Sd.Kfz 181 Tiger 1 SUPERTHREAD

M3talpig

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

I'm going to presume to offer an opinion.

An excellent base but I think the height of the single telegraph pole unintentionally overpowers the scene and distracts from the obvious star of the show.

Respectfully 

Actually Richard i very much appreciate the honesty............. i'm still working on it but i think you may well be right...... the photos don't really help either as they were rushed but i have been having second thoughts on the pole...the reason for it was the reference pics of that period i was working from show these poles all over the place ....wanted something to add some height to the scene and seemed a good idea .....but as i said i think your point is valid. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, well how about this, an artillery shell/HE has smashed the telegraph pole just above that angled strengthening pole, and the remains of the top portion are laying on the groundwork, either in the road, or at the side of the road, plus you could have some tangled wires as well, then you get to keep the telegraph pole, but reduce the height problem ;)

Just a thought...

Matt 

Edited by Cerberus
reasons
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andy J said:

So rather than buying another kit I've decided to finish one i started a while ago. Although there's a couple of issues with the build due to my lack of knowledge and experience at the time I think it deserves finishing off warts and all. So after the SU-122 I will commence work on this kit below 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Maybe a set of Fruil tracks is required 🤔 

I think that deserves some chunky tracks and a good coat of paint as it looks a bloody good build to me.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Ok, well how about this, an artillery shell/HE has smashed the telegraph pole just above that angled strengthening pole, and the remains of the top portion are laying on the groundwork, either in the road, or at the side of the road, plus you could have some tangled wires as well, then you get to keep the telegraph pole, but reduce the height problem ;)

Just a thought...

Matt 

That sir is a bloomin good idea and one that did spring to mind last night when Richard dropped his observation........it was either that or a road sign pole cluttered with signs and troop info (had very little luck finding decent reference though) ....worked on the groundwork some more last night. a few pics of the progress ...hoping the figures will turn up today and gonna have a dig through a few more pics to see if i can find something to fill the spot where the telegraph pole stands........might even snap it in half and play with some positioning and see what floats

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

I'm going to presume to offer an opinion.

An excellent base but I think the height of the single telegraph pole unintentionally overpowers the scene and distracts from the obvious star of the show.

Respectfully 

You were spot on Richard..........funny how something like that can stare you in the face and still not be obvious...... a case of not seeing the wood for the trees :D

spacer.png

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

You were spot on Richard..........funny how something like that can stare you in the face and still not be obvious...... a case of not seeing the wood for the trees :D

spacer.png

Perfection in miniature 

Please save the decapitated telegraph pole idea for your next project though.

• Thanks 1

I was also thinking the pole looked a bit tall and overpowering tbh...I'd have gone for a somewhat larger base myself and prob not a wavy squiggly shape, but that's just me...the snow and muddy slush look good ! ( is that the precision ice stuff ?)

You'd need to have a load more muck ground into the treads of the track too I'd say...

Just observations, what you're doing does look excellent..

Edited by Pig of the Week
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I think that deserves some chunky tracks and a good coat of paint as it looks a bloody good build to me.👍

Thanks Stef I'll order some fruils for it so if anyone out there knows the actual code for the correct tracks for this Tiger could you let me know please and I'll get some ordered 🙂👍

7 hours ago, M3talpig said:

spacer.png

Yep have to agree looks better without the pole 🙂👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I'd have gone for a somewhat larger base mysel

didn't want to do that as then its a diorama not a display base............. in fact i think given its job it's too big ...my other two projects below.....see i do them just for a little context and normally a single figure...... not everybody's cup of tea but i don't have room for dioramas

prob not a wavy squiggly shape

There is method behind the madness ....there is no front back or sides when you do a base like this....so i can display showing whatever side of the vehicle i please ........

You'd need to have a load more muck ground into the treads of the track too I'd say.

Can't argue there .... spot on observation  :thumbsup:

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 13

Damn it.................. very disappointed....... figures turned up but there's a bit of a problem........... on the left is the figure by "The Bodi" on my reckoning about 5ft 2in and on the right "Evolutions" U.S. G.I.................. used a scale calculator and the U.S figure come in at 6ft...wasn't aware the tank crews in German service were midgets  :( Standing next to the Tiger he looks like a child

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Actually the panzer guy looks spot on for a HJ kid in a uniform that's too big for him

That's a really good point........ still i'm working on them now...hopefully i will have the problem solved by tonight :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 16:00, M3talpig said:

And why may i ask are we not seeing pics of this build on this thread......Mr escape this is just not cricket sir ...i must insist on a higher level of participation........now pull your finger out :rofl:

As promised:

AE14DB67-74D3-49EA-9E33-1C874F58E19D

750893D9-369C-4852-9523-510D9F33787E

0DE1B5F6-8CE0-47BA-8176-B9E187E4582C

F0DDB3C7-DE13-43F8-BD3E-C897B733CB02

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Great Escape said:

As promised:

Looking good ...if i may ...the figure could use a coat of matt clear just to finish ...but otherwise looking very Tiger 1 ...........you know big and mean :goodjob:

9 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Looking good ...if i may ...the figure could use a coat of matt clear just to finish ...but otherwise looking very Tiger 1 ...........you know big and mean :goodjob:

Ha, ha. The funniest thing... it was matt but I gave the jacket a thin gloss coat as I was trying to get it looking more leather-like!!!

• Haha 1

On 10/04/2021 at 15:42, Andy J said:

Thanks Stef I'll order some fruils for it so if anyone out there knows the actual code for the correct tracks for this Tiger could you let me know please and I'll get some ordered

ATL-025 I think for an early Tiger 1? Which should be the ones with a smooth(ish) track face (i.e. without the little angled built in ice cleats for extra grip) 

Matt

• Thanks 1

Back in the mancave after a winter working in the study. So messy jobs now possible.

The wonky track runs, though corrected a little, still need some mud to clog the gaps.

y4mSidV9V6chC4BztSFzqskxN4AR2uNzoEWYREtI y4mZsVqftNBEUj_VRneioxGuAYdogBX9jCJ7qyeM

y4mFneQXqWr82jVDnn_aQ_glDUu5WtlVqwEJ5FS5 

Now with added mud to cover the gaps.

y4mH9w-xm1WPf1GLhrHhHRWAM_W5ksgbsAohD0aF

y4m7nv4Nub7x2bzaIp_0YC_MX_aT_hwViQ0pcMKk y4m1BgvwJmnz6per2WpELmBcFkTYXbqWrApwRgPK

Still lots to do. The "mud" needs some attention but at least there's been some progress.

• Like 8