going to experiment with heating it up slightly to make it a bit more soft 

but not too soft. 

Thats next for me on my Tiger ...the dreaded zimmerit...haven't decided what to use yet...and don't have any Tamiya putty so it won't be that.......A guy called Tony Greenland used white milliput on all his Tigers and must say his Tiger collection was the best i have ever seen  and still is...might go that way and we all know that stuff sticks to everything......messing with figures at the mo so i can finish 100 off.....but 213 is sitting there looking impatient so i should probably crack on

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

So you'd advise against magic sculpt for Zimmerit then..?

I'm finding it just to soft for it to work bud... Once you get the roller or stamp wet to stop it from sticking 

it really does take on the consistancy of Philidelpha soft cheese :o 

Now Steve mentioned Milliput, the Tamiya Putty has a similar feeling to Milliput, I did use Milliput years ago 

to do a whole heap of German armour Zim so I might give it a blast again and see. I'll report back with my findings. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

They're v. nicely done with the modifications, my only concern, and this is just my impression, to me they now rather overpower the vehicle, that's assuming the tank is the main display subject, obviously if it's intended as more of a mini diorama that's another story ! Again just imho.. ;)

You'll no doubt paint them well and they'll look the business

Yeah you might be right ...still umming and arring about them ...there was five figures in the kit but that was definite overkill so my excuse is the Gunner is keeping warm inside the turret........ still gotta try these things you never know it might be the finishing touch or it may be overkill....we will see

• Like 2

I'm experimenting with revell plasto diluted with thinners for zimmerit application at 1/72. tried scribing with a hacksaw blade but that didn't work too well. I'll try a small screwdriver blade next time I try. Will post again when I have any more to offer.

Edited by echen
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Now Steve mentioned Milliput,

Tony used to apply really thin and to stop it sticking to the tool he would brush it with talcum powder....does work as i have used this technique before 

I think figure sculptors sometimes blend different types of putty to get the best of both, so a blend of milliput  and magic sculp , or green stuff and milliput , might  work for the Zim?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

I think figure sculptors sometimes blend different types of putty to get the best of both, so a blend of milliput  and magic sculp , or green stuff and milliput , might  work for the Zim?

If i remember correctly Bill Horan used to do that when figure sculpting....... been a while since i read his book ...might have a dig through it again and see what putties he used

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yeah you might be right ...still umming and arring about them ...there was five figures in the kit but that was definite overkill so my excuse is the Gunner is keeping warm inside the turret........ still gotta try these things you never know it might be the finishing touch or it may be overkill....we will see

I'd say the bloke sitting out on the front is the one that really distracts from the tank, again just my impression..( he's very well done as a figure, don't get me wrong, )

I seem to recall too,  that you can't drive a tiger with your head sticking out of the hatch ! ( but I may be thinking of another vehicle )